Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What boardgame is most like the Airborne Assault games?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> What boardgame is most like the Airborne Assault games? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What boardgame is most like the Airborne Assault games? - 11/29/2010 1:23:27 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

Here's my vote:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2072/panzer-command

The game was a PITA to play, but they were trying to do a lot of things that AA does, like "command-and-control."

Of course, it didn't come with a map or scenario editor!

Government is the opiate of the masses.
Post #: 1
RE: What boardgame is most like the Airborne Assault ga... - 11/29/2010 4:51:57 PM   
final_drive

PoE,

Do you know the Tactical Combat Series (TCS) by The Gamers (now published by MMP)?

Units are modeled one echelon lower than in the Command Ops Series. E.g. Infantry units are platoons, or MG/mortar squads; armour can be either platoons or individual tanks depending on the game title. However, the series has a command system including order delays.

So I sometimes wonder whether Dave played this series in the past and whether it formed an inspiration to him. He sure had already developed Trial of Strength long before I knew what a wargame was.

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 2
RE: What boardgame is most like the Airborne Assault ga... - 11/29/2010 4:52:58 PM   
Capt Cliff

There was an old board game called Hells Highway, not Highway to the Riech the monster game. It was playable but it is a IgoUgo system, which all board games are.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2077/hells-highway

< Message edited by Capt Cliff -- 11/29/2010 4:56:29 PM >

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 3
RE: What boardgame is most like the Airborne Assault ga... - 11/29/2010 5:47:53 PM   
simovitch

quote:

ORIGINAL: final_drive

PoE,

Do you know the Tactical Combat Series (TCS) by The Gamers (now published by MMP)?

Good lord I still have "Bloody 110" lying around somewhere. I could never wrap my head around what Dean Essig was trying to get me to do with the planning maps and phase lines...

I remember playing Panzer Command with the initiative chits and all, it was quite a novel concept for the time. Funny, but I believe IF Panther were to do the East Front I believe the battles of the Chir River is the currently selected locale...

Hells Highway was another interesting concept, but I only remember laying out the map and wondering about how to go about it. I don't think I ever got around to playing it many many years ago. Capt Cliff - is ASL considered IgoUgo?

simovitch

(in reply to final_drive)
Post #: 4
RE: What boardgame is most like the Airborne Assault ga... - 11/29/2010 7:14:04 PM   
final_drive

quote:

Good lord I still have "Bloody 110" lying around somewhere. I could never wrap my head around what Dean Essig was trying to get me to do with the planning maps and phase lines...

I got it too. Bought it on ebay a couple of years ago. Lacking space, time and opponent (and not going on VASSAL), so never played it yet, but it looks like it could be very interesting. Love the map too. The rules are currently in version 4.0 and new releases are still being worked on.

If we're looking for similarities in both the setting and the game mechanics, does anybody know the quite recent 'The Devil's Cauldron' by MMP? It's about Market Garden, and is in grand tactical scale - units are companies -, so a similar scale to Command Ops.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 5
RE: What boardgame is most like the Airborne Assault ga... - 11/29/2010 7:24:36 PM   
wodin

D Day Omaha Beach...solo game at company level...and a fantastic one at that...I play it over most PC games.

(in reply to final_drive)
Post #: 6
RE: What boardgame is most like the Airborne Assault ga... - 11/30/2010 1:54:26 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

Hmm, those are some good examples Wodin and Capt Cliff.

Thinking in terms of WEGO, the best that you can do without a computer to move the pieces around simultaneously, this one comes to mind:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5058/operation-crusader

Movement of all those companies and battalions is "charted" in this Crusader game, and there's an immense amount of attention paid to supply.

It also had rules for minefields and even tank breakdowns.

Then again, the C&C elements attendant to the AA games are pretty much AWOL.

And darned if it's not hard as heck to play!

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> What boardgame is most like the Airborne Assault games? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI