Lets start to do this thing like pizza, slice by slice. This is going to be according to my playstyle, so you just have to bear with me.
I usually start giving orders at Pearl Harbor (since game screen centers there):
- set all 4E bombers (B-17) to Training 100% Naval Search or ASW (since this is what you are going to use them mostly in early war, forget about Naval Attack right now)
- set Patrol planes to either Naval Search or ASW (I use alt 6k for Search, 1k for ASW), 50%, remember to reduce range to Normal range, for example 20 -> 16 with PBY-5. This is to reduce Ops losses that can easily decimate your plane pools. Patrol planes are your friend in early game and you can never have enough. Do same with Patrol planes in Midway, Johnston I. and Palmyra.
- set 2E bombers, A-20 or B-18 to Training 100%, either Naval Search or ASW.
- set Fighters to 50% CAP Escort, 15 000 ft (main altitude for Allied fighters, it'll take a while to get planes that do better higher, mainly Hurricane IIc and P-40K. Since we are playing 2-day turns, you need to have some fighters up in case IJN Kido Butai (KB, Mobile Strike Force, IJN main carrier force) decides to stick around for extra days.
- set your docked SS (submarines) to "Patrol around target" of your chosen locations, I chose, Truk, Marianas, Midway, South coast of Japan & Wake. Even with Mk14 torpedo having 80% dud rate until 1/43, you do get lucky now and then. Do same to SS TFs east of PH, "Set patrol zone - patrol around target - reaction range 1. Try not to set patrol zone too close to coast, since subs are vulnerable in shallows. If feeling for more control, you can set patrol zones manually. Do the same to various SS TFs that are at sea already around the area.
- now, the most important units you have around PH, your carriers. Set your carrier planes for example as follows: Fighters 50% CAP Escort, 15k alt., Dive Bombers Naval attack, 20% Search, 13k alt. Set your Torpedo bombers with Naval attack, 13k alt.
Set 2 CV TFs to close Wake I, select suitable spot withing Torpedo Bomber normal range from Wake I. and set "Remain in Position". We can cheat a bit, since as Supreme Allied Commander, Pacific (SACPAC), you do have good grasp of enemy intentions, don't you? Note that you have Marine DB unit aboard CV Lexington, transfer it to Wake I. with same settings as above. Also set Marine F4F unit in Wake as above.
- you have TF near Johnston I., one CA and 5 DMS. Sent it somewhere, anywhere, but not to PH. If KB sticks around, they will be sunk plus waters around PH are infested with IJN subs. In this game, I sent them to Palmyra for now.
In addition, set PH to expand Port, you are going to need the size 8 port as soon as possible, so can actually set it now.
This is about it for Central Pacific for first 2 days. And you don't even have to do all this right now, you can just set Patrols and CAP fighters.
Now, there are only India, Burma, Malaya, China, Philippines, DEI, Australia, West Coast and rest of Pacific left to set up...
< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 9/2/2010 6:54:23 PM >
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-