Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Allied Aircraft Production

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Allied Aircraft Production Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Allied Aircraft Production - 10/18/2010 3:03:45 PM   
SireChaos

Hi everyone,

my apologies if this has been covered before, but... what about changing Allied aircraft production and upgrade paths so that aircraft are (mostly) produced at bases on the map (including the Allied off-map bases), rather than by the replacement rate?

So, for example, the F4F-3 and F4F-3A are both set to upgrade to the F4F-4, and when the F4F-4 becomes available, the F4F-3 and F4F-3A factories switch to the F4F-4. These two factories, plus the one that is set to produce F4F-4 from the start, would then switch to producing the F6F-3 when that becomes available, which then is replaced by the F6F-5 and so on.

That way, production would be switched from obsolete to current models, rather than filling the pool with older models that are already being replaced. To a large degree, this would also make production end dates obsolete.
Post #: 1
RE: Allied Aircraft Production - 10/18/2010 8:52:14 PM   
topeverest

Can be done to a reasonable degree if you crack the editor to the limitations of the code.  Keep in mind allied air production is fixed historical (as close as can be modelled).  Empire production is variable.  That is a fundamental difference and fundamentally different aspect of the game that was purposely designed in.  The allies dont really need more toys in the common view, and fixed reinforcements is one good way to ensure that.  There are other reasons to be sure, but there it is.

Andy M

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 2
RE: Allied Aircraft Production - 10/18/2010 11:11:40 PM   
Smeulders

quote:

ORIGINAL: SireChaos

Hi everyone,

my apologies if this has been covered before, but... what about changing Allied aircraft production and upgrade paths so that aircraft are (mostly) produced at bases on the map (including the Allied off-map bases), rather than by the replacement rate?

So, for example, the F4F-3 and F4F-3A are both set to upgrade to the F4F-4, and when the F4F-4 becomes available, the F4F-3 and F4F-3A factories switch to the F4F-4. These two factories, plus the one that is set to produce F4F-4 from the start, would then switch to producing the F6F-3 when that becomes available, which then is replaced by the F6F-5 and so on.

That way, production would be switched from obsolete to current models, rather than filling the pool with older models that are already being replaced. To a large degree, this would also make production end dates obsolete.

What is the great difference between just using end dates for the aircraft models ?

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 3
RE: Allied Aircraft Production - 10/19/2010 1:13:08 AM   
Bradley7735

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smeulders

quote:

Hi everyone,

What is the great difference between just using end dates for the aircraft models ?

One, relatively small, difference is that factories can take up to a couple of weeks to upgrade. So, if you're planning on starting production on the 1st, you may have to wait a bit.

Another issue, largely or completely taken into account via existing factories, is that Japan could bomb/damage factories within reach of it's aircraft.

Also, production doesn't alwasy ramp up, or increase, as models are coming online. So, F4F-3 production plus F4F-4 production might be more than what F4F-6 production actually was. (as an example)

I've tried to add factories to cover all production, but it's impossible. Some aircraft have time between models where neither are produced. Some lines are difficult to tell what aircraft they upgrade to. A lot of models actually decrease in production when you add up all the previous line production numbers. Allies start to gain more and more paths of aircraft, and you need to be Tim Tom to fully know the correct factory changes.

Basically, I think it would be impossible to make full factory production for PBEM games. But, vs the AI, you can do anything you want.

for those of us who are too anal, it's a great theory. But, I can't see how it would be accurate in practice.

The older I get, the better I was.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 4
RE: Allied Aircraft Production - 10/19/2010 7:51:59 AM   
Smeulders

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bradley7735

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smeulders

quote:

Hi everyone,

One, relatively small, difference is that factories can take up to a couple of weeks to upgrade. So, if you're planning on starting production on the 1st, you may have to wait a bit.

Another issue, largely or completely taken into account via existing factories, is that Japan could bomb/damage factories within reach of it's aircraft.

Also, production doesn't alwasy ramp up, or increase, as models are coming online. So, F4F-3 production plus F4F-4 production might be more than what F4F-6 production actually was. (as an example)

I've tried to add factories to cover all production, but it's impossible. Some aircraft have time between models where neither are produced. Some lines are difficult to tell what aircraft they upgrade to. A lot of models actually decrease in production when you add up all the previous line production numbers. Allies start to gain more and more paths of aircraft, and you need to be Tim Tom to fully know the correct factory changes.

Basically, I think it would be impossible to make full factory production for PBEM games. But, vs the AI, you can do anything you want.

for those of us who are too anal, it's a great theory. But, I can't see how it would be accurate in practice.

Interesting, didn't know about the upgrade delay that factories can have. Of course the chance to get the factories bombed is there, but from the OP I gathered that wasn't actually one of the goals, the goal is to not to have old planes fill up their pools after they become obselete, which doesn't happen anyway AFAIK.

(in reply to Bradley7735)
Post #: 5
RE: Allied Aircraft Production - 10/21/2010 9:12:02 AM   
afspret

The one thing I liked about the old Koei game PTO 4 (PS2), was the option to scrap obsolete a/c and get resource points (or something like that) based on the # of a/c scrapped. Is there any way such a feature could be added here?

As for earning points, I'm thinking 1 PP for each individual a/c scrapped up to 100-150, so you don't have a situation where a players getting more PP for scrapping a/c than he would normally earn per turn. Also, put in place a rule where a player can only scrap 1 type of a/c, regardless of number, every 7 turns, so as not to circumvent the points earned rule.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Allied Aircraft Production Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI