Not sure exactly what happened there however this may help:
- You can make designs obsolete quickly by clicking on the right most column (this will toggle the red star, which indicates the design is obsolete).
- When you save designs, you save designs you created from scratch, default designs, obsolete designs, *everything*, so keep that in mind.
- You can select multiple designs by holding the left mouse button and mousing over several entry, or using the 'ctrl' & 'shift' keys, same as regular windows lists.
- Everytime a design is upgraded, the game makes the design obsolete and creates a new one with the latest components. If you "show all designs", you will see them all. However, the game normally add a "Mk1" "Mk2" suffix to newer designs.
- Loading designs can be messy business. I *think* the game adds all designs in the file to those you have already unless they are indentical. I note the two "SSP-1" spaceports are not identical in your screenshot (different size etc), I expect the reason you ended up with several "SSP-1" ports is that you loaded designs from another session.
- You will run into problems if you load designs that are too advanced to build (too big, components you don't have with your current tech level).
If you want to make your own set of ships for future games, I would suggest to only design ships with the most basic components available (uncheck "only show latest components"), no 'enhanced' nothing. Otherwise the next game you start, you might not actually be able to build them. Bear in mind that even if you start a game with basic tech level and no special tech from your race, you will already have some of the 'enhanced' techs available (I think you get a number of research points assigned randomly at the beginning of each game). If you don't want to see obsolete AI designs, delete them prior to saving (might only be able to delete designs that have no active ships of that type however).
When you start a new game, mark the designs you are not going to use obsolete, and load your owns.
A problem here is that means you cannot make a set of ships with components such as torpedos, shock waves, counter measures, bombarding, or targetting components, as they are not or may not be available at the start. You will have to add them as they become available. I haven't tested that stuff thoroughly mind you, maybe you can "upgrade" your loaded designs, and the game will strip components you can't use and downgrade what's too advanced, I don't know.
Edit: Also a probable reason the "latest design" list was almost empty is that what were the latest designs were made obsolete, slight bug here I assume.
< Message edited by Equendil -- 8/29/2010 10:30:03 PM >