Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/29/2011 3:01:50 PM   
Andrew Loveridge

Hello all,

There is a revised Public Beta now available. You can find it in the Members Club as a Registered Download. It includes Interface improvements and some Rules Changes, along with a number of Bug fixes. Below are listed the changes from the last patch, with a link to the previous changes.

This is a beta, so please lets us know of any issues you may find.

Best Regards,
Andrew

V1.04.14 – April 28, 2011

New Features and Rule Changes

1) New Interface – Added the ability to enter the amount of factories to be moved. You can now click on the number of factories being moved in the city display and a popup box will appear allowing the player to enter the desired number of factories to be moved.
    2) New Interface – The hex pop-up now shows factories that are not yet active.
    3) Formula Change – Limited morale gain for partisan units (related to national morale).
    4) Formula Change – Added code to make low experience combat elements expend more ammo when they fire.

Bug Fixes

1) Fixed a bug with vehicle production.
    2) Fixed a bug where factory sizes could get very large when the factory was relocated.
    3) Fixed a crash bug caused by an air base converting to Guard status.
    4) Fixed a bug where battle reports could show incorrect info when a unit surrendered.
    5) Fixed a bug which was merging empty duplicate squad slots.
    6) Fixed a typo (perecent).
    7) Fixed a bug that was sometimes preventing the AI from flying recon missions.
    8) Fixed a bug where pressing the On Train button to detrain a unit (when the unit detail screen is active) will prompt a message re merging the unit.
    9) Fixed HQ detail screen to show FBD/NKPS that are attached to the HQ.
    10) Fixed a bug causing the incorrect amount of planes to show on the battle report.
    11) Fixed a problem where the map could scroll diagonally instead of down if a unit on the eastern edge of the screen is selected.
    12) Fixed a bug where a reserve unit could show up with a CV of 999 when joining a combat.
    13) Fixed a bug where ground support aircraft of the non-active (defending) player were not including bombers in the combat.
    14) Made it possible to target factories at locations with no population.

1.04.10 Changes

Post #: 1
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/29/2011 3:18:39 PM   
Redmarkus5

Thanks Andrew.

Can you advise as to what, if anything, is in the pipeline that addresses winter effects and overall play balance?

Cheers.

(in reply to Andrew Loveridge)
Post #: 2
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/29/2011 3:22:18 PM   
Helpless

quote:

Can you advise as to what, if anything, is in the pipeline that addresses winter effects and overall play balance?

Most of of winter effect changes and balancing were introduced at the initial release of 1.04.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 3
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/29/2011 3:59:40 PM   
Redmarkus5

Ah, OK. Thanks. I got the impression that there was further balancing on the cards...

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 4
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/29/2011 6:52:30 PM   
Joel Billings

At the moment we are in bug fixing mode while awaiting feedback and analysis on the changes made to date. Although we're always discussing possible improvements, there's nothing that would hold me back from playing the latest 1.04 public beta version as we think it's an improvement over 1.03.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 5
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/29/2011 8:10:38 PM   
morvael

3) Formula Change – Limited morale gain for partisan units (related to national morale).
Would that mean end to tens of partisan units I have to hunt down every turn?

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 6
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/29/2011 9:34:32 PM   
Troy6677

Morvael:

Be sure to properly garrison the cities you capture with security/static units. That will cut down the number of partisans created significantly.

Mark

< Message edited by mvdh1 -- 4/29/2011 9:36:22 PM >

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 7
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/29/2011 9:57:58 PM   
morvael

All of them are in the blue (>100%) from the moment of capture, I heard in the previous beta there was too many partisans even with garrisons.

(in reply to Troy6677)
Post #: 8
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/29/2011 11:07:23 PM   
Redmarkus5

I played 3 turns of a GC vs. the AI. It's hard to be sure as I have learned a lot since buying the game, but my feeling was:

1. The Axis seemed to have a harder time eliminating pockets on turn 2 than in previous versions, which felt more authentic.

2. There were minimal cases of magically routing units, if any - great.

3. Up to turn 3 the AI hadn't yet placed a massive carpet in front of me, which I am sure it was doing by that stage in earlier releases. Happy about that!

4. The air unit cross attachment restrictions seem to have a clear effect and I like that fact that making a manual resupply or bombing attack in one sector doesn't deplete air forces in other sectors. Is that how it is now, or am I imagining that change?

I stopped playing when I read about the partisan issues. Will try again once that is fixed.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 9
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/30/2011 12:49:07 AM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

4. The air unit cross attachment restrictions seem to have a clear effect and I like that fact that making a manual resupply or bombing attack in one sector doesn't deplete air forces in other sectors. Is that how it is now, or am I imagining that change?

I stopped playing when I read about the partisan issues. Will try again once that is fixed.

Yes, the air unit restrictions will do what you are seeing. You aren't likely to get the massive airstrikes that you could in the past. The stage base is now more critical as the stage base determines what units can fly in the mission (notice no more flying through German army recon air bases to stage bombing missions).

As for the partisans, I think the jury is out. Pavel already made a change to bring down partisans. Part of what is getting reported may be due to 1.03 games where partisans were broken and suddenly start working with 1.04 in the middle of a game. It's possible that the number of attacks will need to be brought down in the future, but the big issue is with the key rail lines going into the Soviet Union in 1941. First, remember that there are no partisan attacks in the Baltic States area until Dec 1 41, so you need to focus on protecting the key lines outside of this area. Second, I'm not sure about this, but my tests indicate you can use regiments to protect 3 rail hexes (their zocs seem to protect against attacks) and HQ/airbases to protect the hex they are in. I need to get this confirmed by a programmer though. By staying on top of the partisan threat early on, it may not be as bad as what you see later on. There may be another change needed, but some more data is needed. AI tests have shown that the number of partisans getting created is not the issue, so if an additional change is needed, it will be the chance of a successful attack (or series of attacks).

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 10
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/30/2011 3:48:23 AM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

As for the partisans, I think the jury is out. Pavel already made a change to bring down partisans. Part of what is getting reported may be due to 1.03 games where partisans were broken and suddenly start working with 1.04 in the middle of a game. It's possible that the number of attacks will need to be brought down in the future, but the big issue is with the key rail lines going into the Soviet Union in 1941. First, remember that there are no partisan attacks in the Baltic States area until Dec 1 41, so you need to focus on protecting the key lines outside of this area. Second, I'm not sure about this, but my tests indicate you can use regiments to protect 3 rail hexes (their zocs seem to protect against attacks) and HQ/airbases to protect the hex they are in. I need to get this confirmed by a programmer though. By staying on top of the partisan threat early on, it may not be as bad as what you see later on. There may be another change needed, but some more data is needed. AI tests have shown that the number of partisans getting created is not the issue, so if an additional change is needed, it will be the chance of a successful attack (or series of attacks).

Joel:

To begin, all my observations are from a game started with 1.04.10 and then switched to 1.04.11 about turn four. From the limited amount of testing that I have done, there seem to be two parts to this. First, a partisan UNIT will not appear in the zone of control of a combat unit or in a hex occupied by any unit, but it will appear adjacent to a non-combat unit. However, the second part is that a rail BREAK created by that unit will appear in a hex occupied by a non-combat unit or adjacent to a combat unit. I have not observed a rail break appearing in a hex occupied by a combat unit, but that is inconclusive (it's hard to prove a negative).

Hope this helps. I have autosaves available.

Now an additional observation, in games started under 1.03 there were a lot of partisans but they were only a nuisance only. In all previous games, I only recall one case of an FDB unit that was unable to build due to upstream partisan activity. In this 1.04 game it has occured with one or more FDB units on virtually every turn since Dec41. Also note that I have always garrisoned to yellow or better from T3 on so there has been no significant garrison change from past games.

Post #: 11
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/30/2011 5:59:37 AM   
Joel Billings

Thanks for the additional info. Are you saying that you have played a 1.04 game past Dec 41, and in this game you're having lots of problems after Dec41? Did you not have a problem before Dec41? Too bad that the units aren't blocking the partisan attacks. I thought that would provide a way to minimize the issue with the key rail lines, but I guess no such luck.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 12
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/30/2011 8:09:06 AM   
Redmarkus5

Thanks Joel. As mine was a new game started with the latest beta I will play on a bit to report what happens on the Partisan front.

Post #: 13
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/30/2011 1:53:10 PM   
kevini1000

The Russian units seem more durable even on turn 1. I had a NKVD unit with a CV of 99 on turn 1. Now his modified value went to just 1 but these still seems strange.

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 14
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/30/2011 2:12:59 PM   
Lava

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Loveridge
7) Fixed a bug that was sometimes preventing the AI from flying recon missions.

AI is still not performing recon missions with my game. Strange...

Though since the AI knows where everything is, I'm not all that bothered by it.

(in reply to Andrew Loveridge)
Post #: 15
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/30/2011 3:26:35 PM   
pompack

Joel:

The game was started with 1.04 and is now in feb42

Spotchecking back through the saves, I find that on 11dec41 there was a major break ten hexes from the railhead on a mainline. The partisan unit appeared two hexes from a garrisoned city and the rail break was adjacent to a HQ. There were a total of four partisan units that turn.

Moving back in time, I find the following:

4dec41 5 units
27nov41 4 units – one mainline break
20nov41 9 units- one mainline break
13nov41 4 units
6nov41 2 units
30oct41 0
23oct41 1 unit
16oct41 1 unit
9oct41 3 units
2oct41 4 units
25sep41 2 units
18sep41 0
11sep41 1 unit
4sep41 2units

Now I can’t guarantee that each “unit” listed above is a NEW partisan since I am sure that there were times when I could not swat all of them in the turn they appeared. But I can say that usually they were all eliminated in the turn they appeared (mostly due to the sheer number of security units on rail lines by October).

< Message edited by pompack -- 4/30/2011 3:27:16 PM >

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 16
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/30/2011 5:00:16 PM   
Farfarer61

Since a mainline beak can effectively lose the game for an Axis player vs a human, there should be a way to prevent it if a sufficient number of resources are made available for the task. being able to Repair and Restore a line immediately in the turn would be good. Like re-opening a pocket, but with supply restored etc. Alternatively if the X percentage damage on the line reduced reduced the supply delivered to all units serviced by that line by that amount, then that might be more elegant, if it is codable. Finally, how about RHG units with intrinsic RR repair capability that are human contolled?

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 17
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/30/2011 5:43:51 PM   
kswanson1

It is dissapointing that there's nothing in the patch directed at toning down Partisans.  Is there something in the works?  Or will this remain status quo for the games depiction of partisan warfare?

< Message edited by kswanson1 -- 4/30/2011 5:44:50 PM >

(in reply to Farfarer61)
Post #: 18
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/30/2011 6:04:14 PM   
pompack

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kswanson1

It is dissapointing that there's nothing in the patch directed at toning down Partisans.  Is there something in the works?  Or will this remain status quo for the games depiction of partisan warfare?

Well, you have to note that there was something in the patch "directed at toning down Partisans"

I think you can depend on them to work this as best they can. It should be quite clear that the increased effectiveness of partisans in 1.04 was not an intent; quite the opposite in fact.

< Message edited by pompack -- 4/30/2011 6:06:49 PM >

(in reply to kswanson1)
Post #: 19
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/30/2011 6:12:40 PM   
Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: pompack

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kswanson1

Well, you have to note that there was something in the patch "directed at toning down Partisans"

I think you can depend on them to work this as best they can. It should be quite clear that the increased effectiveness of partisans in 1.04 was not an intent; quite the opposite in fact.

It's not actually clear what is meant by this change. 'Limited morale gain' gives no clue as to weather this is in the partisan's favour or to their detriment.

“The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.”
¯ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 20
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/30/2011 6:27:02 PM   
Helpless

quote:

It's not actually clear what is meant by this change. 'Limited morale gain' gives no clue as to weather this is in the partisan's favour or to their detriment.

It means that partisans will gain much less morale. Morale is the most important factor for the partisan unit since it is used to trigger attack. Morale gain may happen during supply drop and during successful attack. Since 1.04.11 there was no limit and morale could grow till 90. Now it is very much related to the national morale and shouldn't grow much over it. In some early games run with 1.04.11 there still could be a lot of high morale partisan units which are performing attacks. It takes time to get it down. Could be it still needs attention, but more fresh tests are required to make another fix.

Pavel Zagzin

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 21
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/30/2011 6:50:26 PM   
kswanson1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helpless

quote:

It means that partisans will gain much less morale. Morale is the most important factor for the partisan unit since it is used to trigger attack. Morale gain may happen during supply drop and during successful attack. Since 1.04.11 there was no limit and morale could grow till 90. Now it is very much related to the national morale and shouldn't grow much over it. In some early games run with 1.04.11 there still could be a lot of high morale partisan units which are performing attacks. It takes time to get it down. Could be it still needs attention, but more fresh tests are required to make another fix.

Thats encouraging news. Thanks for the explanation. Maybe I won't go back to playing my HPS games just yet. ;o)

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 22
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/30/2011 7:34:03 PM   
Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helpless

quote:

Is it known yet, how this pans out with the partisan supply, which now supposedly works? Possibly NKVD squads will now be dropped earlier, thus raising partisan morale.

“The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.”
¯ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 23
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/30/2011 8:25:47 PM   
Helpless

quote:

Is it known yet, how this pans out with the partisan supply, which now supposedly works? Possibly NKVD squads will now be dropped earlier, thus raising partisan morale.

That was the main reason for the very increased partisan activity. We keep testings to see if further activity reduction is required. And if yes how big it should be.

Pavel Zagzin

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 24
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 4/30/2011 9:28:08 PM   
sillyflower

To get away from partisans for a moment, it doesn't looks as if the fix for unused German 105mm AA guns has been included as I believe we were told to expect

Not a big issue though.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 25
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 5/2/2011 1:11:13 AM   
Captain B

Joel,

I have played a 1.04 game through March of 1942 now. Albeit on easy (made me think less). A couple of observations:
1. Partisans pop up everywhere now. I garrisoned every city to at least 100%. Throughout the winter I even garrisoned several of the towns on the main supply lines (populations 1 through 4)...but I still had several partisan units that "broke" the supply line. Some partisans affected 5 or more hexes all by themselves.
2. Axis casualties are way down. I did have almost all of my units in Level 3 forts, towns, or cities. Certainly all armor was. I would say down about 70% in December and 50 - 60 % or more.
3. Axis air power losses are down also. Say about 15%. This could be attributable to the Air Forces only supporting their own Army Group.
4. Interesting enough....in February, when snow reappeared in Western Europe and the Crimea....all of my forces (in the Crimea) went back to their full strength (ie, the blizzard affect went away). However, Blizzard still shows up in the 2nd week of December in the Crimea, though the rules say that should be snow. So, it looks like part of this is fixed.

Here is a screenshot from 1-15-1942. 4 partisan units. One damaged 4 rails. Even though the partisan is less than three hexes from the front lines and 4 hexes from Orel, which is fully garrisoned. There are also 4 other partisan units. Again, on easy. I spend 10 minutes hunting down and killing partisans each turn.

Thanks Joel.

Attachment (1)

There is no problem too big that can't be solved with the proper use of high explosives

WITE Scenario Tester
WITW Beta Tester

Post #: 26
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 5/2/2011 1:16:09 AM   
Captain B

Looks like a "Guard" Partisan Unit showed up!

Should this be happening?

Attachment (1)

There is no problem too big that can't be solved with the proper use of high explosives

WITE Scenario Tester
WITW Beta Tester

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 27
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 5/2/2011 1:26:34 AM   
Captain B

1 Partisan - 8 attacks! Some adjacent to HQ units, but none to combat units...even though I garrissoned one of the towns on this line as well.

Attachment (1)

WITE Scenario Tester
WITW Beta Tester

(in reply to Captain B)
Post #: 28
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 5/2/2011 1:49:17 AM   
Farfarer61

For goodness sake, just remove the partisans from the game with a hotfix until this is fixed, forget history, make it a playable game.

(in reply to Captain B)
Post #: 29
RE: Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! - 5/2/2011 2:13:09 AM   
Joel Billings

Pavel found a bug where too many partisans were getting created. We're testing the fix now (which also includes a formula adjustment reducing their chance to attack). We don't plan on removing partisans, but we don't want them to be the issue that they are now. If the fix checks out we'll get try to get it out in the next day or two.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Farfarer61)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Updated Public Beta v1.04.14 Available! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI