Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Multiplayer problem

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Multiplayer problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Multiplayer problem - 2/21/2011 10:20:35 PM   
Reconvet

For the second time this turn in my current multiplayer game I have to redo a large portion of my moves because the game did not save correctly. Do some of you guys have similar experiences?

I am cautious not to do anything else on my Win7 machine while the server save is running, zero internet traffic happens during my saves (no e-mail checks, no browser open), and YES I do use the save button when my gaming time runs out. So my bet is that this has to be a serverside problem. Do I have to sacrifice a rabbit or something to positively influence the saving procedure to prevent having to invest hours of game time for moving the same units again and again?

I consider it a major problem that we can't make a local copy of multiplayer turns. Each and every tiny data package travelling around the planet has a chance to get lost... If you want to prevent cheating you could have the machine send a single code (number of units moved for example, save file size and time stamp) to the server after each save, with feedback if this code was received properly or has to be sent again... The whole save file should only have to be sent when finishing your multiplayer move, so you could prevent hassling upload times and even more hassling saving mishaps.

I had to vent this, sorry. Axis breaking through this turn on all fronts, requiring me to move large front sections and all reserve units (investing several game hours and using up almost all of the generous soviet rail pool), and when I log in again to finish the turn I have to see that 80% of my moves are lost. My faith in current multiplayer technology of WitE is severely shaken...

The biggest threat for mankind is ignorance.

Post #: 1
RE: Multiplayer problem - 2/22/2011 12:07:32 AM   
JAMiAM

There was a time 2 or 3 weeks ago, that I had a problem with uploading the save file. The problem lasted for about an hour before the server would acknowledge the save had completed. Very frustrating.

(in reply to Reconvet)
Post #: 2
RE: Multiplayer problem - 2/22/2011 10:21:50 AM   
Reconvet

I'll try to minimize potential losses by saving every 15 minutes now, even if saving and opening the game again sucks away a few minutes too.

But this will be my last multiplayer game until I read something about improved server reliability or a change of the file handling procedures in a patch note. What happens during and after an upload is a big mistery, zero transparency there, no system feedback and data securing measures at all, and reliability of this game server system is just not guaranteed right now.

So please give us the option to save locally in multiplayer games and force us to upload the game file only when pushing the finish turn button. This way if we have to send the file again because of server problems we don't have to redo hours worth of moves time and again.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 3
RE: Multiplayer problem - 2/22/2011 12:32:37 PM   
von altair

Its only good thing that it is not possible to load/save multiplayer turns like that. There are
too many loosers who like to perfect his/her turns so, that even losses turns out to winning fight.

I would say NO to multiplayer saves until the end turn has been pushed.

"An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?"

"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?"

-Axel Oxenstierna

(in reply to Reconvet)
Post #: 4
RE: Multiplayer problem - 2/22/2011 4:02:27 PM   
Reconvet

quote:

ORIGINAL: von altair

Its only good thing that it is not possible to load/save multiplayer turns like that. There are
too many loosers who like to perfect his/her turns so, that even losses turns out to winning fight.

As mentionned in my post 1:

quote:

Original: myself

If you want to prevent cheating you could have the machine send a single code (number of units moved for example, save file size and time stamp) to the server after each save ...

Does not have to be this mechanism, there could be other solutions. But there has to be implemented a way to prevent massive move losses.

I wanted to start in multiplayer mode too to prevent "turn optimizations", but server reliability is way too low right now. My game is in turn 7, I lost moves twice before and now twice in turn 7. My opponent just e-mailed me he had the same problem several times in our game and had to redo "numerous turns".

So don't give me a simple no to local multiplayer game saves, there IS a problem with game saves that has to be adressed...

(in reply to von altair)
Post #: 5
RE: Multiplayer problem - 2/22/2011 4:34:45 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: von altair

This is unworkable in a game that takes a few hours to play a turn. The server-based model allows a player to save, and then resume from that point where he saved. It doesn't allow for multiple playthroughs from a saved file. Not without a record of cheating that is.

(in reply to von altair)
Post #: 6
RE: Multiplayer problem - 2/22/2011 5:21:50 PM   
Skanvak

hmm, I still think that the server side of multiplayer should be mandatory as a crash can be created the system does allow for redoing turn anyway. We should need a server based game where the server save your move everytime you do them so that crash does not mean to have to redo turn.

Best regards

Skanvak

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Multiplayer problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI