Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fuel Musings...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Fuel Musings... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fuel Musings... - 2/18/2011 11:28:08 AM   
Bingeling

So, fuel is a precious commodity, especially if you fight far away from your "home" where there may be many gas mines.

I notice in the game that used to be the Swarm AAR that after going a bit further and making peace, Caslon got the following stats:

Price: 0,8
My stock: 336,1k
My demand: 11,8k
Galaxy stock: 1037,8k
Galaxy demand: 67,8k

This is by far the most demanded galactic commodity. Shouldn't prices rise? Especially as a part of the fuel problem is having enough of it in the right place.

I also notice the flip side of mercilessly hunting the gas mining bases and resupply ships of your opponents. When you make peace, their freighters comes and makes your mines run out of reserves... The mines that also took a hit during the war.

It really pays to have some resupply ships on good caslon sources, even if quite near or at home. Civilian ships won't refuel there, and they will not pick up goods either. And they can be deployed in addition to another base.

A star base will sell its goods, even if no commercial center, btw. So no way to keep the fuel on those for yourself.

Post #: 1
RE: Fuel Musings... - 2/18/2011 11:56:16 AM   
Data

it is in high demand but the stocks are also huge and that determines the low price
the same applies to all basic goods

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 2
RE: Fuel Musings... - 2/18/2011 12:15:23 PM   
Bingeling

As far as I know demand is the requested unfilled requests from stations. That is what they miss to fill reserved. And a warship is at least 200 fuel, and a fleet of 20 (not uncommon in that game) gobble 4000 in one go.

Galactic stock is less than 20 times galactic demand. It doesn't look that safe to me. I should do wild with fuel busting in a game to see what happens. It is maybe most easy if you rig a two part game on a small map and edit a bit.

The feeling you get when you build a couple of gas mines to help yourself only to have your former enemies reserve most of the production is... priceless. Resupply ships are your friends. Maybe the AI is on to something with its aggressive resupply ship proportions.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 3
RE: Fuel Musings... - 2/18/2011 1:06:51 PM   
Data

I think you are correct, in this case the price is off indeed and should be way up for such a demand

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 4
RE: Fuel Musings... - 2/18/2011 2:11:48 PM   
Bingeling

For going overboard one could consider more local prices. But I guess messing too much with such things will make new problems. Like for instance excessive hunting of mines through wars could pay off too well, if balance is not right.

In this game, I assume the caslon shortage was somewhat local. I lacked fuel sources in the war struck cluster. I killed every gas mine I could see (and other mines too...) of the two empires I had war with up there (out of 3 possible). They also killed some of my closest gas mines. I saw their fleet go to resupply ships at least 3-4 sectors away to find fuel even before I killed their gas mines...

And when war ends, I sell them caslon for 0.8. Right, we should learn to make a profit.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Fuel Musings... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI