Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to defeat a World destroyer

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> How to defeat a World destroyer Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to defeat a World destroyer - 12/9/2010 5:35:40 PM   
Merker

Just what the title says: has anyone met with the situation when the AI got its grubby paws/hands/appendages/claws/tentacles on a WD, and then went to war with you, with similar military strength so far. Any tactics to beating one? In the late game with super tech you can easily build a capital ship of similar power but in the early to mid game I don't think there are empires with enough firepower to match a WD.

I haven't played a game so far in which the AI found the thing before me. Most of the times nobody finds it at all, at least not early enough to make a difference...

Any insight on your experiences?

Cheers

< Message edited by Merker -- 12/9/2010 5:36:09 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 12/9/2010 6:25:45 PM   
Kadrush

Supposing that you have a long range sensor network...play elastic defense...keep several small fleets close to each other, when their fleets show up reinforce the attacked sector. Your bigger ships should have a hyper deny, that way when the WD show up intercept it, it might destroy 1 planet, but your hyper deny will keep him from escaping allowing you to destroy it.

(in reply to Merker)
Post #: 2
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 12/9/2010 6:32:09 PM   
Merker

Has this happened to anyone?

(in reply to Kadrush)
Post #: 3
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 1/8/2011 6:56:44 AM   
James009

... unfortunately, my military intelligence indicates that a Free Trading Guild World Destroyer is inbound to Earth... I'm kinda dreading loading the savegame as he's already destroyed two outer rim planets and one defense fleet. Frankly, I don't know how to stop them.

Can I evacuate my planet, lol?

(in reply to Merker)
Post #: 4
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 1/8/2011 6:15:05 PM   
elanaahova

My current game, the red colored empire has constructors repairing a world destroyer. i have only one colony. (all three independent human colonies killed my colonizers. i have a good rep! LOL I'll probably drop that game and start again.

(in reply to James009)
Post #: 5
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 1/8/2011 7:41:05 PM   
Erik Rutins

Gravity Wells are great for giving you the time to destroy the World Destroyer before it wipes out your planet. You also really need to have at the very least Cruisers and ideally Capital Ships to stand a real change.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to elanaahova)
Post #: 6
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 1/8/2011 10:32:22 PM   
James009

Gravity Wells, you say? This must be an advanced technology that I don't yet aquire.

Once I was informed that the World Destroyer "Devastator Moon" was heading to my home planet (from across the galaxy where it had been on a galactic killing spree) I did a blitz attack and captured the enemy's homeworld giving me command and control over the weapon just as it started to go through my outer rim systems. After some lengthy debate my scientists had it disassembled. We had a victory but at the great cost of a couple foreign empires and two major colonies, no more will that weapon threaten my galaxy.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 7
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 1/10/2011 12:57:51 PM   
sbach2o

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Gravity Wells are great for giving you the time to destroy the World Destroyer before it wipes out your planet. You also really need to have at the very least Cruisers and ideally Capital Ships to stand a real change.

Regards,

- Erik

It should mostly be a matter of combined firepower, so numbers should also be able to do the trick.

If your designs mix long and short range weaponry, make sure that most of your ships in the battle have their engagement strategy set to 'point blank' for both superior and inferior enemies. It could pay to use this strategy, regardless. You want to bring as much firepower to bear as possible.

And yes, Gravity wells are very advanced. Should be available when the expansion story line comes to its culmination. Against the repaired world destroyers in an early/mid game stage all bets are off. Note, that these have the highest rated armor in the game with a 10 point reactive rating which, if I am not mistaken, means that you need more than that much damage for any hit to do penetrate so long as any armor is left. Another good reason to have every ship of yours go to point blank.

< Message edited by sbach2o -- 1/10/2011 1:00:38 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 8
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 1/10/2011 1:04:29 PM   
sbach2o

quote:

ORIGINAL: elanaahova

My current game, the red colored empire has constructors repairing a world destroyer. i have only one colony. (all three independent human colonies killed my colonizers. i have a good rep! LOL I'll probably drop that game and start again.

Send a fleet of yours swatting next to the rival constructors once the repair of the World Destroyer is nearing completion. Chances are your warship crews will board the ship ahead of your rivals once its systems are powering up ;)

Edit: Actually I find this strategy too close to cheating for comfort.

(in reply to elanaahova)
Post #: 9
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 1/10/2011 1:27:10 PM   
Data

i think it's WAD....mere engineers cannot lay claim in the face of superior firepower but I don't use it either
actually you don't need a fleet, just to have the closest military ship to the WD should do the trick

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to sbach2o)
Post #: 10
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 1/11/2011 4:26:59 AM   
elanaahova

Sobach2, thank you... It looks like stated: ownership of a almost repaired found wrecked-ship goes to the empire with the largest / strongest /closest military ships to the newly repaired space wreck, and the ownership of the actual repairing (constructor) ships is much less important?

Why doesn't the manual tell us these things? I glad you did!

(in reply to sbach2o)
Post #: 11
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 1/11/2011 6:52:39 AM   
James009

That explains the armada next to the one I just saw. Seems the AI knows this too!

(in reply to elanaahova)
Post #: 12
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 1/11/2011 1:27:28 PM   
adecoy95

i have never had a world destroyer built against me, most of the time, when i see the ai repairing it, i will take the rep hit, fire on the constructor, and then put my own there

(in reply to James009)
Post #: 13
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 1/12/2011 10:38:35 PM   
Tree Dog

Huum, guys, quick question, is it easier to destroy one that isn't completely repaired yet ? And even then, how much is needed ?

Also, do constructors need supplies to repair ships ? I had a constructor near one, chased my enemy's with a few salvos from a warship, but my constructor just left the area instead of repairing...

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 14
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 1/13/2011 1:54:05 AM   
elanaahova

Don't know if constructors can repair with no supplies. Do you mean fuel, or materials?
Mine seem to repair as long as they are on the ship base needing repairs.

Easier to destroy before the world killer is repaired. Well, yes. As long as it has 'abandoned' status, it doesn't fire back!

(in reply to Tree Dog)
Post #: 15
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 1/13/2011 6:40:30 AM   
Data

if the weapons on that thing were ok and the reactors up i think it would fire back, no matter how damaged the rest of it was
i've also seen constructors repair with nothing in their cargo but they are also constantly supplied by freighters...more so when repairing world destroyers

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to elanaahova)
Post #: 16
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 1/13/2011 2:39:35 PM   
elanaahova

In the last war, (eons ago) the central worlds were ordered to evacuate their core planets. But that technology does not seem to be available to current game civs.

(in reply to James009)
Post #: 17
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 1/13/2011 2:44:52 PM   
elanaahova

I'm referring to 'wrecks' like the world destroyer 'wreck.' I don't think they - abandoned wrecks- fire back...

However, as you suggest, one wreck, partially repaired... just might bite back...

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 18
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 1/26/2011 1:26:01 AM   
tofudog

If you spot the WD being repaired and are not in a position to grab it yourself, you can deny it to your enemy with a well aimed spying mission.
Choose <sabotage construction><constructor ship name> and give your spy a generous micronuke on his way.
At least that´s what worked for me.
I never saw an explosion with such mixed emotions before.

(in reply to elanaahova)
Post #: 19
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 1/26/2011 7:13:33 AM   
Data

tofudog, from the way you write i sense you might have some aar material in you....interested? i'd like to see an aar with your gameplay, if you have the time or inclination

(in reply to tofudog)
Post #: 20
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 1/26/2011 8:40:33 PM   
tofudog

Thanks Data, that sounds like praise - I will keep that in mind in my next game.
Can be a while though.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 21
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 1/26/2011 9:21:12 PM   
elanaahova

In my current game, the bugs were nowhere (play in a small galaxy - 100 stars) so, when I found the world destroyer, I blasted it right from under the CB. I used one once, in an earlier game, just because i could, and everyone hated me....

(in reply to tofudog)
Post #: 22
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 5/1/2011 9:29:05 PM   
torrenal

Unless it's been "fixed", the World Destroyer has an energy shortage when it starts using its beam weapons.  Get in close, in large numbers, and with thick shields.  After the frst several seconds it's rate of fire will drop significantly.  Dunno if you can bait it into wasting it's planet-kill shot short of a planet, an all-up defence (LSP + 4 defensive bases) can do a world of hurt on the World Destroyer.    You might try planting that at a gas giant.... I don't think the destroyer can kill those, and if they are sufficiently close to a planet it attacks, it may sucker the destroyer into a fight.  I do know when I've seen an opponent with the world destoryer running around, I make real certain to stay on their good-side, so as to make the destroyer someone else's problem

//Torrenal

(in reply to elanaahova)
Post #: 23
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 5/1/2011 11:44:09 PM   
cookie monster

I would say the most important thing is to have a long range scanner pick up the incoming World Destroyer.

Then you can place a fleet at the location. Your fleet should be able to take him down as long as you have powerful home fleets.

On a large map there are two debris locations. The ''Desolation Moon Project'' & the ''World Destroyer Project''.

Sometimes the AI can grab one first. I have seen the AI use a World Destoryer, but all the AI's hated each other so the rep hit made no difference, and why would it when they all had a max diabolical reputation.

(in reply to torrenal)
Post #: 24
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 5/2/2011 5:18:12 AM   
Data

On the lartgest maps there are three WD projects afaik.
If I'm correct there's still one unaccounted for in your game cookie

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 25
RE: How to defeat a World destroyer - 5/4/2011 6:35:51 PM   
Merker

I now know the best way to defeat a world destroyer!!!!!!!! Just get your hands on another WD and send it against the AI one. If you catch them by surprise you might just take it out in 2 hits(the WD is tough enough to survive the destruction of a planet) one for the planet and one for itself. Anyway any other ships caught in the battle are officially doomed.

Yay for WD showdown!!!!

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> How to defeat a World destroyer Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI