Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why I love this game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Why I love this game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why I love this game - 2/20/2011 4:11:55 AM   
sbaxter1

Okay, so I have lost one game, am losing another and the third is questionable, but I still enjoy this game because...

GOA and the principles of war

From Clausewitz, there are nine principles of war and playing GOA without adhering to those principles is likely to result in failure:

Objective – Set your sights on some achievable objective and allocate your forces to do that. It could be (for TE) to capture German food hexes in and near East Prussia or, for the CP, to destroy French or Russian industrial production.

Offensive – Seize and retain the initiative. Although offensives are expensive, you cannot win by staying on the defensive.

Mass – Overwhelm the enemy. ‘Nough said.

Maneuver – Maneuvering can be difficult in GOA, given the slow, one hex movement. Strategic movement is faster, but can be stopped by attacks on the destination hex. Still, you can move your forces around, rather than through, the opposing force and gain an advantage, particularly if the move cuts the opponent off from supply. Against AI, I have managed a double envelopment. I could have done that against my human opponents, if they were not as bright as they are.

Surprise – Attack the enemy where he is weak and when he does not expect an attack. I surprised an opponent with amphibious attacks on unguarded ports. He did the same to me. The next game, I took care to guard the ports. I assume he did the same.

Security – See “Surprise.” Do not let the enemy do that to you.

Economy of force – Guard your self with only the minimum forces needed. Cavalry can fill this role, but if you have a valuable place that can be attacked, then infantry will be needed.

Simplicity – Plans are ruined by the first shots in battle. The more you depend upon units moving to replace units that follow those attacking the enemy, the more you added to the complexity of the plan and the likelihood of something going wrong (like an enemy attack on the third unit, freezing it in place and leaving one and two isolated, out of supply and likely to go away).

Unity of command – It is a given, with one player on each side, that there will be unity of command for everything. A multiplayer game would change that, particularly if the different players were rewarded based upon national objectives (i.e., the British were more interested in keeping the BEF intact than fighting the Germans in the first couple of months of the war and the French could do nothing about it).

As a note to the comment about unity of command, a multi-player game is possible even without revisions. Say three players take the TE side (French, British and Russian&Serb -- keep the Slavs together) vs two CP players (Germany, Austria + Turkey + Bulgaria). Each individual player orchestrates his/her forces and economy with some regard for the objective of winning the war.
Post #: 1
RE: Why I love this game - 2/21/2011 8:04:54 AM   
Alan Sharif

Excellent post :)

A Sharif

(in reply to sbaxter1)
Post #: 2
RE: Why I love this game - 2/21/2011 8:11:33 AM   
Matto

It is really great game, each one half of year I'm returning to it and playing again ... AI is really competent and PBEM game is great.

Excuse my English ... I hope is better then Your Czech ... :o)
My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, all SC, FoG2/E, most AGEOD games ...

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 3
RE: Why I love this game - 2/21/2011 7:02:54 PM   
SMK-at-work

For me it just captures the "essence" if WW1 - huge offensives that have to be planned and cost massive casualties for a hex or 2.  Forays into side shows where supply is low and you can get massive losses just from your corps shrinking away.  The cost of offensives, the gas, tanks & shock troops not so much but a little, the effectiveness of the U-boat war if it works, raiders, the Grand Fleet & High Seas fleet in the Nth Sea - it all just "works".

Now if we could persuade him to fix a couple of bugs & improve the interface.....:)

(in reply to Matto)
Post #: 4
RE: Why I love this game - 5/26/2011 7:20:16 PM   
Templer_12

I love this game because it is intellectually challenging, and above all because the time during the AI turns do not take in, as in so many games, for ever.

It may take a few turns of Guns of August 1914-1918 comfortable even play times in between!
For example, during the coffee break, or while waiting until your woman leaves the bathroom or, or, or.

A little more support (ERIK!!! ) would be desirable and perhaps a small price cut.

Who still need/search a challenging and fast-paced game with short waiting times should buying.

< Message edited by Templer -- 5/26/2011 8:11:38 PM >

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 5
RE: Why I love this game - 5/28/2011 4:44:24 AM   
SMK-at-work

How often do you think Matrix staff read this forum??

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 6
RE: Why I love this game - 6/23/2011 5:28:50 AM   
AnnieBerries

Hi...

I played this game six months back and i liked this game. Now i am thinking to start this game again.

Thanks!!!

girls free games | play dress up games online for free

Post #: 7
RE: Why I love this game - 6/26/2011 11:47:30 PM   
Templer_12

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

How often do you think Matrix staff read this forum??

I think far too rare!
I feel let down here by matrix.

Post #: 8
RE: Why I love this game - 6/29/2011 8:12:02 AM   
SMK-at-work

Yes it is very disappointing that it is only an old beta that was never finished -  it's really obvious that hte game would be brilliant if it was finished

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Why I love this game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI