Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Some Spring 42 Issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Some Spring 42 Issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some Spring 42 Issues - 1/23/2011 7:37:16 AM   
PMCN

I am playing under 1.02 Public Release. My game is at march 42 and I have noticed the following things that seem off.

1. I did a combat drop in december/january and still my TAPs are showing 100% Li-2 damaged. In over 8+ weeks some of them have yet to repair any planes. Some have been bombed in the last few weeks but still I'm not sure what is going on here. It certainly makes airborne ops difficult when it takes an eternity to re-org after a drop. Also I've seen a fairly consistant and high loss per week (6) on the Li-2 type of plane.

2. I have been seeing SAD's that don't exist on the map disband listed in my admin report. Also could it be possible to list what air command the air base was attached to?

3. The conversion to the 42a Rifle division causes a lot of havok in the TOE/production system. I have had Rifle divisions suddenly gain 2x the number of Rifle Squads and Rifle Squad(-) they should have. This sorts itself out in a week or so. Worse I have multiple Rifle divisions (including Guard divisions) that have lost all Rifle Squads in their TOE. They have only Rifle Squad(-) remaining.

4. The AI does not prioritize RR Cnst Bde for rairl repairs. It is very rare that I see one of them in use even though each Front has one.

5. There is some major confusion going on with the Cnst Bn. They get used for rail repair then end up in the Front HQ rather than in the Army HQ they originated from. Also they are moving up the chain, so that the Front HQ has 5-6 of them but the Army HQs have lost the lone one I usually have in it for aid in digging in. This can all be sorted out, but it seems related to the use of the Cnst Bn for rail repair, since I never saw this previous and it has only been in the last few months that I have been engaged in serious rail repairs.

6. The Lt. Hwz Bde and the Lt. Gun Bde are functionally identical. Both end up equipped with the 122 mm Hwz. I would have thought the Lt. Gun Bde would have gotten guns but when it formed it got the 152 mm Hwz, then after a few turns it transitioned to the 122 mm Hwz.

7. I have 9000 Rifle Squad(-) in my pool. This seems excessive.
Post #: 1
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 1/23/2011 1:34:56 PM   
Helpless

quote:

1. I did a combat drop in december/january and still my TAPs are showing 100% Li-2 damaged. In over 8+ weeks some of them have yet to repair any planes. Some have been bombed in the last few weeks but still I'm not sure what is going on here. It certainly makes airborne ops difficult when it takes an eternity to re-org after a drop. Also I've seen a fairly consistant and high loss per week (6) on the Li-2 type of plane.

Damage losses are quite high. There was a bug that planes were not repairing in Nat. Reserve. Where do you have those groups?

quote:

2. I have been seeing SAD's that don't exist on the map disband listed in my admin report. Also could it be possible to list what air command the air base was attached to?

3. The conversion to the 42a Rifle division causes a lot of havok in the TOE/production system. I have had Rifle divisions suddenly gain 2x the number of Rifle Squads and Rifle Squad(-) they should have. This sorts itself out in a week or so. Worse I have multiple Rifle divisions (including Guard divisions) that have lost all Rifle Squads in their TOE. They have only Rifle Squad(-) remaining.

Should be addressed in one of those (coming) beta.

quote:

6. The Lt. Hwz Bde and the Lt. Gun Bde are functionally identical. Both end up equipped with the 122 mm Hwz. I would have thought the Lt. Gun Bde would have gotten guns but when it formed it got the 152 mm Hwz, then after a few turns it transitioned to the 122 mm Hwz.

152mm Howitzers stopped to be produced shortly after the war starts, so all artillery types may switch to the more common 122mm.

quote:

7. I have 9000 Rifle Squad(-) in my pool. This seems excessive.

Ground elements may stuck in the pool if you have not enough manpower or armaments, or if there is no need, or if there is bug which was fixed recently :)

quote:

4. The AI does not prioritize RR Cnst Bde for rairl repairs. It is very rare that I see one of them in use even though each Front has one.

5. There is some major confusion going on with the Cnst Bn. They get used for rail repair then end up in the Front HQ rather than in the Army HQ they originated from. Also they are moving up the chain, so that the Front HQ has 5-6 of them but the Army HQs have lost the lone one I usually have in it for aid in digging in. This can all be sorted out, but it seems related to the use of the Cnst Bn for rail repair, since I never saw this previous and it has only been in the last few months that I have been engaged in serious rail repairs.

Can't comment much on the rail repair Bn run by AI. Need to be passed to Gary.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 2
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 1/23/2011 7:53:42 PM   
PMCN

The planes are at the DBAD bases I was using for the drops. I was thinking to send them back to the National reserve to repair but then thought there may be a bug about that but they have been on map since I used them and they are just sitting there damaged. I have been watching some of my partisan resupply and that is also experiencing high losses...worse I saw was 25% of the planes were lost due to crashes and lot more didn't fly due to maintenance or crash landing. I'm not seeing the same thing for the Ju52 so maybe it is just pilot skill but I'm seeing high loses to the U2 (trans).

Also the logic for the resupply baffles me at times. I saw it drop about 100 tons of supply on a PC with a single partisan squad...and when I looked at it in the turn the unit showed neither supplies nor amunition nor extra squads (NKVD, MG, Mortar, etc). So it wasn't at all clear to me where the 100 tons of air dropped things went.

The 152 mm is actually obsolete, but I would have thought the Lt. Gun Bde would have gotten 76 mm Field guns or 122 mm field guns but instead it gets Hwz. It isn't exactly the same as the Lt. Hwz Bde as the the Light Gun Bde I think has more weapons (72 vrs 60) but it seems odd to see a Gun Bde equipped with Hwz.

The 9000 Rifle Squad (-) is now coming down because the system is filling out Rifle division entirely with Rifle Squad(-) as opposed to a mix of Rifle Squad and Rifle Squad(-). This seems to be due to the 42a TOE change over since I never saw this during the 41b, or 41c TOE changes. I have enough manpower and armaments...this is in the pool, the system seems to over produce Rifle Squad(-). May be due to my relatively low losses. But the denuding of my divisions of Rifle Squads really caught me by surprise.

Thanks for the reply, if you need a save or whatever just ask.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 3
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 1/30/2011 2:20:26 PM   
PMCN

To spare making a new thread.

The finnish pioneers still remain down by Odessa but more of them have been seen up near Gomel...a very good discount tour package was apaprently organized by the Heer.

The Flame Thrower Company is available to be made in may of 42, unfortunately the flamethrower squads themselves don't show up until July (7-42).

None of my brigades have started to show up with Rifle Squad(+) even though they have virtually all transitioned over to the 42a TOE.

The air group upgrade system needs a look at I think. I have 193 P40Bs, and nearly 300 Yak-7A's plus 800 Hurricane II's sitting in my pool which never got moved out. The two Yak-7A Rgt's I made manually were a few weeks later upgraded to the 7B. At the same time the DB-3B is being replaced by the IL-4 even though I have barely any of them in the pool. The Pe-2 also just sits in the pool I've had a few new Rgts form but for the most part it isn't moving out either. I don't think what is happening now is a total catastrophe but I think there are room for improvement when you get time.

I have 5 Rifle Squads in my pool that are of a type that should only show up in july of 1943. I'm not at all sure where they come from. They first showed up the turn after I made my Motorized Bde...infact I have 5 Motorized Bde and 5 of these squads so maybe they represent the 1st squad made when the unit is formed?

Pavel thanks again for clearing up the vanishing rifle squad mystery.

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 4
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 1/30/2011 11:18:27 PM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul McNeely

The finnish pioneers still remain down by Odessa but more of them have been seen up near Gomel...a very good discount tour package was apaprently organized by the Heer.

Any idea when the Finnish pioneers when south? Do you have saves?

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 5
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 1/31/2011 11:49:14 AM   
PMCN

I have saves as I have autosave active, going back well over 20 turns.  I first noticed them at the start of may when the German spring offensive started. I first posted about this on 26/1 so I will look at my save game list to see what turn that was.  

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 6
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 1/31/2011 7:09:17 PM   
PMCN

I first saw it in turn 47, so here is turn 45 if this doesn't have them then I can give you 47...if it does and it doesn't help you give me an idea what turn you would like I have all the way back to turn 17. Also I put up turn 38 and 39 in the thread on experience loss so you can have a look there if it has occured at that point.

Let me know if I can help further.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 7
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 2/1/2011 9:51:58 AM   
PMCN

Not to be a broken record about this but...

My Li-2 TAPs are still filled with damaged airplanes from my december 41 air drops.  This is now May...that is 4 months to repair 20 airplanes in the TAP.  I don't know what is going on here.  It is possible that the planes are repaired then damaged again in training missions or something.  Some were bombed a few weeks back but having them sit with damaged air craft (3 of 4 TAPs have been at 0 ready aircraft since the drop) for months just seems a bit off.

The problem would be visible in the Turn 38 or 39 save Pavel still may have or if you advance the turn in the save above you will see it.  It really seems odd that they just sat there the whole time and no planes got fixed.

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 8
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 2/1/2011 12:47:07 PM   
Marquo

"152mm Howitzers stopped to be produced shortly after the war starts, so all artillery types may switch to the more common 122mm."

Check the generic data file - it has the 152mm Howitzers produced from 11/43 to 5/45 - if I am reading it correctly.

Marquo

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 9
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 2/3/2011 12:16:46 PM   
PMCN

There are two devices with the name 152 mm howitzer, one of them gets phased out in early 42 or late 41 I can't recall at the moment.  But the 152 mm howitzer is currently listed as obsolete in my production screen.

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 10
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 2/3/2011 12:50:55 PM   
Helpless

quote:

There are two devices with the name 152 mm howitzer, one of them gets phased out in early 42 or late 41 I can't recall at the moment. But the 152 mm howitzer is currently listed as obsolete in my production screen.

This is correct GE #809 - M-10 Howitzer is produced till the July 1941. Next version #827 - D-1 enters production in November 1943.

Pavel Zagzin

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 11
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 2/3/2011 1:02:01 PM   
cookie monster

quote:

Not to be a broken record about this but...

My Li-2 TAPs are still filled with damaged airplanes from my december 41 air drops.  This is now May...that is 4 months to repair 20 airplanes in the TAP.  I don't know what is going on here.  It is possible that the planes are repaired then damaged again in training missions or something.  Some were bombed a few weeks back but having them sit with damaged air craft (3 of 4 TAPs have been at 0 ready aircraft since the drop) for months just seems a bit off.

The problem would be visible in the Turn 38 or 39 save Pavel still may have or if you advance the turn in the save above you will see it.  It really seems odd that they just sat there the whole time and no planes got fixed.

Check the airbase support/need ratio in the detail window.

If you have say 9 groups the needed support can be way higher than support provided.

As in not enough mechanics for all those attached groups.

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 12
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 2/3/2011 1:32:39 PM   
PMCN

Ahhhh...I was wondering if there was some sort of mechanic about this but didn't see anything obvious that said..."you have overloaded your mechanics at this air base you twit."  More clear in WitP:AE this is.

I will do so, and see what is there.  It isn't 9 groups, but it is 5 groups total at the base and 3 of the groups are heavy bombers which have rather large demand for technical staff usually.

I still have a lot of 152mm in service but the number is dropping slowly probably due to attrition more than anything else.  I still find it odd that the Light Gun Bde doesn't have a TOE of 76 mm Field Guns but instead is using 122 mm Hwzs.  I am building PVO AA bde's largely to use up the obsolete 76 mm AA guns that are showing up, plus they give more protection to my forward Airbases.

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 13
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 2/3/2011 1:57:02 PM   
Helpless

quote:

I still find it odd that the Light Gun Bde doesn't have a TOE of 76 mm Field Guns but instead is using 122 mm Hwzs. I am building PVO AA bde's largely to use up the obsolete 76 mm AA guns that are showing up, plus they give more protection to my forward Airbases.

All swap out happen on the ground type basis. Both 76MM FG and 122MM Hwtz are of the same type. The only way to stop them it to introduce another type, ex. light artillery up to 76mm, or separate type for howitzers.. I agree that changing 76mm F-22 to 122mm M-30 howitzer is not quite logical.

Pavel Zagzin

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 14
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 2/3/2011 3:56:49 PM   
PMCN

Actually the situation was even odder.  When I formed the Lt Gun Bde they showed up equipped with the obsolete 152 mm Hwz.  These were guns I had spare in my pool.  Then I committed them to a pure artillery battle (likely far far to early) and well it turned out badly, then I committed one to battle a lot more logically and it got hammered by a bunch of stuka's.  So looking at the situation and seeing they were equipped with a gun I didn't make I pulled them out of the line, thinking they would never get to full TOE.  They were then sitting around in the rear attached to a different army when I spotted they had swapped out to the 122 mm Hwz.

The fact they got the 152 mm Hwz in the first place confused me.  I should check a bit what happens if I form a Light Gun Rgt and make a few Gun Bde's (which should get the 152 mm Gun-Hwz).

The only over all good news is that my stock of Rifle Squad(-) is going down.  But for the moment all my newly built Motorized Bde are getting the Rifle Squad(-).  I hope whatever magic you have done to the replacement system sorts this out as it has really been frustrating for me, when it didn't nearly cause me to hit the ceiling in shock and alarm.  It isn't just the Axis that have been suffering from strange stuff to do bureau personnel making a few mistakes on the forms...

Also I have yet to see a Rifle Squad(+) show up anywhere even though the 42a Bde TOE calls for it and nearly all my Bde's are converted to the 42a standard.  I'm tempted to make a Rifle Bde just to see if it will show up.  I'll check on my next turn when I build a new Motorized Bde if the July 43 Rifle squads I have in my pool are coming from the shell of the Bde, but I'm a certain as I can be that is where they are from.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 15
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 2/4/2011 7:33:54 AM   
PMCN

Ok...checked the support vrs need on the air bases.  Unfortunately the support is higher than the need, but it is not a lot higher in one case.  I just sent the TAPs to the national reserve.  The odd thing was that sending the TAP with 18-20 damaged Li-2's to the national reserve didn't lower the need of the air base.  So there is a still a chance the reason for this was a lack of skilled mechanics.

I can confirm the july 43 squads are coming from the shell units of the motorized bde...the unit shows up with 1 july 43 rifle squad when it is first formed.

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 16
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 2/4/2011 12:55:34 PM   
jaw

quote:

I can confirm the july 43 squads are coming from the shell units of the motorized bde...the unit shows up with 1 july 43 rifle squad when it is first formed.

The TOE is pointing to the wrong Rifle Squad. I will fix it ASAP.

Jim Wirth

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 17
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 2/5/2011 6:36:54 AM   
PMCN

This one is rather funny. The Voronhez Front shows up...it is commanded by "Oberwesel" a completely 0 leader with a 15 dismissal cost. I'm curious to see if the system does something about this obvious plant from German intellegence.

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 18
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 2/5/2011 7:08:35 AM   
Helpless

Did it come like this as reinforcement?

Pavel Zagzin

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 19
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 2/5/2011 11:29:16 AM   
PMCN

The front did indeed show up that way. I have the name slightly wrong...it is "Oberfeldwebel." When looking to replace him/it I spotted that all my Front Capable commanders are assigned to formations if this might be the cause of it.

Another thing I've noticed is that when a new partisan battalion shows up the computer dumps a lot of supply runs on it...pointlessly since none of the 100 tons of supplies show up as anything. I'm not sure they are wasted maybe they go to other partisan units but it is right annoying to watch the lavishing of supply runs on 11 guys.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 20
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 2/7/2011 3:15:06 PM   
PMCN

One thing, I sent the TAPs with the months long damaged Li-2's back to the National Reserve, the next turn they were all repaired.  Perhaps Cookie Monster's comments are correct, but it isn't something I recall seeing in the rules.  If there is some idea to update the rules it might be a good idea to include a section on airbase maintenance requirements.  I have to admit I didn't think there was an issue with how many of what type of planes were at a base outside of you were limited to 9.

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 21
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 2/8/2011 6:11:43 AM   
PMCN

Ok...getting into summer issues.

I saw the XXX IT Assault Engineer Bn and the II IT Engineer Bn in a combat up by Gomel then later on in the same turn about 70 miles from the Black Sea so these guys are very mobile. Worse though was that the fight near Gomel did not involve any Italian formations at all. Looks like these boys may have migrated to a non-italian HQ.

The Finnish engineers may be starting to regret their trip south, their losses are mounting.

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 22
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 2/8/2011 7:28:58 AM   
randallw

The computer once changed the HQ of one of my airbases to the Finnish Air Command.

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 23
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 2/8/2011 9:32:05 AM   
PMCN

Oh ho...The Finn's and their over-endowed blondes apparently are on a roll with their espionage activities.  Defecting airbases or airbase commanders!

One other thing I have had happen was I made a 42 Heavy AT Rgt, this units TOE lists heavy infantry guns as its main weapon.  I had 18 107 mm Infantry Guns in my pool, so I thought it was a good way to use up the obsolete guns.  Unfortunately as they are obsolete the computer promptly swapped them out for 122 mm Hwz. 

I think there is something slightly off with the way the automatic system handles obsolete things.  It is impossible to keep obsolete aircraft in service for example.  The P40B's are a waste since they were never deployed and if I manually set a unit to use them a few weeks later they swap to the P40E.  The same thing happens with the Yak-7A...no plane group ever changed or was formed that used this plane, and my manual swaps are now being changed over to Yak-7Bs.  At the same time I have 80+ IAP Rgts flying I-153 and I-16 Type 24 planes.  I have thousands of T60 and T70 tanks but still have the T26 in service in 20 units.  Over a thousand western tanks and still there is one group using T28 M1940?  It isn't a game breaking thing but it may be worth looking into the way obsolete things are treated.

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 24
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 2/8/2011 11:14:45 AM   
cookie monster

I thought if you manually upgraded then left the auto upgrade toggle to manual then the aircraft stayed as last selected.

Does that work?

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 25
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 2/8/2011 12:23:36 PM   
PMCN

If you don't set it to automatic upgrade that would also work, but I'd rather not have to delve this deep into micromanagement of my air force.  But it is mainly a comment on my part that this aspect (obsolete equipment) seems to have a few quirks that would bear some attention when more important stuff is solved.

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 26
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 2/8/2011 11:20:32 PM   
Marquo

I have been manually swapping out obsolete biplanes just as fast as MIGs, LAGGs and YAKs arrive - it only takes a few minutes but seems worth it.

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 27
RE: Some Spring 42 Issues - 2/9/2011 4:07:04 PM   
PMCN

I am making a point about the obsolete equipment swapping because the AI would be doing much the same thing that I am seeing.  So getting it to work better to help improve the AI is largely why I mentioned it.

(in reply to Marquo)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Some Spring 42 Issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI