From: The Big Nowhere
I present to you the Shark7 theory on galactic relations. Subtitle: How to make friends and get them to squash bugs for you.
All joking aside, here are some very specific changes I'd like to see to diplomacy.
1. Making enemies: Yep, there should be a set of options for purposely irritating other empires via the diplomacy screens.
- Insult: self explanitory
- Ignore/Cold Shoulder: An option to simply ignore an incoming diplomatic message. For every message you should have an Accept/Acknowledge, Ignore, and Reject/Dismiss option. Ignore has a smaller negative effect than outright rejection, but it does negatively affect relations.
- Demand: already in, though you should be able to demand anything
- Threaten: already in, but you should also be able to send a general threat... "We will wipe your pathetic infantile race off the galactic map!"
- Cancel existing Treaties: One or more or all.
2. Making friends:
- Gift/Bribe: As current.
- Trade agreement: A limited trade agreement that allows the trade of civilian goods, but the cash bonus from it is not as great as the current free trade agreement. this is a pre-requisite for a Free Trade Agreement.
- Free Trade Agreement: As current.
- Basing Agreement: An empire cannot refuel military ships from your stations without one of these and vice versa. Also allows repairs at star ports.
- Open Borders Trade Agreement: Same effects as Free Trade Agreement, but also allows empires with this agreement to build civilian stations in each others 'territory'. Meaning if Empire A owns the Paradise system, and has an OBTA with Empire B, then Empire B can build a mining station, gas mining station or resort base in the Paradise system without any negative effects on relations.
- Non Agression Pact: Two empires agree to not attack each other for any reason for a set period of time. This treaty has an expiration (I suggest 10 game years) and prevents the two empires from attacking, spying or declaring war on each other for that time period.
- Research trade agreement: This treaty gives a small bonus to both empires in research when activated. Very High relations (90+) should be required.
- Intelligence Trade Agreement: allows you to see an empires exploration and enemy assessments in real-time and vice versa. 90+ relations required.
- Mutual Defense Pact: This does not give you real-time intelligence...it only shows planets the empires own. This also prevents attacks or DoW between the two participants. If my empire or my MDP partner are attacked or has a DoW against us, the MDP issues an automatic DoW against the agressor (so long as you don't have a MDP with the agressor...at which point you must first cancel the MDP and can then manually DoW). Requires 75+ relations.
- Alliance: Two empires have entered into a share everything, defend each other at all costs because we love each other and each thinks the other is the best thing since sliced bread treaty. Alliance gives the benefit of all of the above agreements. Also the hardest to get and requires 100+ relations.
- Trading technology: this needs a revamp that makes it harder to accomplish, and actually require very good relations for an AI empire to even consider it (60+) relations. Why would I sell you something when there is a good chance you turn around and use it against me a couple of days later?
- Planet/Colony gifting and trade: Mostly for the player to use...the ability to give a liked empire a planet or colony without any strings attached or for a trade. This is very similar to what it is currently, but it needs a revamp so that the AI will only consider it if the relations are extremely high.
3. Subterfuge/Deception: The art of making two AI empires fight each other.
- Ruin reputation: Tell Empire A something false and evil about Empire B.
- Lie about another empire: Tell Empire A that Empire B is planning to attack them soon.
- Inform: Tell Empire A that Empire B is spying on them.
- Hire a Pirate: Works as present, however tell the pirate empire that they should say Empire B was the one who hired them.
Distant Worlds Fan
'When in doubt...attack!'