Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pacificon - Labor Day weekend

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Pacificon - Labor Day weekend Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pacificon - Labor Day weekend - 6/10/2011 12:06:19 AM   
Joel Billings

September 2-5, there is a game convention in Santa Clara, CA (Silicon Valley). Here's the link to it: Pacificon

Chuck Kroegel, PC game designer, longtime SSI head of R&D and eventual President of SSI is the guest of honor. If you're interested in the early days of computer wargaming, he's a great person to talk to. He's also an avid gamer and collector of games (board, miniature, computer/video, you name it). I'm hoping to make it to the convention for at least Sunday and Monday (possibly Saturday too, depends on my son's soccer tournament schedule) so I can get into a Civil War miniatures battle with Chuck (he always played Confederate to my Union in our old battles in the SSI offices) and get in some strategy board gaming. If you're in the Bay Area, you should check out the convention. With Chuck the guest of honor, maybe some old SSI empolyees will show up (since SSI was located in Silicon Valley). The first large scale market research conducted that led to the creation of SSI was done at the 1979 Pacificon game convention (at least I think it was called Pacficon, back then it was in San Mateo).

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Post #: 1
RE: Pacificon - Labor Day weekend - 6/10/2011 12:11:59 AM   
Ridgeway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

September 2-5, there is a game convention in Santa Clara, CA (Silicon Valley). Here's the link to it: Pacificon

Chuck Kroegel, PC game designer, longtime SSI head of R&D and eventual President of SSI is the guest of honor. If you're interested in the early days of computer wargaming, he's a great person to talk to. He's also an avid gamer and collector of games (board, miniature, computer/video, you name it). I'm hoping to make it to the convention for at least Sunday and Monday (possibly Saturday too, depends on my son's soccer tournament schedule) so I can get into a Civil War miniatures battle with Chuck (he always played Confederate to my Union in our old battles in the SSI offices) and get in some strategy board gaming. If you're in the Bay Area, you should check out the convention. With Chuck the guest of honor, maybe some old SSI empolyees will show up (since SSI was located in Silicon Valley). The first large scale market research conducted that led to the creation of SSI was done at the 1979 Pacificon game convention (at least I think it was called Pacficon, back then it was in San Mateo).

If it ain't GenCon, it ain't nothin' man!

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 2
RE: Pacificon - Labor Day weekend - 6/10/2011 12:57:18 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Wow! That's right down the street from my house. I may have to skip the wife's family reunion...

I remember the old Pacificon/DunDraCons when they were in San Mateo. At first they were at the Villa Hotel, and then moved to the Dunfey when they outgrew the Villa.

Joel, if I can break the shackles with my wife for the weekend, maybe we can hook up and grab a bite to eat?

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 3
RE: Pacificon - Labor Day weekend - 6/10/2011 2:16:33 AM   
PeeDeeAitch

Hmm, maybe a reason for a 2nd trip to the Bay Area this summer?

"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 4
RE: Pacificon - Labor Day weekend - 6/10/2011 2:21:38 AM   
Flaviusx

Dammit, Joel.

You picked the wrong end of California to do this.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to PeeDeeAitch)
Post #: 5
RE: Pacificon - Labor Day weekend - 6/10/2011 3:07:37 AM   
Ketza

Historicon is where its at!

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Pacificon - Labor Day weekend Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI