Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) vs SireChaos (Axis)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) vs SireChaos (Axis) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) vs Si... - 12/29/2010 2:32:58 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Well, first post of this AAR

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke
Post #: 1
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 12/29/2010 2:38:30 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Aircraft losses: 4568
Ground losses: 150.000

In the North... I will be evacuating by sea at least the armored and mechanised units trapped west of Riga. The other vict... er, units will try to delay the butchers that will soon appear to finish the job

Attachment (1)

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 2
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 12/29/2010 2:40:49 PM   
TulliusDetritus

In the Center, good job SireChaos Nice pocket. RIP to everyone trapped there.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 12/29/2010 2:43:22 PM   
TulliusDetritus

In the Southwest, well, I think I will manage to save most of the units By rail, obviously.

Nothing in the south, so no screenshot.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 12/29/2010 2:50:48 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Now some 'strategic' considerations...

I don't think I will be inventing anything So I'm going to follow the Soviet strategy*

a) most important enemy units are in the center (or Western District)
b) Moscow is the capital of the motherland

ergo... most of the strategic reserves will go THERE

The STAVKA armies 19, 20, 21, 22 will be sent to this important sector. The 16 (in Ukraine) will be sent to cover the Moscow approaches too.

* given that Uncle Joe is now fired I will not issue "do not retreat at all" orders.

Post #: 5
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 12/29/2010 4:26:20 PM   
rominet

Hi TD

you mean that you are able to evacuate nearly all sov units in the vicinity of Lvov by rail?

Is there a mean for germans (i am thinking of aviation) to prevent such massive evacuation by trains?

Ça me semble un peu fort quand même.

< Message edited by rominet -- 12/29/2010 4:27:19 PM >

Post #: 6
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 12/29/2010 4:49:36 PM   
SireChaos

I hope I´m welcome in this thread as well. If nothing else, I can provide some cruel mockery that will go very well with your unanswered cries for mercy...

I see I should have had that tank division in the South move two hexes further Southeast, to cut off the rail line. Well, never mind, I´ll just encircle and eliminate those troops later.

Speaking of eliminating, unfortunately I did not save a screenshot of the losses screen after I was done with airfield attacks - I think the loss ratio was about 80 Axis (70 of them German) to 4,500 Soviet. A lot of air bases near the front didn´t have a single ready aircraft left - and throughout the turn I have not lost a single of my aircraft in air-to-air.

Before we go on, let me give you the same advice that my dentist always gives me: "This will hurt a lot less if you stop struggling."

(in reply to rominet)
Post #: 7
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 12/29/2010 6:24:17 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Well, starting from here, SireChaos is not welcome Or I will be forced to send my assassins (as opposed to my e-units)

Rominet, there is a rail path (already checked) Now, I have like 70k points. I will only evacuate the industry of Minsk this turn. The rest of the points should be used for the almost trapped units in this Lvov salient. I don't know if there will be enough points though (I'm still a NOOB)

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 8
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 12/29/2010 8:50:16 PM   
randallw

The first few turns have a penalty on Soviet rail capacity; you can't evacuate all the cities that are threatened, and evacuate ground units at the front, and move up all reinforcements from the rear.

No, air power cannot stop individual trains.  All you can do is bomb railyard capacity.

Don't feel that bad about losing 4 1/2 k planes; some people are able to destroy about 5 or 5 1/2 k.

Post #: 9
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 12/29/2010 9:11:01 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Well, I haven't said it yet so here I go: ALL the advices (including harsh criticism) are the most welcome

Well, against the Axis AI I managed to evacuate all the units in the Pripyat marshes (by rail that is). Because the fact is as soon as the panzers surround the marshes, every unit there is toasted. So... I would like to evacuate these units (by rail, as I did vs the AI) on next turn. That's what my heart says. But as for the head: aren't they slowing down enemy infantry units (which will try to exterminate them in these marshes)? What do you think? Is my heart correct or they should er... basically die (if not all, many of them)?

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 12/29/2010 9:13:38 PM >

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 10
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 12/29/2010 11:37:55 PM   
randallw

Personally I get them out of the marshes; it would be silly for him to invest large forces to hunt them down.

Post #: 11
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 12/30/2010 4:33:13 AM   
notenome

Thing is that large forces in the marshes threaten the Axis rear, so a paranoid Axis player will send a large force to ensure his precious rail lines stay intact.

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 12
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 12/30/2010 3:07:40 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Well, Rominet, it CAN be done The Lvov salient is now desert, except the SEC and fortified regions

Not only that... I too could use rail points to evacuate units from the Pripyat marshes and some units west of Minsk

Maybe they [units of the Lvov salient] are now too close to Panzers, but I wanted to to make sure I had enough points to evacuate almost everyone. Which was done.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 13
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 12/30/2010 3:13:16 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Pripyat marshes. The ducks are now happy

Attachment (1)

Post #: 14
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 12/30/2010 3:14:27 PM   
rominet

Thanks for information.
It is not a good news for germans.
I wonder if it is reallistic.

Post #: 15
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 12/30/2010 3:20:04 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: rominet

Thanks for information.
It is not a good news for germans.
I wonder if it is reallistic.

Well, one thing is certain... Uncle Joe (now in the Gulag) is outraged

(in reply to rominet)
Post #: 16
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 12/30/2010 7:51:20 PM   
TulliusDetritus

I have sent my turn. I have to mention that I did a totally noobish thing Vassilevsky is now dead. He wasn't killed (no matter what the game says) I did assassinate him

So what happened? I knew HQs take a lot of rail points so wanted to save combat units first (especially when the Soviet Corps HQs will soon disappear). So I finally ran out of rail points and the HQs in the Lvov salient were ordered to march towards safety. Then I did use the ******* relocate thing... The Saint Vitus dance started (they were almost out of the pocket but the relocate thing placed them well inside the pocket again). As you may imagine, after 4 o 5 relocate things, the leader was finally killed... The victim (Vassilevsky that is) then was put in charge. The Saint Vitus dance continued (the HQ was still INSIDE the pocket) and after 3 or 4 relocate things he was finally assassinated (by me)...

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 12/30/2010 7:53:06 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 12/31/2010 3:40:44 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Turn 2 - 26 june 1941

Well, in the north it looks like I am going to be able to evacuate the trapped units west of Riga Sun is shining, birds are singing blah blah blah. Oh, first heroes of the war: a NKVD division in Riga. They faced 2 panzer divisions and still HELD (I guess you have to love the HELD thing on your screen when you play the as soviets -first months of the war)

Something is weird though... the center of his north front is empty *bait bait bait self-control Tullius* That or his mobile forces are trying to kill Riga defenders... I will discuss later.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 18
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 12/31/2010 3:43:19 PM   
TulliusDetritus

The Western district. He's planning a massacre. I smell it

Attachment (1)

Post #: 19
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 12/31/2010 3:46:16 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Southwest front... ah, everyone is safe here so far SireChaos said something about trapping the units of the Lvov salient later. Well, I have other plans for these units: BERLIN...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 20
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 12/31/2010 3:48:33 PM   
TulliusDetritus

And finally the South Front. He's attacked in the middle. No problemo I'm rather confident here. There are two mobile Soviet corps as reserve.

EDIT: well, sorry, he's attacked everywhere. I mean only the middle is empty (no Soviet units there... for now)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 12/31/2010 3:49:20 PM >

Post #: 21
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 12/31/2010 3:51:33 PM   
TulliusDetritus

And losses. I have lost 'only' 300 planes this turn. Oh, he's obviously finished the guys trapped in the big pocket of the Western Front (and other guys of the Northwest front).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 12/31/2010 3:52:45 PM >

Post #: 22
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 1/1/2011 6:05:33 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Well, turn 2 sent. So I will discuss some issues. First off, last turn I appointed Zhukov as Boss-in-Chief of the Western district. I too spent APs: I bought contruction Bns for 4 or 5 armies (mostly the ones which will be fighting in the most important sector: the center that is).

And an [possibly unaccurate] observation about my opponent When he sent the first turn I was rather surprised I had seen quite many opening moves of the Germans (I mean on these forums) and most of the time the players were using the Panzers quite agressively. So SireChaos is much more prudent or conservative. I will have to remember this, as it can be important

I think he might want to do what you see on this pic:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 23
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 1/1/2011 6:09:01 PM   
TulliusDetritus

As I said above the most important front is the center. So I have placed quite many STAVKA strategic reserves (NOT fully deployed yet: the 16th Army has just arrived from Ukraine -by rail, obviously)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 24
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 1/1/2011 6:12:38 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Oh, the units I managed to save this turn from the pocket west of Riga Evacuated by sea, that is.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 25
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 1/1/2011 6:20:06 PM   
TulliusDetritus

My first deployment in the Southwest Front. Now I have to talk about the RESERVES The Corps are still on the game. So let's say most of them have 3 divisions. 1 will be on the reserve. The ONLY place where I have been able to do this is in this front So I have a first line (checkerboard). Behind there is the second line AND the reserves of the first line. Then a third line which will contain the reserves of the second line. 3 lines will be the maximum, I guess. For sure this system has to be polished but now the whole situation (fascist hordes invading the motherland, caught pants down) is a miasma of sh*t

Attachment (1)

Post #: 26
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 1/1/2011 6:25:17 PM   
TulliusDetritus

In the South I have pulled back. What happens here is rather irrelevant. What matters is the SW. If that front falls then the South is doomed if you don't retreat this front, so... Odessa will try to resist though.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 27
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 1/1/2011 6:36:51 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Oh, and the Northwest Front. At first, it seemed I would not have units to more or less defend this place, before the hordes (strategic reserves) arrive. But It's not that bad. Plus the 3 divisions I evacuated west of Riga (maybe I can evacuate a few more on next turn, but I doubt it). Let's hope the NKVD guys keep resisting in Riga one or two more turns.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 28
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 1/1/2011 6:43:13 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Ah, and from now on, I have to think about Leningrad! Moscow (therefore the center) is prioritary. Leningrad is next on that list. Grosso modo, I think I will need minimum 20 or 30 divisions to defend that place and the line of communication (rail) which has to be a prioritary target for the German player.

I am going to analyse the whole thing

Post #: 29
RE: Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) v... - 1/1/2011 11:15:23 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Well, first [primitive] ideas about the defense of Leningrad:

Leningrad + First Line + Second Line:

If everyone gets 3-units stacks then => 10 x 3 = 30 divisions
Same as above but second line only gets 2-units stacks => 9 + 14 = 23 divisions

Leningrad + First Line + Second Line + Third Line:

If everyone gets 3-units stacks I think it's prohibitive, so no need to calculate

Same as above but only Leningrad and first line get 3-units stacks (the others get 2-units stacks):
9 + 14 + 18 = 41 divisions

And I must count the reserves: 5 or 6 divisions perhaps?

Humm, I suspect I can't afford that third line (I might be wrong but...)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Stalin's fired, I'm in charge! - Tullius (Soviet) vs SireChaos (Axis) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI