Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Forts in towns, cities.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Forts in towns, cities. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Forts in towns, cities. - 2/28/2011 9:48:36 AM   
Josh

Hi all, got a question about forts in towns and cities. Haven't found the answer yet, so here goes.

During the blizzard towns and cities protect the unit somewhat from the effects of the blizzard, depending on the size of the town, city. A town protects one unit, a city two, and urban up to three ( I think, and there are even more restrictions, but you get the idea).
So I had this idea of putting fortifications in those towns, can't really tell though if this works or not. Is it wasted AP? Does the fortification count as *one unit* so that when I put another unit in this town they can't be protected both from the blizzard? As in two units in a town can't be protected both at the same time?
/clueless.
Post #: 1
RE: Forts in towns, cities. - 2/28/2011 10:02:23 AM   
color

For the russians I would suspect it is a waste, since forts are so expensive.

But you are probably talking about the germans here since the blizzard is involved. :)
My experience with Germans fortifications is they are no good for participating in combat, but does provide some limited dig-in capability. On the defence they are only casualties due to their low experience. I especially question creating fortifications during blizzard as they usually become unready. In their unready state they don't seem to contribute anything to fort level in the hex. As unready they seem mostly a waste of manpower draining your pool due heavy attrition losses given their low morale & experience.

Yes, they do count as a unit, so are ok to put in town & city as the surplus unit that does not get the benefit of the. In urban hexes I would much rather put another good unit there for blizzard immunity :)

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 2
RE: Forts in towns, cities. - 2/28/2011 3:23:05 PM   
Josh

Yes it's from the German side. See, as the blizzard hits you'll have to retreat anyway. So I was thinking, maybe instead of a linebacker defence (which will not hold after a while), slowly fall back onto towns and cities that already have a fort in it. Some parts of the front get so badly torn up that huge holes appear, and there's no way you can create a line because there's nothing left really. So a few strongpoints, that's the towns and cities with more than zero population, is all you can do. They'll hold another turn or two. Adding the forts in the towns/ cities might be a good idea, I dunno. Definitely not in the urban centres that's for sure, there my shiny Panzers I get their well deserved rest... before I send them out again to take out those pesky T-34's...

(in reply to color)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Forts in towns, cities. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI