Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Development points

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Titans of Steel - Warring Suns >> Development points Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Development points - 8/9/2002 9:56:46 PM   
Hardcore

Quick question...

How does the game engine decide how many development points each jock receives following a battle?

More specifically is the number of development points received proportional to the quality of the AI opponent, i.e. if a rookie jock beats a green jock would he receive more development points than he would in beating another rookie jock?

TIA

--Hardcore--
Post #: 1
- 8/9/2002 11:45:54 PM   
CrushU

I dont know specific numbers, but you get MXP, CXP, and OXP from performing/succeeding at skill checks under those skills. Im not sure if it matters what enemy jocks are... though a harder jock would take longer to defeat and give you more opportunities for skill checks. (unless you get a lucky shot and rip his head off right off the bat)

(in reply to Hardcore)
Post #: 2
- 8/10/2002 3:37:50 AM   
LarkinVB

You are right. Skill checks give xps, xp/15 are dev points.
It doesn't matter how good your opponent is.

A good one will give you more move xps though as you are hit more often. Same goes gor other xps gather due to healing.

Opposition will effect money rewarded.

(in reply to Hardcore)
Post #: 3
- 8/10/2002 7:13:13 AM   
CrushU

*smiles broadly*

lookie! mod told me i was right!! me so happy i read manual :)

(in reply to Hardcore)
Post #: 4
TA! - 8/16/2002 5:24:02 PM   
Hardcore

Cheers for the help. I did find the gaining of experience by performing skill checks mentioned buried away in the FAQ section of the manual after all. It wasn't exactly shouted about though!

ToS is one of those funny games you really learn as you go along. I remember when I found a recommendation for ToS online. The reviewer used the phrase 'steep learning curve' which is certainly true, but I recall he also used the phrase 'ultimately rewarding', I'd go along with that too!

Ta,

--Hardcore--

(in reply to Hardcore)
Post #: 5
- 8/17/2002 7:11:59 AM   
rosary

Input like yours is a big help. Sometimes its not that easy to know what new players want to know about TOS.

(in reply to Hardcore)
Post #: 6
Dilemma - 8/18/2002 4:28:10 AM   
CrushU

I got a jock with horrid scanner skill, and to get OXP, I gotta make/complete scan checks. This takes a good 37 secs in which i cant fire. Are there any other ways to get OXP? (other than eject)

(in reply to Hardcore)
Post #: 7
- 8/18/2002 4:46:24 AM   
whitefirefox

get hurt and let your life support heal you

"Jumpjets out of fuel? ........Oh crap...." (last words of my whitefirefox jock :p)

(in reply to Hardcore)
Post #: 8
- 8/18/2002 4:48:02 AM   
whitefirefox

how is your rank exp (as in from rookie to champion exp) calculated?

"Jumpjets out of fuel? ........Oh crap...." (last words of my whitefirefox jock :p)

(in reply to Hardcore)
Post #: 9
- 8/18/2002 5:58:36 PM   
Thorgrim

[QUOTE]Originally posted by whitefirefox
[B]get hurt and let your life support heal you [/B][/QUOTE]

You need a good medical skill for that, and as you don't have a good scanner skill, I'm not sure it's the best option. And you can't be an android.
Try using a better scanner, it'll drop the scan time, and give you a better chance to make the scan.
Also you can use the recon skill, running from a woods hex to another. Or repairing stuff if you have a DCS, but that'll probably take more time than scanning.

Iceman

(in reply to Hardcore)
Post #: 10
- 8/18/2002 6:04:53 PM   
Thorgrim

[QUOTE]Originally posted by whitefirefox
[B]how is your rank exp (as in from rookie to champion exp) calculated? [/B][/QUOTE]

How it is calculated? Well, you have an experience total (which obviously starts at zero, when jock leaves prison). The XPs you get in combat (sum of MXPs, CXPs and OXPs) are added to that total, which is then checked against rank XP limits (check the manual). If you've passed the limit to the next rank, you're promoted (and awarded promotion DPs according to this new rank). When you reach champion status, there are no more promotions.
Does this answer your question? Not sure I understood it.

Iceman

(in reply to Hardcore)
Post #: 11
healing - 8/18/2002 6:08:05 PM   
Thorgrim

BTW, if one or both of you modes (attack and move) are on wait mode, you'll get a big bonus to your healing check (having both modes gives you +25% IIRC), which is taken every 15 game secs.

Iceman

(in reply to Hardcore)
Post #: 12
- 8/19/2002 1:18:03 PM   
LarkinVB

Having one of your modes on wait is needed to heal at all, having both on wait will give +25% on the check.

(in reply to Hardcore)
Post #: 13
- 8/19/2002 11:36:37 PM   
firestorm

also on the subject of promotions, i found some time back that if a jock gets 3+ kills in a single battle, he'll automatically be promoted, whether he meets the XP reqirements or not. and no it won't bump his XP to where it should be for the promotion, it just gives you the promotion and the DP bonus.

www(dot)attnam(dot)com

(in reply to Hardcore)
Post #: 14
Re: Dilemma - 8/20/2002 1:20:18 AM   
rosary

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CrushU
[B]I got a jock with horrid scanner skill, and to get OXP, I gotta make/complete scan checks. This takes a good 37 secs in which i cant fire. Are there any other ways to get OXP? (other than eject) [/B][/QUOTE]

Good scanner+ Good scan skill = quick scan time

It can be a life saver.

(in reply to Hardcore)
Post #: 15
- 8/21/2002 12:28:53 AM   
Thorgrim

[QUOTE]Originally posted by firestorm
[B]also on the subject of promotions, i found some time back that if a jock gets 3+ kills in a single battle, he'll automatically be promoted, whether he meets the XP reqirements or not. and no it won't bump his XP to where it should be for the promotion, it just gives you the promotion and the DP bonus. [/B][/QUOTE]

For someone who claims being in the RTFM crew, you haven't been reading the guide, have you? So RTFG! ;) It's been there for ages, that way to get promoted. And it's not automatic BTW, it's a roll. It's easy in the lower ranks, not so easy in the higher ones.

Iceman

(in reply to Hardcore)
Post #: 16
- 8/22/2002 7:25:10 AM   
CrushU

[QUOTE]Good scanner+ Good scan skill = quick scan time [/QUOTE]
Don't I know it. It positively RULES to be able to make a scan in 10 secs(could do it with my v1.2.1 team).

Thx for the info about healing, (I was WONDERING why I wasnt healing...) I didn't know any of it. Didn't know about 15sec interval, didnt know about having to have a mode on wait, and that both modes on wait is +%25 to the check. I was hurting once cuz a jock was at 9hp and wasnt healing (granted, he had 7 medical skill, but he was also moving around and scanning.)

(in reply to Hardcore)
Post #: 17
- 8/22/2002 10:43:04 PM   
firestorm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Thorgrim
[B]

For someone who claims being in the RTFM crew, you haven't been reading the guide, have you? So RTFG! ;) It's been there for ages, that way to get promoted. And it's not automatic BTW, it's a roll. It's easy in the lower ranks, not so easy in the higher ones. [/B][/QUOTE]

lol
well i admit i havn't read it in some time. last i looked it wasn't in there... i never knew it was a roll. hmm.
i don't play much ToS any more, as this computer doesn't have it and i don't have enough time to play a game anyways (my mom keeps me very busy).
so take most of what i say with a grain of salt, anyways...

P.S. don't you mean for me to RTF*M* not *G*?

www(dot)attnam(dot)com

(in reply to Hardcore)
Post #: 18
- 8/23/2002 1:57:28 AM   
Thorgrim

Nope, this time it's RTF Guide ;)

Iceman

(in reply to Hardcore)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Titans of Steel - Warring Suns >> Development points Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI