Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: for history buffs&grognards: WHY is airpower insufficient to win a war?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> RE: for history buffs&grognards: WHY is airpower insufficient to win a war? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: for history buffs&grognards: WHY is airpower insuff... - 4/26/2011 4:26:53 AM   
Richie61

Thanks! This is some sweet reading

To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 31
RE: for history buffs&grognards: WHY is airpower insuff... - 4/26/2011 4:13:36 PM   
morganbj

quote:

ORIGINAL: CheerfullyInsane

On a side-note, I love the pictures from Normandy showing German tanks sporting all kinds of improvised camouflage sticking out at absurd angles, while they're moving happily along a road........
Exactly who are they fooling here?

Spoken like someone with little or no military experience who wants to besmirch soldiers with several years of combat experience and who may have had good reason to camoflauge their equipment that that manner.

ANY reduction in the probability that you will be noticed increases the probability that you will see another day. While it looks silly when the picture is taken by a camerman 30 meters away, it is much less obvious to a plane flying at 200 mph and several miles away whi has to detect the vehicle amoung other vergitation. Does it guarentee non-detection? No, but it may reduce the chance some. It can also be utterly confusing to the antitank gun who has to precisely aim at a vehicle that is near other bushes, hedges, trees, etc. A 2 second delay while the AT gunner makes sure he's on the correct target can mean the difference between a hit, or a miss. What if I told you to climb in a tank and drive down a road. If you camoflauge your vehicle you've got a 80% chance of making it. If not, you have a 60% chance. Are you going to say that it looks stupid and not do it?

Now, if it is camoflauge that is out of place, then yes, it might be silly, but then again, it might not be. I've seen forest green camoflauge nets used in the desert to conceal sand colored vehicles. The logic was that while the net would aid in aircraft detection of the vehicle it might otherwise not see, it might cause a person with a hand-held AT weapon to misjudge where the target was behind the net, so as to cause a miss or perhaps a "bad" hit in a non-critical location. If your side had complete air superiority, and the other side had great potential to sneak in AT killer teams on the ground, especially at night, what would you do? I'd put up the net.

Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.

(in reply to CheerfullyInsane)
Post #: 32
RE: for history buffs&grognards: WHY is airpower insuff... - 4/27/2011 12:55:27 AM   
jinchoung

whoa whoa...

he was just kidding!

jin

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 33
RE: for history buffs&grognards: WHY is airpower insuff... - 4/27/2011 3:15:31 AM   
Mad Russian

bjmorgan, I took his comment to be that they look out of place on the road but were intended for just the purpose you stated, to keep them alive in the field. I think he's got it right, as do you.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to jinchoung)
Post #: 34
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> RE: for history buffs&grognards: WHY is airpower insufficient to win a war? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI