Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Novyy Rizadey(spoiler dont read if you have not played this scenario)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Novyy Rizadey(spoiler dont read if you have not played this scenario) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Novyy Rizadey(spoiler dont read if you have not played ... - 5/8/2011 3:45:40 AM   
Jugger

I have played the Novyy Rizadey scenario three times now from the German side. I have won once on easy and lost twice on normal. Very impressed with the new graphics and immersive enviromental surroundings. Burning tanks, buildings, and littered trucks and aircraft add to the scenarios realism. Here is some thoughts and observations on my first three games played thus far. Note in all three scenarios infantry platoons were put into defensive hold fire until close assault stance and the remainder were put into defensive hold fire until good shot. Main Soviet forces in all three scenarios attacked from the top of the left hand side of the map towards the middle of the town of Novyy Rizadey and secondary forces attacked directly top to bottom of map from between the middle and right hand side of the map edge. Soviet combat forces was at least a company sized tank force with probably a platoon to company sized tank destroyer and self propelled artillery formation with tank riders and recon attachments. German forces was a understrengthed company with heavy weapons support and attached tank destroyer section with reinforcements.

Game 1.( Easy) Basically deployed my forces in there original set up zones with the exception of the tank hunter team and the panzer IV tank destroyers. Tank hunter team was deployed in woods next to the little green pillbox and panzers in and around buildings protecting there flanks, one covering the left hand side dirt road approach, and the other covering the middle map road approach near the railway station. This setup probably worked the best as German infantry with the intial help of the panzer Iv TD was able to stall the main soviet advance through the tree line. Both German tanks got several kills and hits, but superior numbers eventually ended there day. In the tree line Soviet Tank riders were cut down en masse while several Soviet tanks were either damaged and destroyed in close range combat with panzerfaust anti tank weapons from the Panzer Grenadiers. However once the Panzer Grenadiers ran out of there anti tank ammunition the superior Soviet tank numbers overwhelmed the majority of these platoons with high explosive rounds and machine gun fire. I tried to withdrawl back to the town outskirts the remainder of my panzer grenadiers by popping smoke, but most were cut down in and around the treeline. When the Soviets broke through into the town my flame thrower team positioned in there original setup building killed at least 5 tanks which probably won the game for the Germans stalling the Soviets from taking the vital middle victory objective. Reinforcement platoon of three Panzer IVJ tanks got some kills, but two were destroyed by flanking Soviet tank fire from centre of Novyy Rizadey while attempting to bound to the first tree line behind the village outskirts. The remainder Pz IVJ, I left near a building covering the far right victory objective. This action basically stalled the Soviets in the tree line on the right hand side of the map gaining me precious time to acheive victory. The panther reinforcement moved only a couple of metres before being destroyed by a T34-85 hiding in the woods on its left flank. Due to close combat I did not end up using my assigned artillery barrage, but in retrospect probably should of used a smoke barrage against the tree line to confuse, disrupt the Soviet advance some more. At about turn 13 I was awarded with a marginal victory 62% to 38%. Also failed to mention I was straffed a few times by Soviet aircraft Ilyushin Il-2 Shturmovik which took out some panzer grenadiers. I will post the results of the other battles soon.
Post #: 1
RE: Novyy Rizadey(spoiler dont read if you have not pla... - 5/8/2011 4:11:47 AM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jugger72

I have played the Novyy Rizadey scenario three times now from the German side. I have won once on easy and lost twice on normal. Very impressed with the new graphics and immersive enviromental surroundings. Burning tanks, buildings, and littered trucks and aircraft add to the scenarios realism. Here is some thoughts and observations on my first three games played thus far. Note in all three scenarios infantry platoons were put into defensive hold fire until close assault stance and the remainder were put into defensive hold fire until good shot. Main Soviet forces in all three scenarios attacked from the top of the left hand side of the map towards the middle of the town of Novyy Rizadey and secondary forces attacked directly top to bottom of map from between the middle and right hand side of the map edge. Soviet combat forces was at least a company sized tank force with probably a platoon to company sized tank destroyer and self propelled artillery formation with tank riders and recon attachments. German forces was a understrengthed company with heavy weapons support and attached tank destroyer section with reinforcements.

Game 1.( Easy) Basically deployed my forces in there original set up zones with the exception of the tank hunter team and the panzer IV tank destroyers. Tank hunter team was deployed in woods next to the little green pillbox and panzers in and around buildings protecting there flanks, one covering the left hand side dirt road approach, and the other covering the middle map road approach near the railway station. This setup probably worked the best as German infantry with the intial help of the panzer Iv TD was able to stall the main soviet advance through the tree line. Both German tanks got several kills and hits, but superior numbers eventually ended there day. In the tree line Soviet Tank riders were cut down en masse while several Soviet tanks were either damaged and destroyed in close range combat with panzerfaust anti tank weapons from the Panzer Grenadiers. However once the Panzer Grenadiers ran out of there anti tank ammunition the superior Soviet tank numbers overwhelmed the majority of these platoons with high explosive rounds and machine gun fire. I tried to withdrawl back to the town outskirts the remainder of my panzer grenadiers by popping smoke, but most were cut down in and around the treeline. When the Soviets broke through into the town my flame thrower team positioned in there original setup building killed at least 5 tanks which probably won the game for the Germans stalling the Soviets from taking the vital middle victory objective. Reinforcement platoon of three Panzer IVJ tanks got some kills, but two were destroyed by flanking Soviet tank fire from centre of Novyy Rizadey while attempting to bound to the first tree line behind the village outskirts. The remainder Pz IVJ, I left near a building covering the far right victory objective. This action basically stalled the Soviets in the tree line on the right hand side of the map gaining me precious time to acheive victory. The panther reinforcement moved only a couple of metres before being destroyed by a T34-85 hiding in the woods on its left flank. Due to close combat I did not end up using my assigned artillery barrage, but in retrospect probably should of used a smoke barrage against the tree line to confuse, disrupt the Soviet advance some more. At about turn 13 I was awarded with a marginal victory 62% to 38%. Also failed to mention I was straffed a few times by Soviet aircraft Ilyushin Il-2 Shturmovik which took out some panzer grenadiers. I will post the results of the other battles soon.

Hey Jugger,

Nice AAR. Sounds like some tactics I might need to try.

Thanks!
rick

(in reply to Jugger)
Post #: 2
RE: Novyy Rizadey(spoiler dont read if you have not pla... - 5/8/2011 8:17:27 AM   
Jacko

Interesting AAR. I'm impressed by the AI, the Soviet tanks were handled very good by it in my game. Flame thrower team finishing off five tanks seems a bit too much.  

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 3
RE: Novyy Rizadey(spoiler dont read if you have not pla... - 5/8/2011 9:39:19 AM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jacko

Interesting AAR. I'm impressed by the AI, the Soviet tanks were handled very good by it in my game. Flame thrower team finishing off five tanks seems a bit too much.  

I've played that scenario numerous times, I don't think you'll see that happen very often. I don't think I've ever managed to get more than 2, and often I get none.

thanks
rick

(in reply to Jacko)
Post #: 4
RE: Novyy Rizadey(spoiler dont read if you have not pla... - 5/8/2011 9:45:39 AM   
Jugger

2nd battle (set to normal). I believe I am now faced with a considrably larger Soviet force perhaps a understrengthed tank battalion with company sized tank destroyer and self propelled artillery support. I decided to change the set up areas of my Panzer Grenadier platoons, and left my heavy support weapons basically where the scenario author had put them. My two JgPzIv were once again setup similar to the first scenario in between the buildings. They only have narrow lanes of fire, but being a tank destroyer without a rotating turret this is not such a bad deployment as there main job is to get some intial good kills and to stall the Soviet advance. If these tank destoyers were left in the open they would quickly succumb to the enemys numerical superiority and may not even get a chance to hit. They have flank protection on all three sides and can only be engaged at a relatively small arc of fire. The only downfall is the rather small range these tank destroyers are set to cover with the T34-85's main gun being a similar if not better weapon any misses can be somewhat disatreous for the JgPzIV's life expectancy. I contemplated putting them together to counter this situation, but thought against it as Russian air superiority may take them both out at the same time. I setup each platoon of Panzer Grenadiers in the first row of houses down from the tree line on either side of the town and set them to defend and engage only at close assault. As all of my force except the Panzershreck team was all set back into the town I waited a couple of turns before the enemy arrived. One of the houses in which I had a squad of Pz Grenadiers was bombed by the Soviet air force and left the building and despite my best efforts never recovered due to intense tank fire from in and arround the tree line. The squad became pinned, then routed and then was destroyed very quickly. On tthe other side of the map my panzershreck team got some good kills, but without any close support was soon overrun and destroyed where it fought. My tank destroyers again got some kills, but this time due to the vast superior numbers in tank strength the Soviet held and the fact that they all arrived basically unharmed in the unattended tree line they were quickly dispatched within the 3rd or 4th game turn. Once the tank destroyers were eliminated a number of Soviet tanks bypassed the town on my left flank and took the centre town victory objective from the rear. Soviet tank destroyers and BA Recon armoured cars took on my panzer grenadiers at close range and despite a large number of kills, I was being hammerd from both sides of the town from a number of T34-85's and SU-122 self propelled artillery guns from the relative safety of the tree line they had placed themselves into with out little or no resistance. Basically all of my panzer grenadiers became pinned or routed due to the large amount of HE fire coming from the tree line and despite popping some smoke there was little or nothing I could do to help them recover from a desperate situation. Soviet tanks were now streaming both in and around the town flanks and when I finally got more reinforcement of three Panzer IVJ tanks they were all quickly dispatched by flanking tank fire as the vast numerical superiority in and around the town was simply overwhelming any inferior forces the panther and brumbar also came to a similar fate. By turn 11 it was all over the Soviets had captured all the victory objectives and my arse was handed to me on a platter. Probably should of kept the panzer grenadiers in the tree lines creating more of a defence in depth. This is where it seems the battle is one or loss if you can stall majority of the Soviet forces in the tree line and create confusion, disruption with artillery and smoke you may have half a chance. Anyway lost the battle 19% to 81% decisive defeat. Will post third battle soon.

(in reply to Jugger)
Post #: 5
RE: Novyy Rizadey(spoiler dont read if you have not pla... - 5/8/2011 10:12:56 AM   
rickier65

I agree with your assessment about the importance of the tree line. Delaying the soviet tanks is essential to get a win.

Thanks! I hope you enjoyed it, despite the loss.

Rick

(in reply to Jugger)
Post #: 6
RE: Novyy Rizadey(spoiler dont read if you have not pla... - 5/8/2011 11:53:56 AM   
Jacko

And keep your AT teams close to the rest of your infantry to give them a chance against the tanks. The Jagdpanzer will take care of the rest. And make sure to keep those in cover or the Stormowiks will get them. 

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 7
RE: Novyy Rizadey(spoiler dont read if you have not pla... - 5/8/2011 5:35:33 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jugger72

2nd battle (set to normal). I believe I am now faced with a considrably larger Soviet force perhaps a understrengthed tank battalion with company sized tank destroyer and self propelled artillery support.

The Soviet force is larger.

quote:

I decided to change the set up areas of my Panzer Grenadier platoons, and left my heavy support weapons basically where the scenario author had put them. My two JgPzIv were once again setup similar to the first scenario in between the buildings. They only have narrow lanes of fire, but being a tank destroyer without a rotating turret this is not such a bad deployment as there main job is to get some intial good kills and to stall the Soviet advance.

If these tank destoyers were left in the open they would quickly succumb to the enemys numerical superiority and may not even get a chance to hit. They have flank protection on all three sides and can only be engaged at a relatively small arc of fire. The only downfall is the rather small range these tank destroyers are set to cover with the T34-85's main gun being a similar if not better weapon any misses can be somewhat disatreous for the JgPzIV's life expectancy.

I contemplated putting them together to counter this situation, but thought against it as Russian air superiority may take them both out at the same time.

I setup each platoon of Panzer Grenadiers in the first row of houses down from the tree line on either side of the town and set them to defend and engage only at close assault.

I usually don't let my units fire until I determine where the attack is coming from and in what strength.

quote:

As all of my force except the Panzershreck team was all set back into the town I waited a couple of turns before the enemy arrived.

Nice idea to put most of your force back and wait for the attack to develop.

quote:

One of the houses in which I had a squad of Pz Grenadiers was bombed by the Soviet air force and left the building and despite my best efforts never recovered due to intense tank fire from in and arround the tree line. The squad became pinned, then routed and then was destroyed very quickly.

If infantry is ever caught out in the open by tanks bad things start to happen to you.

quote:

On the other side of the map my panzershreck team got some good kills, but without any close support was soon overrun and destroyed where it fought. My tank destroyers again got some kills, but this time due to the vast superior numbers in tank strength the Soviet held and the fact that they all arrived basically unharmed in the unattended tree line they were quickly dispatched within the 3rd or 4th game turn. Once the tank destroyers were eliminated a number of Soviet tanks bypassed the town on my left flank and took the centre town victory objective from the rear.

Yes, the AI doesn't always just do a straight line attack to the flag method as in some games.

quote:

Soviet tank destroyers and BA Recon armoured cars took on my panzer grenadiers at close range and despite a large number of kills, I was being hammered from both sides of the town from a number of T34-85's and SU-122 self propelled artillery guns from the relative safety of the tree line they had placed themselves into with out little or no resistance. Basically all of my panzer grenadiers became pinned or routed due to the large amount of HE fire coming from the tree line and despite popping some smoke there was little or nothing I could do to help them recover from a desperate situation.

Soviet tanks were now streaming both in and around the town flanks and when I finally got more reinforcement of three Panzer IVJ tanks they were all quickly dispatched by flanking tank fire as the vast numerical superiority in and around the town was simply overwhelming any inferior forces the panther and brumbar also came to a similar fate.

By turn 11 it was all over the Soviets had captured all the victory objectives and my arse was handed to me on a platter. Probably should of kept the panzer grenadiers in the tree lines creating more of a defence in depth. This is where it seems the battle is one or loss if you can stall majority of the Soviet forces in the tree line and create confusion, disruption with artillery and smoke you may have half a chance. Anyway lost the battle 19% to 81% decisive defeat. Will post third battle soon.

This is not the tutorial scenario. The demo is a full blown, hit you between the eyes, battle. And it shows.

Great AAR. Glad the scenario played well for you. I look forward to the changes you made and the outcome of your 3rd try with this scenario.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Jugger)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Novyy Rizadey(spoiler dont read if you have not played this scenario) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI