Thinking about Buying Addon

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

stewartbragg

Thinking about Buying Addon

Post by stewartbragg »

Is the addon worth it? Love the original and play it often.
HOI3 & AACW2 Beta Tester
Data

RE: Thinking about Buying Addon

Post by Data »

If you love the original you just cannot not love the expansion, rots is turbo dw
definitly worth it....and you're also asking the wrong crowd [:)]
welcome stewart
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

Totally worth it, I would suggest buying it to coincide with the next patch or beta patch though as there is a fairly major bug with the current version.  Next beta patch I think is ETA for Friday/Saturday/Sunday.
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Igard

Post by Igard »

I have no doubt that you will be very happy with the expansion, Stewart. Not only does it improve the game and UI, you can also enjoy all the latest mods.

Listen to WoodMan, though, don't install the latest beta patch. The next one should be along very soon.
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

And if three recommendations weren't enough, here comes the fourth one. RotS upgrades DW significantly. And as others said: Wait for the weekend.
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
Mofouler

Post by Mofouler »

I'm fairly new and it is definitely worth the xtra money. Buy it and you won't be unhappy with it at all.
You lost the game
stewartbragg

Post by stewartbragg »

Thanks guys. been looking at since it was released but could not decide...plus I was playing a lot of Gary's War in the East[8|]
HOI3 & AACW2 Beta Tester
mg62

Post by mg62 »

This is nudging me closer to getting the expansion as well.  I have enjoyed DW and would like to see the improvements in the UI.  I spend my time with WitP-AE and this game.
Data

Post by Data »

hmm, so WitP-AE...and DW; let's see if after the expansion this order will change [:)]
after shark you'll be the second witp player I know to switch sides [:D]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Definitely worth it. I now log more hours playing ROTS than any other game.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Howard Mitchell

Post by Howard Mitchell »

Well worth the money.
While the battles the British fight may differ in the widest possible ways, they invariably have two common characteristics – they are always fought uphill and always at the junction of two or more map sheets.

General Sir William Slim
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Two words.......... BUY IT!

[:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Grave

Post by Grave »

Is the addon worth it?
Definitely yes!
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: stewart.bragg

Is the addon worth it? Love the original and play it often.

If you enjoyed DW vanilla, you'll find RotS to be well worth the (rather small) price. The improvements to the UI and the depth added from the mechanics changes (missiles, fighters, tech tree, etc) to be quite dramatically increase the replayability of the game.

As a caveat, however - grab the latest patch as well as the one previous to it. Depending on your playing style, you may find that the latest patch creates more (or more significant) bugs than it fixes. I had this with 1.502, which was problematic for me. I found that 1.501 was more playable, till 1.504 became available.

And finally, remember that it's a 4X game - winning isn't the entire goal. It's HOW you win that's equally important. If you find things too easy - try another race, try different tactics. Found it too easy with the war-mongering Boskara and their torpedoes-from-hell? Play as the Teekan or Securan, and you'll find your Boskara derived tactics... well, I don't want to spoil the surprise for you.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

Play as the Teekan

Amen to that!
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

Tuffbit & Boys Inc. approves!
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: WoodMan
Play as the Teekan

Amen to that!

I tried it - playing as Teekan with a Boskara mindset. Painful. Terribly painful. My invasion fleets had to be beefed up a "tad".
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Merker

Post by Merker »

Question: I keep reading on the forums about the huge fuel problem the add-on has. I'm thinking of buying ROTS, but I have a question: is the issue game breaking? Right now, the only problem I have with DW vanilla is that the AI only ever has one freakin' fleet, but that's not a really big issue it seems as it can hold its own in a war.

So, any insight on this?
Image[/img]
Data

Post by Data »

It's not game breaking, there are ways to go around it or never encounter it (altough that's rare)
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

I've never encountered it to be honest.  The same complaints were coming out during the original DW too.  My demand for all goods, as in every single game I play, is 0. [:D]

On the settings I use though you are severely limited by the galaxy and game settings so my Empires aren't as big as some other peoples. The other issue is people who play on waaaay past their time of victory and end up with Empires bigger than the game was designed for, that suffer fuel shortages.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”