Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Colonizable Planets--Where are they?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Colonizable Planets--Where are they? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Colonizable Planets--Where are they? - 12/17/2010 5:53:23 AM   
DMan777

I've begun two different games of RotS, the first with the colony prevalence slider at normal, the next with one step up from normal. In both games, I've explored 20-40 systems and have yet to find a colonizable planet. Am I doing something wrong? I never had this difficulty in vanilla DW.

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Colonizable Planets--Where are they? - 12/17/2010 6:05:52 AM   
TheLastRonin

quote:

ORIGINAL: DMan777

I've begun two different games of RotS, the first with the colony prevalence slider at normal, the next with one step up from normal. In both games, I've explored 20-40 systems and have yet to find a colonizable planet. Am I doing something wrong? I never had this difficulty in vanilla DW.

Thanks

I think they're slightly more rare on normal (possibly due to the way tech works now you can't colonise everything right off the bat) but I'm personally finding a lot more planets, sometimes 12+ planets (not even counting moons) in one system.

(in reply to DMan777)
Post #: 2
RE: Colonizable Planets--Where are they? - 12/17/2010 7:17:48 AM   
Baleur

Im finding less planets too, mostly due to only being able to colonize 1 type from the start without research :)

(in reply to TheLastRonin)
Post #: 3
RE: Colonizable Planets--Where are they? - 12/17/2010 12:55:48 PM   
Carewolf

Take a colony ship and right-click every unexplored system. If there is colonizable planets in the system, a submenu will appear offering you to command the colonyship to go there and colonize the planets. But I am pretty sure this is a bug and an exploit ;)

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 4
RE: Colonizable Planets--Where are they? - 12/17/2010 4:09:38 PM   
DMan777

I'll have to look into the tech tree suggestion.  This does however intensify one of my reservations about RotS--that I would not be able to continue playing the game the way I enjoyed it.  I often played DW like something more akin to a simulation than a strategy game.  I used to concentrate mainly on exploration and colonization and leave most functions automated to just see what happens.  I like to think of it like an ant farm where I decide where the tunnels go.

I'm certainly not giving up on it, but I think I'm going to have to make some adjustments.

(in reply to Carewolf)
Post #: 5
RE: Colonizable Planets--Where are they? - 12/17/2010 4:41:25 PM   
Erik Rutins

You can actually leave Research automated, set policies for general focus and add a few manual requests to the research queue.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to DMan777)
Post #: 6
RE: Colonizable Planets--Where are they? - 12/17/2010 5:50:21 PM   
DMan777

Thanks, Erik.  I definitely have to do some exploring with the new aspects of the game.  I've only had about an hour with it so far, but it is greatly improved over the original release.  Today's my last work day of 2010, so I hope to have lots of time to tinker in the next two weeks.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 7
RE: Colonizable Planets--Where are they? - 12/17/2010 6:28:53 PM   
Justascratch

In most of my games I found that usually colonizable planets were more sparse than in the original game.

Even when you gain techs to colonize new planets it cn be difficult to find then with a value above 50 (especially volcanic and desert planets).

Still, as the game progresses you usually end up with plenty of planets to manage.

I like the fact that empires mature a bit more slowly and that truly excellent planets are "precious assets that must be guarded jealously".

Late in the game you can do some very cool things with stealth an intelligence that allows you to attack seveal "precious systems" of an enemy quickly and without warning to bring them to their knees. Very satisfying.

(in reply to DMan777)
Post #: 8
RE: Colonizable Planets--Where are they? - 12/17/2010 8:29:28 PM   
Igard

I must say, I'm playing on the 'occasional' setting. It's very hard to come by colonisable worlds so exploration has now become paramount. I'm getting more involved with searching for new worlds rather than just checking the expansion manager every 20 minutes.

Good stuff.

(in reply to Justascratch)
Post #: 9
RE: Colonizable Planets--Where are they? - 12/20/2010 4:25:54 AM   
shinobu

Has the formula for game creation been tweaked here or what? I've been doing some custom game creation, then looking at nearby systems with the game editor. On the "Colony Prevalence" setting of "plentiful", I have looked at about 20-30 systems out from my home system and maybe found one continental planet. In regard to the "Independent Alien Life", on a setting "teeming", again it is hard to find more than one or two in an entire 700 star galaxy!

Really not trying to be negative here, but something seems amiss...

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 10
RE: Colonizable Planets--Where are they? - 12/20/2010 4:31:59 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Justascratch
Late in the game you can do some very cool things with stealth an intelligence that allows you to attack seveal "precious systems" of an enemy quickly and without warning to bring them to their knees. Very satisfying.

I haven't found stealth to be of any use. As far as I can tell, the AI behaviour is identical for reacting to stealthed and un-stealthed fleets. Have you actually experimented with it?

(in reply to Justascratch)
Post #: 11
RE: Colonizable Planets--Where are they? - 12/20/2010 11:37:02 AM   
Litjan

Once I gained the abilities to colonize marshy swamp, ocean, desert and ice I have so many (dozens) colonizable planets in my list that I can´t build colony ships fast enough. And this is on a small map with 6 opponents, normal settings. I agree, there are few continental planets, but more than enough other ones to settle on, even with good quality.

I still settle the lesser quality ones, if they are in a strategically important place.

Jan

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 12
RE: Colonizable Planets--Where are they? - 12/20/2010 11:48:37 AM   
ASHBERY76

In the game you now research colony types.So less continental planets is just balanced better for this new system.

< Message edited by ASHBERY76 -- 12/20/2010 11:54:06 AM >

(in reply to Litjan)
Post #: 13
RE: Colonizable Planets--Where are they? - 12/20/2010 12:07:28 PM   
elmo3

Only playing my first game with RotS and I have four colonies out of about 40 systems explored.  Just researched continental colonization (to go with marshy swamp that is my homeworld) and that opened up a couple more planets for me.  Playing on normal and it feels about right to me.  Maybe the design philosophy has shifted a bit more toward "if you want colonies, go take them from someone".  

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Colonizable Planets--Where are they? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI