Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Interpretation of the air war needed (or areas that need slight work)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Interpretation of the air war needed (or areas that need slight work) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Interpretation of the air war needed (or areas that nee... - 1/19/2011 1:35:41 AM   
Bronze

First and foremost, great game. Kampfgruppe stopped me from being a straight A student, Second Front dropped the college GPA by 2 for a year and I feel that this one is going to do worse.

Playing 1.03beta as Germany, some points I need help with in the air war:
1. Recon: section 13.1.1 states that "there is no limit to the DL that can be gained by air reconnaissance." Four times I have done 20 recon missions on an occupied enemy unit (with either 1 or 4 initial DL) with recon units with 80+ experience and and never raised the detection level. Folks say they do this in their guides and AARs but I can't get it to work for me. And I'm talking early in the GC. And any way of getting the AI to balance out the missions as opposed to wearing out the first recon unit in my airbase and working it's way down?

2. Bombing airfields: seems to work historically on the first turn of the grand campaign. On the second turn and forward, my losses are 80% of what the enemy's are and I am barely killing any planes (sometimes ZERO!) on airfields with 100+ bombers, mostly intercepting enemy fighter losses (and I'm flying 150+ planes). June '41 against biplanes and AA!?!?!?!

3. Bomb unit mode: I can really only conduct one mission on the whole Eastern Front, per turn? I have tried on several campaign starts (yeah, the AI is pretty good, sadly even on normal) but no matter where I bomb initially, I cannot conduct a second mission. The enemy doesn't do enough movement to remotely tire my bombers on ground intercept so my bombers do not remotely get used to their initial potential.

4. Airlift of supplies: A bomber can only conduct one airlift per turn? Girlfriend's grandfather was flown out of Stalingrad right before christmas on a Heinkel of some type - I strongly doubt that airplane flew more than 1 air supply/evacuation mission per week even albeit winter. On that note, do air supply missions to surrounded units increase the manpower/disabled pool due to active/wounded being flown out? In my reading, I gather that the larger bombers were mostly used as transports later in the war. And how about an option for a mixed type airlift?

5. Non air war related: I make pockets of enemy units but when I have a HQ with a combat unit in it adjacent to a pocketed enemy unit, the HQ is moved far, far away with no movement points remaining when I move the combat unit in the stack eastward. Okay, I can kinda understand this with in supply enemy units but not with units that can be captured by Romanians.

6. How do I look at Reserve air units before moving them into an active airbase? I'd like to see the morale/experience before placing........

Very, very great game! Thank you.

< Message edited by Von Hindenburg -- 1/19/2011 2:20:00 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Interpretation of the air war needed (or areas that... - 1/19/2011 1:56:55 AM   
Baron von Beer

1: For air recon DL there is a limit:  clear terrain max DL=4, non clear <=3 hexes from one of your untis dl=2, >3 hexes dl=1. The no limit only applies to air base units. Adjacent combat units seem to be able to be brought up to 10, at least divisions or corps. Not sure if there's still a limit it can be raised as it's typically fairly high already.

5: HQs can always do a displacement move (voluntary or not) regardless of being isolated. If they are isolated  believe the losses it takes from this move are doubled.

(in reply to Bronze)
Post #: 2
RE: Interpretation of the air war needed (or areas that... - 1/19/2011 2:12:14 AM   
Bronze

Thanks for clarification on the first point - oops, right above my quote. On the 5th, I was referring to my HQ.

< Message edited by Von Hindenburg -- 1/19/2011 2:13:31 AM >

(in reply to Baron von Beer)
Post #: 3
RE: Interpretation of the air war needed (or areas that... - 1/19/2011 12:29:56 PM   
ComradeP

quote:

2. Bombing airfields: seems to work historically on the first turn of the grand campaign. On the second turn and forward, my losses are 80% of what the enemy's are and I am barely killing any planes (sometimes ZERO!) on airfields with 100+ bombers, mostly intercepting enemy fighter losses (and I'm flying 150+ planes). June '41 against biplanes and AA!?!?!?!

It's being looked at, there will be numerous changes to the air model in the future, but it isn't clear yet what's going to be changed.

quote:

3. Bomb unit mode: I can really only conduct one mission on the whole Eastern Front, per turn? I have tried on several campaign starts (yeah, the AI is pretty good, sadly even on normal) but no matter where I bomb initially, I cannot conduct a second mission. The enemy doesn't do enough movement to remotely tire my bombers on ground intercept so my bombers do not remotely get used to their initial potential.

You can do one bomb unit mission with each bomber squadron (or a few large bomb unit missions with a number of bomber squadrons).

quote:

4. Airlift of supplies: A bomber can only conduct one airlift per turn? Girlfriend's grandfather was flown out of Stalingrad right before christmas on a Heinkel of some type - I strongly doubt that airplane flew more than 1 air supply/evacuation mission per week even albeit winter. On that note, do air supply missions to surrounded units increase the manpower/disabled pool due to active/wounded being flown out? In my reading, I gather that the larger bombers were mostly used as transports later in the war. And how about an option for a mixed type airlift?

It's also being looked at. Currently, bombers can only fly one air supply mission per turn.

quote:

6. How do I look at Reserve air units before moving them into an active airbase? I'd like to see the morale/experience before placing........

They should be displayed normally in the air groups tab of the CR screen, although not on the same turn as you move them to the national reserve (they essentially withdraw and reappear next turn).

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 1/19/2011 12:30:46 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to Bronze)
Post #: 4
RE: Interpretation of the air war needed (or areas that... - 1/19/2011 4:51:05 PM   
molchomor

Just a thought, I have read that using radar was one thing that contributed heavily to axis air performance during the latter part of the war (e.g. during Zitadelle). Perhaps radar units could be added as late war reinforcements (and an equalizer?), if nothing else their unit picture would be very cool :)

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 5
RE: Interpretation of the air war needed (or areas that... - 1/19/2011 6:19:18 PM   
Baron von Beer

Ahh, missed that it was your HQ, but it's the same rule hitting it.   Any time an HQ finds itself without a combat unit in its hex, and an enemy combat unit in an adjacent hex, it will automatically displace. In your example, moving the combat unit out of the hex causes this. Best bet is to move the HQ & unit together for the first hex.

(in reply to molchomor)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Interpretation of the air war needed (or areas that need slight work) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI