Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Extra pilots in squadrons, good for dealing with fatigue?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Extra pilots in squadrons, good for dealing with fatigue? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Extra pilots in squadrons, good for dealing with fatigue? - 6/29/2011 4:45:20 PM   
String

It just occured to me. Pilot fatigue is tracked by individual pilots if I'm not mistaken. As a result, shouldn't having extra pilots in a squadron, say 25 pilots in a 16 plane squadron, help spread out the fatigue and keep it down a bit?

Obviously it only works if you have pilots to spare, but if you do, why not?

Surface combat TF fanboy
Post #: 1
RE: Extra pilots in squadrons, good for dealing with fa... - 6/29/2011 5:04:51 PM   
GreyJoy

It does. I realized it some time ago when i was comparing the different fatigue levels of my air squadrons at Karachi. The more pilots you have - compared to the number of operative flying planes - the less avg fatigue the squadron suffers.
It seems to me that the system rotates automatically the faitgued ones with the fresh ones.
Let's say you have 24 pilots for 16 planes. So with 0% rest 16 pilots fly that day, while 8 stay down and rest. Be sure that the next day those 8 who didn't fly will fly and the system will call the 8 less faitgued pilots that flew the day before, leaving in their rooms the 8 more fatigued.

So it's better to always have more pilots than needed...obviously you need good pilots not to see a decrease of the squadron performances but it perfectly works in this way

(in reply to String)
Post #: 2
RE: Extra pilots in squadrons, good for dealing with fa... - 6/29/2011 8:32:21 PM   
Lifer

This works up to a point.  I don't think the program selects who flies by the lowest fatigue.  I am pretty sure that once a pilot's fatigue hits a threshold then he is rotated out of the flight schedule.  I have seen pilots in the 30's and 40's flying missions when others are at zero. 

Greg

Man does not enter battle to fight, but for victory. He does everything that he can to avoid the first and obtain the second.
Ardant du Picq

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 3
RE: Extra pilots in squadrons, good for dealing with fa... - 6/29/2011 8:47:47 PM   
Wally Wilson

I've always assumed based upon observation that having more pilots than planes positively affects the fatigue level. That's how its done in RL air forces. As a corollary assumption, adding raw pilots will also reduce the experience level (and adding vet pilots will increase it). This only makes sense, and one would hope the developers modeled this aspect into the game.

(in reply to Lifer)
Post #: 4
RE: Extra pilots in squadrons, good for dealing with fa... - 6/29/2011 11:13:04 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wally Wilson

As a corollary assumption, adding raw pilots will also reduce the experience level (and adding vet pilots will increase it). This only makes sense, and one would hope the developers modeled this aspect into the game.

They certainly did. If you watch while adding inexperienced pilots to a roster the overall experience of the formation decreases in accordance.

On a side note, it seems to me new air formations are consistently assigned the worst commanders, at least I've noticed this on the Japanese side of things. I'm almost guaranteed to have to change the leader, who usually resides in the 40's in terms of leadership and air skill added to an aggression only in the 30's.

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to Wally Wilson)
Post #: 5
RE: Extra pilots in squadrons, good for dealing with fa... - 7/2/2011 2:16:56 AM   
Wally Wilson

Looking at it in my current game, it appears that the pct of pilots in training hits the lowest experience first. For example, if you have a 50% training level then the lower half of pilots, based on experience, are trained. I'm making this assumption based on and observation of fatigue levels - lower experience pilots of squadrons not in active combat seem to generally have higher fatigue levels.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Extra pilots in squadrons, good for dealing with fatigue? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI