Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What dose 'independant life' slider actually increase/decrease?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> What dose 'independant life' slider actually increase/decrease? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What dose 'independant life' slider actually increase/d... - 1/28/2011 12:15:51 AM   
Larsenex

Just wondering. I see that "Planet quality' relates to how many habitable planets there are. I will scale this waaaaaay back. and we get to 'fight' it out for new colonies. What does the independant life mean and how is it used in DW?

Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 8700K Oc'd to 4.8ghz
32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.
Post #: 1
RE: What dose 'independant life' slider actually increa... - 1/28/2011 12:33:09 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larsenex

Just wondering. I see that "Planet quality' relates to how many habitable planets there are. I will scale this waaaaaay back. and we get to 'fight' it out for new colonies. What does the independant life mean and how is it used in DW?

Independent life slider controls the number of independent colonies and how well developed they are. At rare, they are far between and low population ~100m each. At Plentiful, the independent colonies are all over the place, and can go full empire easily.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Larsenex)
Post #: 2
RE: What dose 'independant life' slider actually increa... - 1/28/2011 9:15:21 AM   
Data

yap, i can confirm this, i usually set this to teeming....i like to have a vibrantly alive galaxy, nice feature

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 3
RE: What dose 'independant life' slider actually increa... - 1/28/2011 3:14:14 PM   
Gargoil

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

yap, i can confirm this, i usually set this to teeming....i like to have a vibrantly alive galaxy, nice feature

Ah ha! You, my friend, are a genius!

I have been playing DW for a long time now, and loving it. But I have ranted on these forums that colonies are so unimportant as compared to the homeworld of all the empires. Your post hit me like a ton of bricks. Of course, jack the independent slider way up, and you create a "Star Trek" like galaxy, teaming with civilizations to have join or fight your empire. There will be a huge assortment of worlds at differing levels of development and population.

BRILLIANT!

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 4
RE: What dose 'independant life' slider actually increa... - 1/28/2011 3:43:56 PM   
Data

mind you, they do not behave like non-independent empires in terms of expansion and many other aspects but they are still more than simple colonies
all the credit goes to Elliot but nice to see I've put more fuel on your DW fire

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Gargoil)
Post #: 5
RE: What dose 'independant life' slider actually increa... - 1/28/2011 3:52:31 PM   
Gargoil

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

mind you, they do not behave like non-independent empires in terms of expansion and many other aspects but they are still more than simple colonies
all the credit goes to Elliot but nice to see I've put more fuel on your DW fire

Some will become full fledged empires. And some will join other empires by allowing themselves to be colonized. Still others will be hostile and need to be invaded. That added to all the other empires created at the start of the game.

I have to try this yet, what has been your experience? Does your game have many more worlds with significant population in your and AI empires? Have you had trouble finding enough other worlds to colonize?

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 6
RE: What dose 'independant life' slider actually increa... - 1/28/2011 3:56:10 PM   
Data

[/quote]
Does your game have many more worlds with significant population in your and AI empires? Have you had trouble finding enough other worlds to colonize?
[/quote]

Yes to the first one and no to the second one....but i use very aggresive exploring right of the bat, all my money goes initially into cheap explorers and colony ships....i even delay constructors and researching for this

(in reply to Gargoil)
Post #: 7
RE: What dose 'independant life' slider actually increa... - 1/28/2011 4:00:50 PM   
Data

and Gargoil, you are correct about this part also "some will join other empires by allowing themselves to be colonized"
not sure if my observations are correct but many of the independent worlds seem to belong to races that are on that map so they join easily...not sure how good they are as opponents, i don't think they were designed for war
they certainly do not seem to care about advancing their own technology

but again, this is my experience...i haven't paid close attention to them, just used them exactly as you've said; as a great federation of races

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 8
RE: What dose 'independant life' slider actually increa... - 1/28/2011 4:22:13 PM   
feygan

Do they at least build troops and general warships for defence? So far I haven't tried the slider that far up for fear it would just offer up a bunch of easily conquered/colonized high pop planets that would do nothing other than give both player and AI freebies planets.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 9
RE: What dose 'independant life' slider actually increa... - 1/28/2011 5:36:11 PM   
Shark7

Depending on the race...

A race I added to the game and placed as an independent with 5 billion population not only built troops, it defeated my invasion using a fleet with 19 troops in it. So yes, they will defend.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 10
RE: What dose 'independant life' slider actually increa... - 1/28/2011 6:49:15 PM   
Abraxis

quote:

ORIGINAL: feygan
So far I haven't tried the slider that far up for fear it would just offer up a bunch of easily conquered/colonized high pop planets that would do nothing other than give both player and AI freebies planets.

This was my fear as well, it also seemed like it would turn the galaxy into one giant melting pot very quickly as races wouldn't have to adhere to their specific planet types early game, and they would quickly accumulate other races' bonuses.

Glad I read the topic, if they aren't just bonus freebie planets this should make for an amazingly dynamic and living game.

I'll probably start a new one just to try this out!

I wonder how this interacts with the Colony Prevalence slider though. If Colony Prevalence is set to scarce while Independent Life is set to teeming, does that mean pretty much every colonizable planet will have independent life on it? Or are they completely separate, meaning there will be few colonizable empty planets, but a ton of independent life planets?

< Message edited by Abraxis -- 1/28/2011 6:58:51 PM >

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 11
RE: What dose 'independant life' slider actually increa... - 1/28/2011 8:17:25 PM   
Data

they are separate and you do indeed get few colonizable empty planets, but a ton of independent life planets

(in reply to Abraxis)
Post #: 12
RE: What dose 'independant life' slider actually increa... - 1/29/2011 9:39:39 PM   
gmot

Very interesting - I'll have to try out this myself in my next game. Unfortunately, won't be for a couple weeks until after some travel done.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> What dose 'independant life' slider actually increase/decrease? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI