Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Newb Pilot replacement question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Newb Pilot replacement question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newb Pilot replacement question - 2/3/2011 3:17:19 PM   
BossGnome

Hi,

So, as I mentioned previously, I haven't played this game for around 2 and a half years, and when I stopped playing, it was with the original WITP. So, going through some test runs to familiarize myself with the new layout, one of the biggest changes I noticed were to the pilot pool. Request veteran? Choose pilot pool to draw from? What exactly are the different effects of these? I gathered that choose veteran transfers a pilot from one of your other units to this one, but what about the different pilot pools? I looked in the manual and it was unfortunately silent on the matter, except to tell me that in some cases a pilot with exp. above 80 could be eligible for transfer into training command?? OK, so what does that do? So for example, as allies in december 1941 I can draw pilots from either Replacements, Reserve, or TRACOM... please explain!

"Hard pressed on my right; my left is in retreat. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
-Gen. Joffre, before the battle of the Marne
Post #: 1
RE: Newb Pilot replacement question - 2/3/2011 4:01:36 PM   
Sredni

Replacement pilots are pilots taken strait out of the pools. They'll be low experience and low skill and need training. Reserve is a group of pilots that you've placed there. It should be used as storage for trained pilots from which to draw pilots for existing groups. Whenever you remove pilots from an airgroup they get sent to the reserve. And TRACOM is a reserve pool for pilots over 81 experience. Placing pilots into TRACOM is supposed to speed up the training schedule of replacement pilots (each month you get a quota of new pilots in your replacement pools), but really we have such a huge flood of endless replacement pilots that TRACOM is pretty much worthless. Some players use it as another reserve pool to place elite pilots.

Personally I'm not really sure how the automatic pilot selection works, I've always manually selected pilots when I'm filling squadrons excepting training squadrons I fill with new pilots. I suspect a lot of players do the same. I havn't even toyed with the system.

(in reply to BossGnome)
Post #: 2
RE: Newb Pilot replacement question - 2/3/2011 8:21:20 PM   
morganbj

The trick is to train your pilots in in-map units and then move them into the pools when their skills are as high as you wish. For me that's usually about 65 - 70, or so. I then fill up the units with new pilots and repeat. For some pilots, you can assign them actual missions on, say, the West Coast to also up their experience level once they reach a good skill level. Fighter units can up their experience with CAP, and abviously ASW and search missions will work for those type units. After about 18 months, you've got trained pilots out the wazoo in your reserve pools, unless you've had too many encounters with the KB. I don't see the advantage of moving pilots into TRACOM, but there's probably some disagreement about that.

Some people don't like the system, but I think it's fine. It's better than asking "How come all my newly arrived squadrons have rookie pilots?"

I, like the previous poster, have never used the automatic pilot system. I just make sure that they are overstrength with trained pilots and then revisit them when there's been a lot of air combat in the area. I also manually refill the squadrons with planes until I have nice replacement pool numbers. I like to make sure that I fill the units in the most critical areas.

Once you get used to AE, you won't go back.

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 3
RE: Newb Pilot replacement question - 2/3/2011 11:26:49 PM   
Jones944

One of the patches also introduced a new PDF that was supposed to explain all the pilot pools and training and such. Look for it in your game installation directory.

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 4
RE: Newb Pilot replacement question - 2/4/2011 3:42:51 AM   
DeriKuk

Q: What do you do with all of those USN Float Plane groups?

A: You call them "Training Squadrons", and then you assign them to manufacture the skilled pilots that will fill the decks on carriers.

(in reply to Jones944)
Post #: 5
RE: Newb Pilot replacement question - 2/4/2011 12:19:29 PM   
mg62

A follow up noob question.  Is there a delay when selecting pilots out of the reserve?  Also is there a delay when putting pilots into reserve? 

(in reply to DeriKuk)
Post #: 6
RE: Newb Pilot replacement question - 2/4/2011 3:23:40 PM   
ckammp

quote:

ORIGINAL: mg62

A follow up noob question.  Is there a delay when selecting pilots out of the reserve?  Also is there a delay when putting pilots into reserve? 

There is a random, up-to-15-day delay when transferring pilots into or out of General Reserve and TRACOM, and when transferring to another unit.

(in reply to mg62)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Newb Pilot replacement question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI