First and foremost, great game. Kampfgruppe stopped me from being a straight A student, Second Front dropped the college GPA by 2 for a year and I feel that this one is going to do worse.
Playing 1.03beta as Germany, some points I need help with in the air war:
1. Recon: section 13.1.1 states that "there is no limit to the DL that can be gained by air reconnaissance." Four times I have done 20 recon missions on an occupied enemy unit (with either 1 or 4 initial DL) with recon units with 80+ experience and and never raised the detection level. Folks say they do this in their guides and AARs but I can't get it to work for me. And I'm talking early in the GC. And any way of getting the AI to balance out the missions as opposed to wearing out the first recon unit in my airbase and working it's way down?
2. Bombing airfields: seems to work historically on the first turn of the grand campaign. On the second turn and forward, my losses are 80% of what the enemy's are and I am barely killing any planes (sometimes ZERO!) on airfields with 100+ bombers, mostly intercepting enemy fighter losses (and I'm flying 150+ planes). June '41 against biplanes and AA!?!?!?!
3. Bomb unit mode: I can really only conduct one mission on the whole Eastern Front, per turn? I have tried on several campaign starts (yeah, the AI is pretty good, sadly even on normal) but no matter where I bomb initially, I cannot conduct a second mission. The enemy doesn't do enough movement to remotely tire my bombers on ground intercept so my bombers do not remotely get used to their initial potential.
4. Airlift of supplies: A bomber can only conduct one airlift per turn? Girlfriend's grandfather was flown out of Stalingrad right before christmas on a Heinkel of some type - I strongly doubt that airplane flew more than 1 air supply/evacuation mission per week even albeit winter. On that note, do air supply missions to surrounded units increase the manpower/disabled pool due to active/wounded being flown out? In my reading, I gather that the larger bombers were mostly used as transports later in the war. And how about an option for a mixed type airlift?
5. Non air war related: I make pockets of enemy units but when I have a HQ with a combat unit in it adjacent to a pocketed enemy unit, the HQ is moved far, far away with no movement points remaining when I move the combat unit in the stack eastward. Okay, I can kinda understand this with in supply enemy units but not with units that can be captured by Romanians.
6. How do I look at Reserve air units before moving them into an active airbase? I'd like to see the morale/experience before placing........
Very, very great game! Thank you.
< Message edited by Von Hindenburg -- 1/19/2011 2:20:00 AM >