Micromanagers Intro to Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Justascratch

Micromanagers Intro to Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi

Post by Justascratch »

Welcome to my first after action report for Return of the Shakturi the new expansion pack for Distant Worlds!

While it will be left to other more intrepid emperors to chronicle their epic exploits of galactic domination. This humble after action report will be tuned to the micromagers among our ranks who revel in the details. Boy are you guys in for a great time with this expansion! By now Distant Worlds has already earned a reputation as one of the best balanced 4x games out there. And this expansion adds a new set of tools that maintains this balance by offering both micro and macro manager players a bevy of new tools and features that support both styles of play.

So this thread will cover the first ten years or so of starting an empire with an eye on the details. Of course, I'm sure that most of you are also interested in the big finish (and it is truly big!). So others will be posting more complete reports that will take you through an entire game.

So let's jump in and setup a new game.

The first screen has some new features and there has been some serious attention given to tweaking all the options to over a more exciting and balanced game.

As you can see, the research slider now provides you with the going price of level one technology as you move the slider left to right. While playing, you will notice that the pace of research at the default setting feels a bit different from the original game. A great deal of time was spent tweaking this option with an eye on how it affects play balance as well as how it triggers programmed events. The overall result brings a new strategic feel to the game that I for one found very appealing. Of course the entire research portion of the game has also be reworked bringing a new depth of play that brings even more relevance to these controls. In any event, you still have a great deal of control over the pace of research even with the additional factors to consider.

Attachments
Setup001.jpg
Setup001.jpg (226.75 KiB) Viewed 879 times
Justascratch

RE: Micromanagers Into to Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi

Post by Justascratch »

Oops! Forgot to mention the new feature for Pirate starting locations! Pirates are one of the great aspects of Distant Worlds that tend to polarize players (yer either fer or agin em). In the original game most games began with a pirate base nearby, but now you can spread them out a bit more and give yourself a little breathing room before they come calling. Of course, some folks feel that "properly manipulated" the pirates can be quite useful, especially in the early stages of the game. Either way you get a bit more control to setup the game to your liking.

Moving along to the next screen you will notice I'm playing as an insectoid race. In this expansion, the Shakturi tend to like the insectoids (and hate everyone else) so it is my goal to make myself worthy in their eyes by ruthlessly conquering as much galactic real estate as I can before their inevitable arrival. Of course just being a bug is no guarantee of success. The expansion has also tricked out the political options so you will need to manage your military campaign in sync with your diplomatic efforts or well . . . get squashed.

Attachments
Setup002.jpg
Setup002.jpg (256.66 KiB) Viewed 877 times
Justascratch

Post by Justascratch »

Skipping to the last setup screen you will notice the options on the top right side of the screen allow you to select some, all, or none of the back story options to suit your taste. I’m leaving the original back story off so I can concentrate on the latest menace to universe as we know it.

Attachments
Setup004.jpg
Setup004.jpg (221.95 KiB) Viewed 877 times
Justascratch

Post by Justascratch »

Ta-da the new main interface screen!

Attachments
Setup005.jpg
Setup005.jpg (357.09 KiB) Viewed 879 times
Justascratch

Post by Justascratch »

Let's just run through available tools quickly before we kick the game into gear.

The top left of the screen offers controls that lead back to the main menu and allow you direct access to the Galactopedia. And yes friends the trusty Galactopedia has been fully updated to include all the new stuff.

Also tucked into this corner are the game speed controls that continue to operate as before.

Attachments
MainView1.jpg
MainView1.jpg (26.36 KiB) Viewed 878 times
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

um.... this isn't out yet???  After seeing this here I went looking for it in the store [:D]
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Justascratch

Post by Justascratch »

The left edge of the screen is home to the new Empire Navigation Tool. This handy new panel seems to be in the habit of becoming more useful as your empire expands.
From top to bottom the icons display:
Your Colonies
Space Ports & Construction Yards
Mining Stations
Construction Ships
Exploration Ships
Enemy Targets
Fleets
Military Ships
Potential Colonies
Potential Mining Locations
Potential Research Locations
Potential Resort Locations
Special Locations
You will notice that some of the information has traditionally been available from several different menu screens. It actually took me a little while to break my old habits and rely on this tool for the bulk of information I need to make most decisions.
Of course all the original menus are still available so once again the game offers options to suit different playing styles.

Attachments
MainView2.jpg
MainView2.jpg (20.16 KiB) Viewed 878 times
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: WoodMan
um.... this isn't out yet???  After seeing this here I went looking for it in the store [:D]

This is an authorized AAR from our test team, consider it a nice preview. Thanks, Justascratch! [8D]

I am going to move it out to the main forum for now though, just to give it extra attention.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Justascratch

Post by Justascratch »

In this full screen image you can see how the Navigation Tool, main screen, and selection panel (bottom left) look when seen in concert. However the real power of the Navigation Tool comes into focus as your empire expands and you want quick access to a great deal of information such as when planning to infest (in mean visit) a vulnerable human colony.

Attachments
Setup009.jpg
Setup009.jpg (407.35 KiB) Viewed 879 times
Justascratch

Post by Justascratch »

Of course this is a new game so I don’t have any new colonies, but a take a look at this handy list of my active mining stations.

Attachments
Setup010.jpg
Setup010.jpg (85.72 KiB) Viewed 877 times
Justascratch

Post by Justascratch »

As expected you do get some very handy scroll bars (above and below) as the lists grow. You know you’re cooking when your list of space ports needs a scroll bar!

Attachments
Setup011.jpg
Setup011.jpg (101.43 KiB) Viewed 879 times
Justascratch

Post by Justascratch »

Down in the bottom left corner you will notice the standard selection panel has one or two new features as well. Most of them show up along the bottom row of icons depending on what item is currently active on screen.

Take a look at the little gold hammer.

That’s right my fellow hivers we can now build structures on our colonies! Of course you can’t build it until you research it. You'll find the plans buried in the host of new technologies that have been added to the game.

Attachments
MainView3.jpg
MainView3.jpg (102.05 KiB) Viewed 879 times
Justascratch

Post by Justascratch »

I will now quote from the Galactopedia for the official buzzz on the map tool.

"At bottom-right is the Map. This displays a map of the surrounding area. When zoomed in to a system, it displays the surrounding planets and moons.

When zoomed out to the galaxy it displays the surrounding stars and nebula clouds.

The area displayed in the main view is indicated by the light blue rectangle in the middle of the map. You can change your location in the main view by clicking on the map.

At the left of the map are buttons to select different zoom-levels for the main view."

Attachments
MainView4.jpg
MainView4.jpg (47.38 KiB) Viewed 879 times
Justascratch

Post by Justascratch »

Just a quick correction. It's the little "Green" hammer that let's us build new structures on the planets. These details are important to the brotherhood of micromanagers!

I was hoping to post more this evening, but I need to pick up my daughter who is returning from a school field trip. I promise to continue as soon as I can.
Pipewrench

Post by Pipewrench »

absolutely wonderful,

I was going to purchase GG War in the east but my wallet is waiting for your expansion first. Thanks for the work.....[;)]
“We are limited only by our imagination and our will to act.”
– Ron Garan
Justascratch

Post by Justascratch »

Since this is a new game the map window provides an efficient means to get the lay of the land and establish some strategic goals for the early part of the game.

Clicking on the bottom button brings up the Galaxy Map.

We’re playing in a clustered galaxy and opted to be located close to the edge on the initial setup screens. Looks like we have little to complain about.

Attachments
Setup006.jpg
Setup006.jpg (288.42 KiB) Viewed 879 times
Justascratch

Post by Justascratch »

Very quickly, let’s adjust the view to see how much of the galaxy my fledgling forces have managed to explore.

Notice that I’ve clicked on the Nova UV744 located close to my home planet. You can see that rather than give a general increase to all research, the prime research locations now provide bonus research point to specific areas of research. This certainly changes the strategic value of the individual sites and can alter resource and force deployment decisions as the game moves along.

It’s also nice to know that one of my construction ships is already set to build the proper type of research station at the site. Of course as a micromanager I will be controlling my construction ships in the early stages of the game but for now I think building a research station is a good idea.

Attachments
Setup007.jpg
Setup007.jpg (215.92 KiB) Viewed 879 times
Justascratch

Post by Justascratch »

The next button up from the bottom of the Map Tool brings up the next level of magnification. From this vantage I have determined my early and midterm goals for galactic conquest.

My intent is to quickly swarm over the “local group” - the cluster holding my home planet.

This should provide enough resources to get a lean, mean, money making machine in place to finance my larger plan to simultaneously conquer the group to my left and the group above and to the right.

I’m rolling the dice that I won’t end up in a two front war too early in the game.

Plus it will impress my Queen Bee.

Attachments
Setup008.jpg
Setup008.jpg (309.88 KiB) Viewed 879 times
Justascratch

Post by Justascratch »

And an click on the next button up on the map tool brings up the trusty sector map where I can begin to plan my initial ship deployments. From here I could click the nxt button on the map tool to zoom into my system view. But one of the unsung improvements in this expansion is some excellent adjustments to the zoom in feature for those of us using a mouse with a wheel. No more jumping in for a super close up with just a light touch on the wheel! Now the wheel zooms in nice and smooth.

Attachments
Setup008a.jpg
Setup008a.jpg (230.7 KiB) Viewed 879 times
Simulation01

Post by Simulation01 »

"plus it will impress my Queen Bee."

I love that!!!  I'm also loving that cluster map!!
"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”