Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Early game- Hyperspeed boost by ~50%

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Early game- Hyperspeed boost by ~50% Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Early game- Hyperspeed boost by ~50% - 4/3/2011 12:14:38 AM   
Omniblivion

(Sorry for the "double" post- was going to put this in Tips/Tricks/Etc but has proven extremely useful as I was testing it)

Early game: Easy way to increase hyper speed by 50%- add an extra reactor! Adding an extra reactor to most ship designs in the very beginning of the game can give you a huge advantage; this will give your ships enough power to fully utilize the starting (and upgraded) hyperdrives. Your ships will be spending tons of time warping, might as well increase their effectiveness by (at least) 50%! Obviously, you may not want to add this to every ship; I definitely do this with private sector ships (goods/people moving faster at "no cost" to me? Yes please!)

I have found this to be extremely useful with colony ships; simply add an extra reactor to enable your colony ships to have DOUBLE the hyper speed compared to the basic model. (nearly double. :-P)

Base CLN-1:
Cost: 6140
Maintenence: 2033
Size: 482
Hyperspeed: 6410
Cruise: 8

"Upgraded" CLN-1:
Cost: 6313 (+173)
Maintenance Cost: 2102 (+69)
Size: 504 (+22)
Hyperspeed: 12500
Cruise: 7 (-1)

This difference becomes even more significant once you do the very first upgrade to your hyperdrives. Other than the very minimal cost increase, the only downfall is the -1 cruise speed. True, this will slow your ship down out of hyper, but the difference is more than made up by the faster hyper speed.

Try it out and let me know what you think!

Post #: 1
RE: Early game- Hyperspeed boost by ~50% - 4/3/2011 8:32:29 AM   
Data

Yap, this was also one of our first discoveries....since the vanilla I put an extra reactor on every ship. Having max hyperspeed freighters and miners really counts. Not to mention explorers or military.
This is actually a game flaw (not sure if intended or not) as every starting ship is underpowered. It's always been like this, even if it was intended to slow us down we can easily redesign everything (I keep them exported and import them in each new game) so we're just wasting some time.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Omniblivion)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Early game- Hyperspeed boost by ~50% Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI