Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Using "Low Carnage" Settings for Pacific Battles

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Using "Low Carnage" Settings for Pacific Battles Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Using "Low Carnage" Settings for Pacific Battles - 12/2/2010 12:06:18 AM   
KG Erwin

I recently was rereading Larry Holt's SPWaW Guide, and one phrase from Paul Vebber struck me. He was quoted in the segment about "Jungle Fighting" as saying he believed that Inf Toughness in Pacific battles should be set at 150. That got me thinking about the "Low Carnage" settings, so I'm gonna use them, with the exception that Command & Control will be set OFF, and I will leave Auto Rally ON. I also started thinking about separate settings for the USMC and the Japanese, but I decided to make them the same.

Given that I play against the AI, the Artillery vs Soft Target setting of 180% seems excessive, but the AI's usage of artillery is one thing it's good at, so I'll leave it. I was also influenced by reading Eugene Sledge's "With the Old Breed", in which Professor Sledge stated that the thing he feared the most was being caught in an artillery barrage.

Using these settings in a 1942-45 Long Campaign should be interesting, as the USMC has obvious advantages, but the war's character changes in late 1943. The AI will switch to primarily defensive missions, as I begin the amphibious landing phase.

Another thing that I do is NOT use mines. For the Pacific, that's not so strange, as mines were seldom used by the Japanese anyway. Instead, they chose to dig in and build extensive fortifications from late 1943 onwards. So, instead of minefields, they can spend more points on fortifying caves and building bunkers. It gets to the point that I cannot afford to simply bypass these fixed defenses, as they dot the landscape.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 12/2/2010 12:09:02 AM >
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Using "Low Carnage" Settings for Pacific Battles Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI