Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Engineers in high mountains

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Advanced Tactics Support >> Engineers in high mountains Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Engineers in high mountains - 6/25/2011 4:08:40 PM   
Jafele

This issue has been discussed before in the forum. As far as I know it has never been reported as a bug.

According to the manual (page 66), you cannot build roads through high mountains.

However, it´s possible when you build FROM the high mountain to an adjacent hex. On the other hand it´s impossible to build from an adjacent hex TO a high mountain. I also noticed that the cost in EP is 40, exactly the same that building from low mountains to low mountains.

It must be a bug because you should be able to build from the mountain and to the mountain. Anyway the infomation shown in the manual is not correct. Furthermore, the cost in EP is very low since building roads or rails through mountains can take years.

< Message edited by Jafele -- 6/25/2011 4:12:02 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Engineers in high mountains - 6/25/2011 6:07:36 PM   
AlanBernardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jafele

This issue has been discussed before in the forum. As far as I know it has never been reported as a bug.

According to the manual (page 66), you cannot build roads through high mountains.

However, it´s possible when you build FROM the high mountain to an adjacent hex. On the other hand it´s impossible to build from an adjacent hex TO a high mountain. I also noticed that the cost in EP is 40, exactly the same that building from low mountains to low mountains.

It must be a bug because you should be able to build from the mountain and to the mountain. Anyway the infomation shown in the manual is not correct. Furthermore, the cost in EP is very low since building roads or rails through mountains can take years.

Since things seem to be working as the manual says, this cannot be a bug. As the manual says and as you say yourself, "you cannot build roads through high mountains."

Building from mountain to mountain, as the manual says, cannot be done. Want you want is the manual to be changed so that this mountain-to-mountain thing is a bug? Seems like an odd request.

It also makes sense, according to the manual, that building out of a mountain into the next hex (you didn't say the type of hex, but I'm assuming you mean something other than a mountain hex) is allowable, but the reverse is not.

With the EP thing, I pretty much agree, for the most part. I see nothing wrong with the 40 EP when building from a high mountain to a clear hex. The road is through the clear hex and not through the high mountain. You obviously cannot be one hex to the left of the high mountain and then use the road to get to the clear hex.

I do think, however, that EPs should be increased to build a road from low mountain to low mountain. It certainly would take a long time to do this in reality, but you're not telling me you want me to wait a whole year before I can build this road? I just don't have that kind of time, and would rather not build the road and continue playing the game.

Alan

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 2
RE: Engineers in high mountains - 6/25/2011 7:18:33 PM   
Jafele

d

< Message edited by Jafele -- 6/25/2011 7:23:51 PM >

(in reply to AlanBernardo)
Post #: 3
RE: Engineers in high mountains - 6/25/2011 7:22:05 PM   
Jafele

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jafele

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlanBernardo

quote:

Since things seem to be working as the manual says, this cannot be a bug. As the manual says and as you say yourself, "you cannot build roads through high mountains."

Building from mountain to mountain, as the manual says, cannot be done. Want you want is the manual to be changed so that this mountain-to-mountain thing is a bug? Seems like an odd request.

It also makes sense, according to the manual, that building out of a mountain into the next hex (you didn't say the type of hex, but I'm assuming you mean something other than a mountain hex) is allowable, but the reverse is not.

With the EP thing, I pretty much agree, for the most part. I see nothing wrong with the 40 EP when building from a high mountain to a clear hex. The road is through the clear hex and not through the high mountain. You obviously cannot be one hex to the left of the high mountain and then use the road to get to the clear hex.

I do think, however, that EPs should be increased to build a road from low mountain to low mountain. It certainly would take a long time to do this in reality, but you're not telling me you want me to wait a whole year before I can build this road? I just don't have that kind of time, and would rather not build the road and continue playing the game.

I´m not a native english-speaker, but I think in the context it means "across the high mountains" (that comes in my dictionary). We have discussed about it, take a look at this: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2827886

This is not an odd request, it could be a misunderstanding or perhaps you´re wrong.

Don´t worry, you don´t need to wait one year during the game. The solution for the game is in the hands of Vic. I just said that in real life it takes years, so I consider that the number of EP and raw required should be higher.

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 4
RE: Engineers in high mountains - 6/25/2011 8:00:21 PM   
Jafele

Alan. It looks you´re right. I´m practicing english at the same time I´m reading everything about ATG. Sometimes I find so difficult to read in english, and commit many mistakes. This is one of them.

Sorry, I´ll try to do it better.

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 5
RE: Engineers in high mountains - 6/25/2011 11:05:14 PM   
AlanBernardo

No problem Jafele. The thing here is that if one is building a road from a high mountain to a hex that is not high mountain, they are not building into a high mountain, the are building away from it, if you get what I mean. In order to take advantage of the road built away from the high mountain, is to be in the adjacent hex, where the road begins.

Now according to the manual, building a road from a high mountain to a high mountain is not permitted: or building to a high mountain from any hex, for that matter.

But your suggestion about EPs and RAW usage I agree with, but that can be modded, which is the beauty of this game. Play it any way you want.

Alan

< Message edited by AlanBernardo -- 6/25/2011 11:09:25 PM >

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 6
RE: Engineers in high mountains - 6/27/2011 11:15:53 AM   
EmTom

It still looks suspicious because you can build a road from high mountain hex to two different other terrain hexes and then the road is going THROUGH high mountain hex :)

I guess it's up to Vic but I would vote for no road from nor to high mountain hexes.

I'm with you since People's Tactics and I love it!

(in reply to AlanBernardo)
Post #: 7
RE: Engineers in high mountains - 6/27/2011 2:26:11 PM   
AlanBernardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: EmTom

It still looks suspicious because you can build a road from high mountain hex to two different other terrain hexes and then the road is going THROUGH high mountain hex :)

I guess it's up to Vic but I would vote for no road from nor to high mountain hexes.

The road "from" any hex does not have a road "in" the hex from which the road is built. To make use of the road, one needs to be in the next hex where the road is built from. If you vote as you say you would vote then that means roads can't be built on any type of hex. This would also mean that if a unit is on a high mountain hex, to go to the next hex, which is say, plains, it would cost the same amount of APs that it costs to move into a high mountain hex. That simply is not the correct way of doing things.

The difference between the two, as I think folks understand:

This cannot be done in any other way, otherwise it makes little sense.

The final result of the road being built from a mountain hex. This does not look suspicious to me, as the road is clearly not going "through" the mountain hex (neither is the bridge):

Alan

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by AlanBernardo -- 6/27/2011 2:32:22 PM >

(in reply to EmTom)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Advanced Tactics Support >> Engineers in high mountains Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI