Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unnatural aging of jocks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Titans of Steel - Warring Suns >> Unnatural aging of jocks Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unnatural aging of jocks - 8/16/2002 9:39:45 PM   
Bernd Hesberg

I've spent some time investigating this matter. It's common knowledge that each battle counts for one month in terms of money. And I've thought a long time that this applies to the jocks aging as well. Now, after being triggered by an earlier post to take a closer look, and after some short-sighted first conclusions, this is what I've found out.
The size of the team and the jocks position (being first/second/third member and so on) are used in a formula that reads like this

aging = team size - position + 1 [month / battle]

This doesn't seem quite right, if you ask me. And although we can't expect any update to the ToS freeware, it might be prudent checking this part for ToS:WS.

Larkin, when you read this and can confirm it as minor nuisance (I wouldn't say 'bug'), you might consider giving me a go for a small stand-alone team file patch.
Post #: 1
- 8/17/2002 3:30:41 AM   
LarkinVB

Will check the code. Of course the formula you did find is not what I wanted to be. And of course you are allowed to code any kind of fix for ToS. Its freeware and you are free to modify.

(in reply to Bernd Hesberg)
Post #: 2
- 8/17/2002 5:44:57 AM   
Bernd Hesberg

Ok, that's all I need at the moment. I'll code a small tool prog, which can be used on any team file. It will only check the age of all the jocks and modify these values if necessary. That means, applying it several times on the same file will be useless as long as no new battle has been fought.

Before I forget, I don't see this as a cheat, and I don't even think about coding a cheat program!

Post #: 3
- 8/17/2002 1:14:50 PM   
Korgmeister

Considering that you can make tournament teams with as much money and skill as you like, I think a cheat program for the HQ module would be rather unnescessary.

Korgmeister - Mad scientist of pessimistic ToS design and unluckiest ToS player in history.

Please note that all comments that any weapon, design, tactic etc are better are: FROM AN ENTIRELY SUBJECTIVE POINT OF VIEW and should be recieved in such light

Post #: 4
- 8/19/2002 6:20:14 AM   
Bernd Hesberg

I'd say it's a bad habit to try to simplify problems before they are solved. I sometimes accuse my customers of doing so (of course, only when I'm alone :)). And every now and then I realize that I've fallen prey to this same habit.

So, after further playtesting, and actually after programming that tool I talked about, here's my correction. The main difference is that, it doesn't depend on the team size or the jock's position in one of the files, but exclusively on the team size and sequence of jocks during the battle.
You may have fought battles, where not all jocks have been involved. And during game setup you may alter the sequence of jocks at will. All this can't be verified afterwards.
Now, when considering the planned use of that prog, and thinking of all the restrictions that must be made, I'd say we should rather forget about it. My sincerest apologies to all who wanted to use it.

But then, there's another brew fresh from my cauldron, the second edition of my excel sheet for jock management.
To all those who don't know it: You need MS Excel (~97 or newer) and shouldn't disable macros. No, there's no virus!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5
- 8/27/2002 3:08:21 AM   
Bernd Hesberg

Just three downloads? Perhaps I should have found a better hideout for this. ;)
Ok, so there are only few people who could have stumbled across the bug I've discovered recently. As a workaround for the sheet 'Titans' it would be sufficient to clear the contents of cell K481 and insert a new line of cells before row 482. Of course, all row numbers are only valid for the original download.

Maybe there's a chance that the older version (which is available via the ToS home page) could be replaced by this update.
Larkin, which of your email addresses would you like me to send it to?

Post #: 6
- 8/27/2002 3:04:58 PM   
LarkinVB

Send it to [email]larkin@viciousbyte.de[/email]

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Titans of Steel - Warring Suns >> Unnatural aging of jocks Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI