Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best use of Ausi Div's ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Best use of Ausi Div's ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best use of Ausi Div's ? - 1/7/2011 5:57:46 PM   
sdhundt

Just wondering from the rest of you how you have best used the Ausi. Div's that you get during the game. First assuming you get the soldiers out of Singapore do you send them directly to Darwin to rebuild and then where to ? Maybe PM or stay in OZ ? How about the others you get from Aden, do you send to India, back to OZ or maybe somewhere else ? I know it mostly depends on your pbem opponent but I would be very interested in your tactics in the use of these very strong units, thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Best use of Ausi Div's ? - 1/7/2011 8:34:32 PM   
kbfchicago

AI game - up to 10/44.

Used the first one to hold Timor.  Held 2nd in reserve initially, used it to reinforce my stand at Cox's Bazzar then spearhead the counter attk into Burma from India.  In early 44 Timor garrison released to "port hop" up Indonesia, leap frogging a couple of US Divisions.  2nd Div is back in reserve with Rangoon taken (7/44), let the Brit/Indian units handle Bangkok, Aussies have an eye on leading into Hong Kong in late '44 or early '45. (IJ still holds Singapore, but I've got enough already engaged to take it...).

Key play was keeping Timor out of Japanese hands.  It was quite dicey for a bit.  Got the Division in place on both ends of the island just before hvy IJN fleets showed up.  They got Raba (still hold it, I by passed and am letting the Div+ left their starve to death...) but it looked like the show of force between the Division and airframes committed kept them off or from going to Timor...which helped keep Darwin, which helped free up maneuvers around Port Morsby (which I was also able to hold), which help turn the tide in early '43...

I did "waste" the first divisions armor and engineers in a futile attempt to hold a western port in Sumatra.  Won't make that mistake again...  I didn't think I could sustain the whole Div there, good choice in retrospect, so opted for Timor as the place to make my Indo-DEI stand with an intent to protect Darwin/Morsbey corridor.

I think I spent about a week of game time from when it showed up till I decided to make the stand on Timor.  With a "live" vs AI opponent suspect you will need to be decisive immeadiately if you want to use the first division to make a stand (where ever that may be)  The AI is a bit "scattered" in it's approach.  Suspect most live opponents will be a bit more focused, not giving you the time to watch the attacks develop... based on my current game, my $s on Timor...with Burma/SE India corridor (Cox's bazzar, et al) as a close second choice if he's make a strong move there.  There should be enough you can bring from OZ to hold Port Morsbey.  I liked the saftey blanket of holding the second division in reserve... with Political Points short early on there's not much availble to react with.

Good Gamming.  Kevin

(in reply to sdhundt)
Post #: 2
RE: Best use of Ausi Div's ? - 1/10/2011 4:30:44 AM   
bigred

quote:

ORIGINAL: sdhundt

Just wondering from the rest of you how you have best used the Ausi. Div's that you get during the game. First assuming you get the soldiers out of Singapore do you send them directly to Darwin to rebuild and then where to ? Maybe PM or stay in OZ ? How about the others you get from Aden, do you send to India, back to OZ or maybe somewhere else ? I know it mostly depends on your pbem opponent but I would be very interested in your tactics in the use of these very strong units, thanks.

If the aussie regiments at singers are eliminated you can gather the lark, sparrow and hawk battalions together then they will will reform the 8th Aus division. Probably takes about 6 months to reload the unit.

(in reply to sdhundt)
Post #: 3
RE: Best use of Ausi Div's ? - 1/10/2011 8:27:42 AM   
Dobey455

The real question, to my mind, is what do you do with the A.I.F replacement squads?

Basically you have to choose between upgrading the militia units to A.I.F or rebuilding the 8th Division. Personally I would rather have a 4th high quality division than upgrade the troop type of (generally) low experience and low morale units.

(in reply to sdhundt)
Post #: 4
RE: Best use of Ausi Div's ? - 1/10/2011 8:27:59 AM   
Dobey455

As for where to commit the divisions, well interestingly most player do exactly the opposite of what happened historically and commit them to Burma \ India.

Historically Churchill desperately wanted the 6th and 7th AIF divisions to be committed to the defence of Burma and India and promised a US division would be sent to Aus to beef up it's defence.
The Australian government wanted to pull all three of its divisions out of Africa and the middle east and bring them home for the defence of Australia.

Eventually after a quite bitter political struggle the Australian government was able to secure the immediate return of the 6th and 7th divisions to Australia with the 9th division returning after El Alamein. All served in the SW Pacific and DEI (Borneo)

I'm in the minority of players it seems. I actually agree with not committing high value assets to India\Burma. I just don't see the point (for either side) in committing high quality units to the periphery of the map. Personally I think the British and Indian forces already in theatre are sufficient to hold India.

< Message edited by Dobey -- 1/10/2011 8:28:35 AM >

(in reply to Dobey455)
Post #: 5
RE: Best use of Ausi Div's ? - 1/10/2011 12:32:34 PM   
Smeulders

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dobey

The real question, to my mind, is what do you do with the A.I.F replacement squads?

Basically you have to choose between upgrading the militia units to A.I.F or rebuilding the 8th Division. Personally I would rather have a 4th high quality division than upgrade the troop type of (generally) low experience and low morale units.

You do not have to lose the AIF squads when upgrading the militia units. Make sure you have enough squads in pool, upgrade and immediately turn them off again. At most you'll lost one or two squads per brigade that is upgraded (if there are no disablements left). The units will not be really fit for heavy combat, but if there would be an invasion of Australia these units will perform a lot better than if they had kept the CMF squads.

You should also note that the 8th Division will lose experience when filling out again,as adding devices can lower experience in a unit.

As to their use, I rather like using them in Burma/India. Around Australia and in the pacific ships and LBA count, in India/Burma it's LCUs. If you use the Aussies there for a year it will help a lot, after that the Indian army has filled out enough and the Australians can move home again, in time for the 43' attacks. Of course, this strategy is risky as your opponent might go all out to take Australia if there are few LCUs there.

(in reply to Dobey455)
Post #: 6
RE: Best use of Ausi Div's ? - 1/10/2011 2:15:42 PM   
herwin

I use them in Australia--initially to stiffen the defences in the north and later as assault units. You have to outnumber your opponent in AV if you want to make up for the shock bonus, and Burma is too easy for the Japanese to reinforce, so I don't waste them there. The Burma-India border region is a major obstacle to movement, so my main concern in India is amphibious operations, which have to be countered with large garrisons in the major ports and minimal forces elsewhere to serve as speed bumps. I intend to use the Aussies later for offence, so I'd rather not tie them up in defensive operations that can be handled just as well by lower quality Indian divisions.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 7
RE: Best use of Ausi Div's ? - 1/10/2011 3:22:05 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

Last game I played my thinking was this-
Aussies from Singers go to Perth to assist in defense, Aussies that arrive in Aden go to SE India to assist in defense of big airfields I'm building to pound Burma and US Army divisions that are bought out from the mainland go to Austrialia. Once the Japanese thrust is absorbed come early Summer you can start to make preperations for them to return to Austrailia and determine your plan of attack.

Every game is different and it depends on what your opponent focuses on, if you send additional troops to Darwin make sure they have plenty of supply before the Japanese invade Timor because supply doesn't flow much up the track until the outposts are built up so you'll need engineers too.

(in reply to sdhundt)
Post #: 8
RE: Best use of Ausi Div's ? - 1/10/2011 6:35:38 PM   
oldman45

It really depends if your playing the AI or human. I only play the AI so I hold Palembang with the III Corp from Singapore, the Brit 18th lands in Java and the Australians go to Java if the AI is being very aggressive or to Australia to use with the SW Pacific in New Guinea/Solomons. Later in the war I will send the Australian 1st Corp to retake the DEI.

< Message edited by oldman45 -- 1/10/2011 9:38:23 PM >

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 9
RE: Best use of Ausi Div's ? - 1/10/2011 8:11:38 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigred

quote:

If the aussie regiments at singers are eliminated you can gather the lark, sparrow and hawk battalions together then they will will reform the 8th Aus division. Probably takes about 6 months to reload the unit.

No longer necessary since under the latest patch you can rebuild any unit anyhow. With the Aussies, you have to fill them with infantry and that is a problem as the replacment rate is so slow and many units start understrength that it is questionable as to how many you want to rebuild. Plus you are competing with other Commonwealth units for equipment that just trickles in. So, if you are using your Indian army very heavily, you may not really have enough.

The Australian 1st Corps that comes in at Aden went to India in my campaigns until I felt that any threat to India was past then they were shifted to OZ where there were some serious Japanese incursions. The two divisions from the corps are first rate and as powerful as any Allied unit. Not to mention the high experience.

As for the rest, you will never get enough PP to buy them all (real men pay retail) out so you need to be selective about the ones you do. All of the armor units that are not due to withdraw (about half of them) are worth buying out. Two Aussie cavalry brigades can upgrade to armor but one will have to withdraw in early 43. The remaining brigade fills up to become one of the strongest Allied armored units in the game-with about 120 medium tanks and 40 lights. I buy this unit out early when it is cheap to do so. The other Aussie tank regiments are also very nice with about 50-60 tanks-most of them mediums. I might buy out one other Australian Division but that is about all as you really want to use US units most of the time due to the better replacment rates for men and equipment.

You can buy out more Australian units as it saves shipping US units to the theater but US units eventually get so much stronger due to better equipment as the war progresses. So, it is up to you.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Best use of Ausi Div's ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI