Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/14/2011 9:19:42 PM   
fmonster

Just saw this go up. Details are here:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?542000-PON-Public-Beta-Patch-1.02

Won't have time today to try it out, but good to see an early patch.

Matrix Games Owned

- American Civil War
- Forge Of Freedom
- John Tiller's Campaign Series
- TOAW III
- War In The Pacific
- War In The Pacific AE
- War Plan Orange
- SP:WaW
- Brother Against Brother
- Carriers at War
Post #: 1
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/14/2011 9:21:40 PM   
Terminus

Sounds good. I'll hold for the official patch.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to fmonster)
Post #: 2
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/15/2011 12:16:44 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Looks like a good list of fixes.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/15/2011 1:07:49 AM   
goodwoodrw

This patch makes a huge difference, much more playable!

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 4
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/15/2011 10:35:07 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Yep, I would agree. A big difference.
quote:

ORIGINAL: BASB

This patch makes a huge difference, much more playable!

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 5
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/16/2011 3:55:42 PM   
SlickWilhelm

It's a great patch, no doubt. But it appears that there are two major bugs that will possibly prevent this from becoming the official 1.02 patch:

1) A bug that prevents the "Admiral Perry" event from firing, thereby opening up Japan to international trade.

2) A bug where crises may default to the North Pole region instead of a more valid region.

Post #: 6
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/16/2011 4:28:23 PM   
tevans6220

My experience is that it's like that with all their games. Patch to fix things but break something else in the process. I've already been through that with AACW, BOA, BOA2, NCP, ROP, RUS and WWI. I don't want to do it again. Some of their games are still receiving patches after 3? or 4? years time (AACW). Some see that as excellent customer service but I'm not so sure. One would think that by now their previous titles would be past the stage of needing patching. I'm afraid that PoN is headed down that same road and that it will only be 2 or 3 years from now that we see it's potential finally fulfilled and all the bugs worked out. It makes me feel like I'm paying to be a tester. It gets old. What's wrong with actually working out the major bugs and kinks before release then patching the minor things that pop up? The crisis system is a prime example. Worked well in 1.01 but in the 1.02 beta it's fubar. How many patches is it going to take before that gets fixed? Like I said it's not a ride I want to take this time. I've been down that road too many times.

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 7
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/17/2011 1:24:03 AM   
goodwoodrw

Another patch has been released overnight, couple of good fixes and additions

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to tevans6220)
Post #: 8
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/17/2011 7:10:54 AM   
jomni

quote:

ORIGINAL: tevans6220

My experience is that it's like that with all their games. Patch to fix things but break something else in the process. I've already been through that with AACW, BOA, BOA2, NCP, ROP, RUS and WWI. I don't want to do it again. Some of their games are still receiving patches after 3? or 4? years time (AACW). Some see that as excellent customer service but I'm not so sure. One would think that by now their previous titles would be past the stage of needing patching. I'm afraid that PoN is headed down that same road and that it will only be 2 or 3 years from now that we see it's potential finally fulfilled and all the bugs worked out. It makes me feel like I'm paying to be a tester. It gets old. What's wrong with actually working out the major bugs and kinks before release then patching the minor things that pop up? The crisis system is a prime example. Worked well in 1.01 but in the 1.02 beta it's fubar. How many patches is it going to take before that gets fixed? Like I said it's not a ride I want to take this time. I've been down that road too many times.

Sounds like WITP. :) This is a common problem for complex games with small development teams. They NEED the buying public to beta test for them.

(in reply to tevans6220)
Post #: 9
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/17/2011 2:52:31 PM   
Phatguy

Well, for the most part I dont mind beta testing patches for games from smaller developers. At least they are putting out patches to fix most or all of the problems. Look at some of these conglomerates out there. One or two half-assed patches and off to the next ripoff......

My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 10
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/17/2011 4:20:24 PM   
tevans6220

Using the excuse of being a small developer just won't cut it anymore. It's no excuse for putting out an unfinished or not thoroughly tested product. I understand that software will never be 100% bugfree. But I don't want to be a tester. Especially a paying tester. I'm not in this hobby to support small developers. I buy games to be entertained.

(in reply to Phatguy)
Post #: 11
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/17/2011 4:53:36 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: tevans6220

Using the excuse of being a small developer just won't cut it anymore. It's no excuse for putting out an unfinished or not thoroughly tested product. I understand that software will never be 100% bugfree. But I don't want to be a tester. Especially a paying tester. I'm not in this hobby to support small developers. I buy games to be entertained.

Very well put! This idea that we have to put up with broken games too support developers is ridiculous. I am sick of the threats that there won't be games like this unless we accept broken releases, that's just stupid. But far too many people accept substandard service and products in all aspects of life, why would wargames be different? If the consumer would demand it, then it could be done. Games can be released in a working and playable manner, if only customers would stop accepting the excuses.

(in reply to tevans6220)
Post #: 12
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/17/2011 10:58:50 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Pocus is honest....I feel good about the man and his release. Ageod is a good company and he will get the kinks worked out. Its a complex game and you know what I think, Pocus doesn't like the bugs anymore than we dp. What about the beta testers....are they not customers and gamers.. Why didn't these gamers catch more of these bugs. Nope I don't completely agree with you fellas. Ive paid more for far worst Junk.......from big Companies who support less. So for you guys who have been down this road before......Please close the door so I can Ride on.....When I get there Ill let e'm know your walking.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 13
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/18/2011 3:22:48 AM   
jomni

I suspect Pardox rushed the release as they don't want to fund the project anymore. 

Post #: 14
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/18/2011 4:33:51 PM   
tevans6220

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

Pocus is honest....I feel good about the man and his release. Ageod is a good company and he will get the kinks worked out. Its a complex game and you know what I think, Pocus doesn't like the bugs anymore than we dp. What about the beta testers....are they not customers and gamers.. Why didn't these gamers catch more of these bugs. Nope I don't completely agree with you fellas. Ive paid more for far worst Junk.......from big Companies who support less. So for you guys who have been down this road before......Please close the door so I can Ride on.....When I get there Ill let e'm know your walking.

Only one thing wrong with what you're saying. Ageod as a seperate entitiy doesn't exist anymore. They're now Paradox France. I have no doubt that the Phils will fix PoN if Paradox allows them. That still doesn't excuse the shape in which PoN was released. And if it was just PoN you could blame it all on Paradox but every Ageod product has needed multiple patches. True some patches added features but most patches only fixed things broken by other patches. We have that now with the PoN beta patches. The first patch broke the crisis system and need a second patch to fix the first patch. Now it seems like they're just throwing beta patches out for customers to test. The same type of thing as they did before. AACW alone has had 15 patches with a 16th patch in beta and that game was released in 2007. Some would call that good customer service but I say there's a problem somewhere. That's not something I want to go through again with PoN. The excuse of being a small developer only goes so far. Maybe for the first one or two titles you can get away with it. But you don't keep making the same mistakes over and over again. It no longer becomes a mistake then. It's more like a habit.

Post #: 15
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/18/2011 4:35:49 PM   
tevans6220

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

I suspect Pardox rushed the release as they don't want to fund the project anymore. 

I agree. It seems as though PoN was rushed. I also suspect we'll see the major patching in the form of expansions just like all Paradox products.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 16
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/18/2011 9:21:45 PM   
hgilmer3

quote:

I suspect Paradox rushed the release as they don't want to fund the project anymore. 

I'm not sure if they wanted to fund it or not anymore, but I'm sure Paradox probably said, "This is the date you will release the game." So, then they got everything they could into the game and fixed as many bugs as possible, and then they released it. They can't say that that is what happened because they would be in trouble from Paradox.

There are obviously some things they knew weren't ready and in game like the majority of leaders and generals and their portraits. Loans are another thing they couldn't get in, but we know it was going to be because they said it would and there is a panel that details loans and interest but it an inactive part of the screens.

They've probably already been given the schedule on which they will release DLC, if any are released. Paradox is like the accountant in this scenario. "You make X money, release it here. If X profit is made, this DLC will be released. Otherwise, you start on another project that we will approve." Paradoxically (pardon the pun (and alliteration)), accountants usually don't even make these kinds of decisions, but it's easier and more understandable to just say the bean counters are making the decisions based on the revenue and profit.

PoN was started before Paradox acquired Aegod so we don't know if they were even truly "behind" it conceptually, since they already had a game that was popular for that period and even a 2nd version of it.

And that's more than I posted in a long time!

KurtC in the WITE PBEM module.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 17
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/19/2011 12:10:12 PM   
Yogi the Great

If it worked like it should, it wouldn't be Paradox.

(in reply to hgilmer3)
Post #: 18
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/19/2011 12:39:53 PM   
jomni

But you gotta commend AGEOD by releasing beta patches under Paradox.  Something not common in Paradox games.

< Message edited by jomni -- 6/19/2011 1:10:14 PM >

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 19
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/19/2011 1:12:41 PM   
Titanwarrior89

That is true.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

If it worked like it should, it wouldn't be Paradox.

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 20
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/19/2011 1:13:14 PM   
Titanwarrior89

This is true also.
quote:

But you gotta commend AGEOD by releasing beta patches under Paradox.  Something not common in Paradox games.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 21
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/20/2011 1:51:28 AM   
goodwoodrw

I may be wrong, but if read between the lines I think Pocus asserted a fair amount of pressure on PI to get a beta patch released. PI were more interested in the gaming convention on at the same time than worrying about the QA of a much need patch,
Just a personal opinion of course. The 2 Phils need to be congratulated on their effort to get 2 patches as soon as they did. I have been following this game since 2007 or there abouts and I like what I have seen so far. It's a pity Matrix didn't take Ageod studios on instead of PI.

Formerly Goodwood

Post #: 22
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/20/2011 10:19:34 PM   
Titanwarrior89

I wish as well that Matrix had still been involved. PI is known for releasing needed patch heavy games.
quote:

ORIGINAL: BASB

I may be wrong, but if read between the lines I think Pocus asserted a fair amount of pressure on PI to get a beta patch released. PI were more interested in the gaming convention on at the same time than worrying about the QA of a much need patch,
Just a personal opinion of course. The 2 Phils need to be congratulated on their effort to get 2 patches as soon as they did. I have been following this game since 2007 or there abouts and I like what I have seen so far. It's a pity Matrix didn't take Ageod studios on instead of PI.

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 23
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/21/2011 3:37:57 PM   
Lützow

Can't really blame PI here, as PoN got developed by AGEOD. And it's not the first time this company released unfinished games. WW1 anyone?

Post #: 24
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/21/2011 6:25:51 PM   
JudgeDredd

Sorry, but wasn't AGEoD only the publisher of WWI, as Paradox is of PoN?

If you are going to play the "Paradox is not responsible because AGEoD developed the game", then surely it's only fair that you DON'T blame AGEoD for WW1 as that was developed by another party - AGEoD published it, as did PI with PoN. (erm...I think :-) )

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 25
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/21/2011 10:41:54 PM   
Joram

Not in this case JD as Paradox owns AGEOD

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 26
RE: Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available - 6/22/2011 10:05:06 PM   
Terminus

As said earlier, there IS no AGEOD any longer. It's Paradox France now, more's the pity.

I don't think they'll leave things hanging as is (bad for business, don't you know) but I'm not a Paradox fan...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to fmonster)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Pride Of Nations Beta Patch Available Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI