Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I love the game but...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> I love the game but... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I love the game but... - 1/19/2011 3:33:44 AM   
Mozo

I've played 4 games and one of two things always happens (usually both).

1) I find (through pirates usually) boatloads of old ships that I repair and use. Many of these are large ships that allow me to dominate all other factions I fight (who never seem to have any).

2) I tech all of the other planet types and then colonize a ton of systems. These, added to the ones I take by force because of #1, and the game is over.

My only point here is that I think it would be cool to find 1, 2, or maybe 3 ships total. But many of these test sites, etc. have 5, 10, or 20 ships in them! And I always seem to find 5 or 6 of these sites (I play on 400 system galaxies, turn tech to the slowest, etc.).

I really love the game dynamics otherwise and really enjoyed playing it - but I wonder if there couldn't be a slider for frequency of free ships laying around.

Opinions? Comments? Am I missing something here?

Mozo
Post #: 1
RE: I love the game but... - 1/19/2011 5:18:27 AM   
Noble713

I just play with the "plotlines" or whatever turned off. Instead of finding huge graveyards of ships, you typically stumble upon abandoned starbases, and infrequently find solitary capital ships.

(in reply to Mozo)
Post #: 2
RE: I love the game but... - 1/19/2011 5:53:41 AM   
lordxorn

If you are finding the difficulty too easy, give the AI players more advantage by adding them manually and boosting them there.

Also increase the cost of tech to max, then you won't be flying through the tech tree.

(in reply to Noble713)
Post #: 3
RE: I love the game but... - 1/19/2011 6:25:00 AM   
Krob

quote:

ORIGINAL: lordxorn

If you are finding the difficulty too easy, give the AI players more advantage by adding them manually and boosting them there.

I have only contemplated it, but you could do this. With the manual configuration you have the option to create well established race, technologically superior races, or both, putting you at an extreme disadvantage straight out of the gate. Give yourself a poor homeworld, use only good/evil races and choose the opposite for yourself. There are plenty of ways to increase the difficulty.

K

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 4
RE: I love the game but... - 1/19/2011 9:53:47 AM   
Data

and be prepare for a really slow start, let us know how much time passes until you get your first tech from the tree

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Krob)
Post #: 5
RE: I love the game but... - 1/19/2011 4:11:09 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: lordxorn

Also increase the cost of tech to max, then you won't be flying through the tech tree.

Play with the tech cost at 999k, and make the AI at least 2 tech levels higher than you. Vastly increases the difficulty of the game.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 6
RE: I love the game but... - 1/19/2011 4:34:27 PM   
WoodMan

So playing with plotlines off actually removes the wreck sites, not just the story from them?  Thats handy to know, are you sure this is the case?

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 7
RE: I love the game but... - 1/19/2011 5:13:29 PM   
Howard Mitchell

SPOILERS!!

I fully agree about the debris fields and was going to raise a separate post about them as it is one of the few aspects of the game I don't like. There are too many, too powerful ships. This usually means that my fleets are packed out with 'alien' cruisers and capital ships well before my own technology can build anything like them. This robs me of some of the enjoyment of the technology tree as I can build a powerful battle fleet quite easily and quickly.

@ WoodMan - I started my most recent game with the DW storyline box unticked but the RotS one ticked. I am only a few day's play into the game but I have found no big debris fields, only scattered individual ships. Even these are, in my opinion, too much and I would likle to see fewer.

While the battles the British fight may differ in the widest possible ways, they invariably have two common characteristics – they are always fought uphill and always at the junction of two or more map sheets.

General Sir William Slim

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 8
RE: I love the game but... - 1/19/2011 6:12:17 PM   
Sabin Stargem

Personally, I think that improving the AI so that it more effectively handles debris fields would be an better alternative.

(in reply to Howard Mitchell)
Post #: 9
RE: I love the game but... - 1/19/2011 6:22:44 PM   
Data

Yes, this is wad.....i think even Elliot or Erik mentioned this once
not entirely sure but i think it's in the pedia also

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 10
RE: I love the game but... - 1/19/2011 7:21:42 PM   
aprezto

I have seen enemy constructor ships streaming out to, and taking, the advanced ships. So I know the AI tries to get them too.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 11
RE: I love the game but... - 1/19/2011 7:47:05 PM   
Fishers of Men

I just explored a weapons test site that had a blue circle around it. This is part of the story line where I was directed to go. When I arrived, there was nothing to find in the hyperspace reduced field. I believe this was one of the advanced ship graveyards, and I believe that the other empires had found it before me and repaired all the ships.

The story line seems stuck at this point because I continue to be directed there, even though there is nothing left for me to find there. What is my next step to advance the story? It also seems that the alien empires are using these advanced ships.

FoM

< Message edited by Fishers of Men -- 1/19/2011 7:48:45 PM >

Old............but very fast

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 12
RE: I love the game but... - 1/19/2011 8:10:01 PM   
gmot

I've seen other empire's constructors repairing in debris fields. I didn't know that turning off the storylines gets rid of them - good to know as I agree it can result in overpowered fleets early on. A single ship here and there is okay, but a whole whack (technical term, I know) of ships is too unbalancing.

(in reply to Fishers of Men)
Post #: 13
RE: I love the game but... - 1/19/2011 9:01:28 PM   
Mozo

Wow - that would be great if turning off the plot(s) removes them (or greatly reduced them). Can we get confirmation on that from someone official?

I have seen the AI taking some ships - but never encountered them in battle - and I'm usually there first and they are getting just the scraps. The point made here is that researching my combat techs makes so little difference when the majority of my fleets are alien created.

I would rather be on an even keel with the AI rather than making them artificially tougher. But I'll try some combination and see how it goes.

Thanks all for suggestions.

Mozo

(in reply to gmot)
Post #: 14
RE: I love the game but... - 1/19/2011 9:06:36 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishers of Men

I just explored a weapons test site that had a blue circle around it. This is part of the story line where I was directed to go. When I arrived, there was nothing to find in the hyperspace reduced field. I believe this was one of the advanced ship graveyards, and I believe that the other empires had found it before me and repaired all the ships.

The story line seems stuck at this point because I continue to be directed there, even though there is nothing left for me to find there. What is my next step to advance the story? It also seems that the alien empires are using these advanced ships.

FoM

Hello Fishers Of Men;
That is a bug that will be fixed in the upcoming next patch. Elliot is
aware of this.

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Fishers of Men)
Post #: 15
RE: I love the game but... - 1/19/2011 9:08:51 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mozo

Wow - that would be great if turning off the plot(s) removes them (or greatly reduced them). Can we get confirmation on that from someone official?

I have seen the AI taking some ships - but never encountered them in battle - and I'm usually there first and they are getting just the scraps. The point made here is that researching my combat techs makes so little difference when the majority of my fleets are alien created.

I would rather be on an even keel with the AI rather than making them artificially tougher. But I'll try some combination and see how it goes.

Thanks all for suggestions.

Mozo

Hello Mozo;

Yes, turning off the storyline plot when starting a new game eliminates
all the ship debris fields AND the 1 to 3 (depending on galaxy size) World
Destroyer/Desolation Moon Vessels.

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Mozo)
Post #: 16
RE: I love the game but... - 1/19/2011 9:23:08 PM   
tornnight

I never use the plot lines. No overpowered ships waiting to get fixed.
Makes for a much more balanced game.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 17
RE: I love the game but... - 1/19/2011 9:41:36 PM   
Mozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

Hello Mozo;

Yes, turning off the storyline plot when starting a new game eliminates
all the ship debris fields AND the 1 to 3 (depending on galaxy size) World
Destroyer/Desolation Moon Vessels.

Awesome news! I'm starting up a new game right now! Thanks again!

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 18
RE: I love the game but... - 1/19/2011 9:47:23 PM   
J HG T

The derelict fleets could use some toning down in general. I like to have them, but it can become serious overkill if you manage to salvage a whole fleet of Shakturis, their allies or the old alliance ships. Less ships on debris fields should be a good fix.

< Message edited by J HG T -- 1/19/2011 9:48:22 PM >

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Mozo)
Post #: 19
RE: I love the game but... - 1/19/2011 10:14:21 PM   
Data

since they are already derelicts another idea would be to put a countdown until a reactor breach that will destroy the damaged ship (taking your own ships in the process)
this countdown would be activated by our active sensors triggering a self destruct....i guess even then we could rush a fleet of constructors to workaround this, have to think more on this

anyway, i always found it strange that a derelict ship survives in a gas cloud with storms that destroy my not so well protected constructor ship - the derelict should already be badly damaged, not counting the ones that are in perfect operational shape

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 20
RE: I love the game but... - 1/20/2011 1:04:13 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

So playing with plotlines off actually removes the wreck sites, not just the story from them?  Thats handy to know, are you sure this is the case?

The wreck sites are also all labeled on the map, you could simply go into the editor and erase all the derelects at the 'Debris Field' and ' Desolation Moon' or 'World Annihilator' project sites.

Another option is to put a debris field near enough to each AI race that they can't help but find and repair them. If they find them, they will repair them.

< Message edited by Shark7 -- 1/20/2011 1:05:24 AM >

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 21
RE: I love the game but... - 1/20/2011 2:38:10 PM   
BigWolf

I always play with the storylines off, so I can tell you there are no graveyards

But there will still be the odd advanced ship around, just now you get interesting choices with them
1) Keep them as your flagships as an advantage for 1 or 2 of your fleets
or
2) Dismantle them for technology to provide smaller benefits for all your ships and bases

Before you could mix and match due to the sheer numbers floating around, now you'll be doing well to find half a dozen for yourself

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 22
RE: I love the game but... - 1/20/2011 3:16:32 PM   
Raap

I rarely bother with them, since by the time I find them I usually have far better ships myself. I usually send them straight to the space port to dismantle them and get tech. I did have an interesting game where my early-game enemy managed to find two of them though. While my ships had 40'ish firepower( i.e. tech level 1 pretty much) those ship had like 400-500 or something and excellent shielding. As I was soundly beating him, I was suddenly surprisingly challenged when those ships arrived and added some much needed competition for my ships. Eventually had to combine all my fleets and ships to take them out in a single attack. Must have lost like half my ships there, but it won me the war.

(in reply to BigWolf)
Post #: 23
RE: I love the game but... - 1/20/2011 3:35:15 PM   
Data

must've been an epic battle...you would be willing to go there again or next time you find them you destroy them?

(in reply to Raap)
Post #: 24
RE: I love the game but... - 1/20/2011 5:29:45 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raap

I rarely bother with them, since by the time I find them I usually have far better ships myself. I usually send them straight to the space port to dismantle them and get tech. I did have an interesting game where my early-game enemy managed to find two of them though. While my ships had 40'ish firepower( i.e. tech level 1 pretty much) those ship had like 400-500 or something and excellent shielding. As I was soundly beating him, I was suddenly surprisingly challenged when those ships arrived and added some much needed competition for my ships. Eventually had to combine all my fleets and ships to take them out in a single attack. Must have lost like half my ships there, but it won me the war.

I've found enough Titan Beam armed cruisers and frigates early on that I can literally wipe out the defenses of a home planet with the one fleet of 6 ships.

On the other hand, I've seen AI empires do the same with 1 or 2 of the really advanced ships as well. And you should really see what happens when an agressive AI race gets a world destroyer...ouchie!

< Message edited by Shark7 -- 1/20/2011 5:30:02 PM >

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Raap)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> I love the game but... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI