Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Need help.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tech Support >> Need help. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need help. - 1/10/2011 11:49:01 PM   
Mozo

Fresh install, including ROTS expansion, beta latest version. I get this message. Any advice would be welcome.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Need help. - 1/11/2011 5:25:14 PM   
Sabre21

I'm having the same pop-up occur although I don't have any mods applied. Latest beta patch applied. It was working fine until I added DW and Star Trek Mods, then this pop up occurs when trying to create a new game although savegames work ok. I can press OK about 7 times and then the normal galaxy creation screen comes up.

I uninstalled the game and removed all the savegames from the app folder and reinstalled to inc the patch but still get the same pop-up proble. as above.

(in reply to Mozo)
Post #: 2
RE: Need help. - 1/11/2011 6:22:01 PM   
WoodMan

I can't help Mozo but I know what is causing your problem Sabre, as soon as you say you got it when you installed mods.

When you started a previous game did you add AI Empires manually at all?  If so, any races that are not available in the mod, for example, the default races may not be available in the Trek mod, but the Galaxy setup has remembered you choosing that no longer existant race, so the box will appear for every single AI Empire you added manually.  Before you change themes, remove any manually added Empires from this screen.

Another similar error can happen with incorrect file structure setup for mods.

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 3
RE: Need help. - 1/11/2011 8:54:32 PM   
Mozo

I HAD done the same thing - added mods, launched a game, selected races manually, and then I decided to uninstall and do a clean (or so I thought) install again. It must be remembering my selections from my previous install. Is there an ini file or something I need to delete that doesn't get removed when I uninstalled? I had deleted the game folder manually as well.

Thanks WoodMan for any and all help.

Regards,

Mozo

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 4
RE: Need help. - 1/11/2011 9:11:51 PM   
Igard

Hi, Mozo. There's a default option file located here, if you're using 1.5.0.1, - C:\Users\*User name*\AppData\Roaming\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds\1.5.0.1\defaultOptions.

Some have reported that removing that file clears all the lists and options. It should auto create next time you run the game, but make a backup of it somewhere just in case.

(in reply to Mozo)
Post #: 5
RE: Need help. - 1/11/2011 9:43:21 PM   
Data

mine for example is here -> D:\Documents and Settings\DBA\Application Data\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds\1.5.0.1\defaultOptions

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 6
RE: Need help. - 1/11/2011 11:25:05 PM   
Mozo

Thanks for your help! Unfortunately I searched and I don't have that file (or can't find it). I'm running WinXP.

Thanks again.

Mozo

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 7
RE: Need help. - 1/12/2011 12:16:54 AM   
WoodMan

Either the AppData or the Roaming folder (can't recall which) is actually hidden by deafult, so you need to view hidden folders.

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Mozo)
Post #: 8
RE: Need help. - 1/12/2011 12:27:29 AM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Mozo,

Did you manually delete the entire installation folder tree for a fully clean reinstall? The uninstaller will only delete the files it installed. It will not remove mod files or any other additional files.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 9
RE: Need help. - 1/12/2011 2:55:50 AM   
Mozo

Hi Erik,

I did delete the entire Distant Worlds folder - which had the mod files in it of course.  This was after I ran uninstall from the control panel.

Are there still registry entries, ini files, config files left over?  I can't seem to find the ones that were mentioned here.

Thanks,

- Mozo -

PS - wanted to say thanks to you and all the helpful/friendly people on this forum.  I've also lurked in WITP forums and I really have to say it's a pleasure working with a company such as yours and with the great community here.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 10
RE: Need help. - 1/12/2011 3:08:57 AM   
Igard

WoodMan is correct. I don't know if you have hidden folders shown or not, but these are the instructions I copied from Microsoft for XP,

To see hidden files:
1.On the Tools menu in Windows Explorer, click Folder Options.
2.Click the View tab.
3.Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

< Message edited by Igard -- 1/12/2011 3:10:12 AM >

(in reply to Mozo)
Post #: 11
RE: Need help. - 1/12/2011 3:16:13 AM   
Mozo

Thanks Igard,

I reinstall Win XP every 6 months or so and it's one of the first things I do on my check list (right after turning remote access off).

I searched and also clicked "search hidden files/folders" and that file and the parent folders didn't show up either!

Strange.

Thanks for your help,

Mozo

PS - Love the Kirk era mod - awesome work. And thank you!

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 12
RE: Need help. - 1/12/2011 3:22:48 AM   
Mozo

OK - I have no idea WHAT I did differently, but I searched for the file again and found it! I think maybe I didn't have all folders showing hidden files - at this point I don't care because I got it working after deleting the file mentioned earlier!

Thanks all! OMG - I can finally start playing again. So much for sleep tonight - luckily work canceled b/c of snow storm in the NE here so I'm golden!

Sorry to have taken so long to solve the problem. Again thanks!

Mozo

(in reply to Mozo)
Post #: 13
RE: Need help. - 1/12/2011 4:02:15 AM   
Sabre21

Yep..removing that default file did it for me too..thanks guys.

(in reply to Mozo)
Post #: 14
RE: Need help. - 1/12/2011 10:02:41 AM   
Data

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mozo

OK - I have no idea WHAT I did differently, but I searched for the file again and found it! I think maybe I didn't have all folders showing hidden files

If I remember correctly Windows has also an option to cascade the changes you make for the current folder to all folders; if that is not checked than you'd get in a situation like this.

Anway, glad to hear you're back on track....go explore and expand

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Mozo)
Post #: 15
RE: Need help. - 1/15/2011 2:16:58 AM   
elliotg

Glad you got this sorted out guys. This bug is fixed in the next update, so in future you should see no further issues like this when you use custom themes.

Thanks
Elliot

(in reply to Mozo)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tech Support >> Need help. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI