Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Japanese BB -> BBCV conversion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Japanese BB -> BBCV conversion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Japanese BB -> BBCV conversion - 11/21/2010 11:41:09 PM   
rader

Hmm, it dosen't seem worth it to me to convert the Japanese BBs (Ise, Hyuga) to carry lots of aircraft... unless of course they can carry carrier planes and not just floatplanes... but I think it's just floatplanes, right? Not sure it's worth losing these ships for half a year just when I'll need them. Any dissenting opinions?
Post #: 1
RE: Japanese BB -> BBCV conversion - 11/21/2010 11:57:28 PM   
cap_and_gown

No dissent here. Personally, I think the flight deck on the back makes them look ugly. I always go for the prettier tank/plane/ship on the assumption that form follows function.

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 2
RE: Japanese BB -> BBCV conversion - 11/22/2010 12:23:13 AM   
Shark7

If I am thinking right, in stock you don't get a choice, other than to leave it in a under-armed 1942 configuration. Ise and Hyuga went from old but usefull BBs to worthless Frankenstien monsters with those ridiculous flight decks on the back.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to cap_and_gown)
Post #: 3
RE: Japanese BB -> BBCV conversion - 11/22/2010 12:28:40 AM   
cap_and_gown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

If I am thinking right, in stock you don't get a choice, other than to leave it in a under-armed 1942 configuration. Ise and Hyuga went from old but usefull BBs to worthless Frankenstien monsters with those ridiculous flight decks on the back.

This is not quite right. You can upgrade them on 9/43 so they get surface search radar and extra AAA. After that, you need to turn off the upgrade option or else they become some of the most ugly ships of WWII.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 4
RE: Japanese BB -> BBCV conversion - 11/22/2010 1:50:53 AM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

This is not quite right. You can upgrade them on 9/43 so they get surface search radar and extra AAA. After that, you need to turn off the upgrade option or else they become some of the most ugly ships of WWII.

They are not bad looking before the conversion if you think the pagoda look is attractive. I, for one, love the pagoda look

Art comforts the disturbed and disturbs the comfortable.

(in reply to cap_and_gown)
Post #: 5
RE: Japanese BB -> BBCV conversion - 11/22/2010 2:28:16 AM   
Q-Ball

Don't bother with this conversion.

They were a ridiculous idea. the flightdeck is well "armored"; it's 8 inches of concrete, to compensate for the lost weight of the removed turrets.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 6
RE: Japanese BB -> BBCV conversion - 11/22/2010 3:49:29 AM   
rader

I probably won't bother, but it does look like the conversions get really nice AAA armament in the latest 1944 conversions... still mostly 25mm though which does kind of suck. Are AA rockets any good? I doubt it.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 7
RE: Japanese BB -> BBCV conversion - 11/22/2010 5:11:04 AM   
Terminus

Waste of time and resources. Don't do it.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 8
RE: Japanese BB -> BBCV conversion - 11/22/2010 6:25:46 AM   
CV Zuikaku

Anyone tried those ships? Can they be used as BBs in STFs after conversion?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 9
RE: Japanese BB -> BBCV conversion - 11/22/2010 7:56:10 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: CV Zuikaku

in WITP they worked just fine so I asume the same is true for AE. You are missing a couple of guns though.

(in reply to CV Zuikaku)
Post #: 10
RE: Japanese BB -> BBCV conversion - 11/22/2010 3:24:32 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Waste of time and resources. Don't do it.

Not to mention, if they had gone into 1943 with KB intact, the IJN would never have even considered converting them. These Frankenstien's were the result of the Midway disaster...honestly this part of the game should be left up to the player...make the BBCV conversion an option, with an option to leave them in standard BB configuration. (Read: a standard BB conversion option with an upgrade path for it). That way if you get Midway'ed, you can use the BBCV, but it not you can leave them as BBs.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 11
RE: Japanese BB -> BBCV conversion - 11/22/2010 3:26:33 PM   
Shark7

quote:

67% of the firepower they have pre-conversion...and as Terminus points out, a complete waste of time and resources. You spend 6 months plus converting them, at a time when they could still be employed successfully as BBs. By the time the conversions are done, the war is in a hopeless state and they will do exactly what they did in the real war...a whole lot of nothing.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to CV Zuikaku)
Post #: 12
RE: Japanese BB -> BBCV conversion - 11/23/2010 7:35:35 PM   
Schanilec

It's probably just me. I think they looked cool. Them and the Mogami. With the hybrid conversion wasn't the intent to spare carrier aircraft from searches and increase the airstrike capabilities of the carrier group. The Chikuma and Tone were used with the KB for thier search capabilities. I don't know if this holds true in AE. I also don't know, are the Hyuga and Ise fast enough to keep pace with a carrier group? If not, then I also would not make the conversion. I have only played allies thus far. When I finish my current scenario I'm going to take a crack at playing the Japanese.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 13
RE: Japanese BB -> BBCV conversion - 11/23/2010 8:05:35 PM   
crsutton

The game really allows for a lot more surface combat than actually took place. That, is surface combat can be more of an deciding issue than it really should be. For this reason (speaking as and AFB) I would not do anything to take power away from my BBs and I would build both of the Yamato class ships.

A bigger question for me is the issue of Allied old BBs. They offer up some nice conversions with excellent AA upgrades but have to spend at least 120 days in the yard to do so. At a time when there never seems to be enough of them anyways. What is the correct call?

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 14
RE: Japanese BB -> BBCV conversion - 11/23/2010 9:20:39 PM   
Puhis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec
I also don't know, are the Hyuga and Ise fast enough to keep pace with a carrier group? If not, then I also would not make the conversion.

Well, those BBCVs can keep pace with Junyo and Hiyo. 25 kts that is...

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 15
RE: Japanese BB -> BBCV conversion - 11/23/2010 10:22:22 PM   
Schanilec

Forgot about Junyo and Hiyo.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 16
RE: Japanese BB -> BBCV conversion - 11/24/2010 4:17:10 AM   
Shark7

Still Junyo/Hiyo are real carriers, not some half baked frankenstien monster.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 17
RE: Japanese BB -> BBCV conversion - 11/24/2010 9:14:52 PM   
Puhis

I always keep 1-2 slow BBs with Junyo and Hiyo. Battleships are best way to protect carriers, because BBs are true bomber magnets. They will divert bombers away from those precious flight decks...

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 18
RE: Japanese BB -> BBCV conversion - 11/24/2010 11:35:19 PM   
Misconduct

quote:

ORIGINAL: Puhis

I always keep 1-2 slow BBs with Junyo and Hiyo. Battleships are best way to protect carriers, because BBs are true bomber magnets. They will divert bombers away from those precious flight decks...

Yeah amazing, its one thing to completely misidentify a "tanker" for a carrier, but how does a squadron of dive bombers all go for a battleship and not a carrier?

Understandable the Carrier could not of been sighted, but it seems quite often the battleships get picked out more then carriers.

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 19
RE: Japanese BB -> BBCV conversion - 11/24/2010 11:38:44 PM   
Misconduct

quote:

quote:

Curious question, has anyone actually converted the BB's to BBCL's? Just curious to know if you can operate carriers or is the aircraft carried a one way trip - I "think" they can't land on the BB once launched, and required to land at a CVL or CV.

Just curious if you did in fact convert the ships, can you fly sorties or is it a one way trip.

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 20
RE: Japanese BB -> BBCV conversion - 11/24/2010 11:45:15 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Misconduct

quote:

quote:

Curious question, has anyone actually converted the BB's to BBCL's? Just curious to know if you can operate carriers or is the aircraft carried a one way trip - I "think" they can't land on the BB once launched, and required to land at a CVL or CV.

Just curious if you did in fact convert the ships, can you fly sorties or is it a one way trip.

They are not carriers, even with the rediculous little flight decks. They operate floatplanes...like the N1K Kyofu and the M6A Seiran. Just thing of them as Tone and Chikuma on steroids...becuase that is exactly what they are.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Japanese BB -> BBCV conversion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI