Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Strategic WW2 Boardgame: A World at War or What?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Strategic WW2 Boardgame: A World at War or What? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Strategic WW2 Boardgame: A World at War or What? - 8/7/2010 9:50:54 PM   
dogancan

I am looking for ww2 strategic boardgames. World in Flames looks massive, and I do not have a table large enough for its 5 maps. I find "A World at War" by GMT that will be reprinted (hopefully) soon. Downloaded its manual but could not read it yet. Did anyone played it? Is it easy to learn the game by yourself? How much playing hours two novice players will need to complete a full ww2 campaign? Do you recommend it? or can you suggest me any better alternatives?

thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Strategic WW2 Boardgame: A World at War or What? - 8/7/2010 11:10:35 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I'm thinking you won't find a table friendly board game meeting your interests.

A World at War is the evolution of the original Third Reich. My Advanced Third Reich map eats an entire dining room table at the minimum. About the same footprint as World in Flames for practical purposes.

Columbia Games has Front games East/West/Med Front. Not too large, not toooo complex, yet will still a good sized table.

And as it goes, two novices likely will not find much of anything suitable really suitable.

There is a good design also by Columbia Games called Victory the Blocks of War. Not tooo large, decent scope of action, but not too large a bite for your novice situation.
It's designed in the style of WW2, but not an actual map of the world. Best part is it can be expanded past 2 players (rare in wargaming).

Anyway, it is THIS gamer's opinion, that A World at War (the board game) is actually MORE complex than World in Flames (but that's a very long old debate from the 80s :)).

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to dogancan)
Post #: 2
RE: Strategic WW2 Boardgame: A World at War or What? - 8/7/2010 11:32:02 PM   
Yogi the Great

I feel liike a traitor to "Real Wargames" with this post

But if you want manageable space for a board game covering the war - more beer and pretzel type but there are several games in the Axis and Allies serious of games that just might interest you. The price can be a bit high however. They won't take up all the space and the time to play is very manageable compared to full scale strategy wargaming. Also they work for the novice as well.

Sorry forum members, but there is a time and place for every game. Anyone for Stratego?

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 3
RE: Strategic WW2 Boardgame: A World at War or What? - 8/8/2010 4:38:54 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

I feel liike a traitor to "Real Wargames" with this post

But if you want manageable space for a board game covering the war - more beer and pretzel type but there are several games in the Axis and Allies serious of games that just might interest you. The price can be a bit high however. They won't take up all the space and the time to play is very manageable compared to full scale strategy wargaming. Also they work for the novice as well.

Sorry forum members, but there is a time and place for every game. Anyone for Stratego?

Hey! I just bought a set of Stratego and Risk for my Social Studies classroom.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 4
RE: Strategic WW2 Boardgame: A World at War or What? - 8/8/2010 4:49:12 AM   
sabre1

Lord have mercy on me, I am agreeing with Les.

The Columbia East Front/West Front/ Med Front, would be excellent choices.

The Columbia Victory series is very good and flexible in terms of maps, time, and cost.

You can also go massive with the East Front series by putting them altogether with Eurofront. A truly massive, but doable game. Some people like block games, some don't, personally I do.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 5
RE: Strategic WW2 Boardgame: A World at War or What? - 8/8/2010 1:40:43 PM   
Wolfe1759

I believe World at War is the "next edition" of Advanced Third Reich / Rising Sun both of which I have but haven't played for years due to the amount of room the maps take to set up (and leave set up) same goes for the combined East/West/Med front. Both are though very good games with my personal preference being for Columbia's Front series.

My recommendations for games that will actually fit on a table would be

Europe Engulfed (GMT) - sort of a combination of Axis and Allies (area movement) and the Front series (blocks) though closer to the latter than the former.

Asia Engulfed (GMT) - PTO version of the above. Can be combined for a global war (but won't fit on my table then!)

Barbarossa to Berlin (GMT) - card driven point to point movement covering the ETO from 41-45.

Totaler Krieg (Decision Games) - very good ETO game hex based with card driven events, politics and production. Probably my favorite of all the strategic WW2 games I have but not certain if it is still available. A PTO/Global version has been rumoured for years now but I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

John Prado's Third Reich (Avalanche Press) - again based on Avalon Hill's Third Reich but made major changes to the mechanics, enough so to make it feel a bit quirky if you are used to the origional. Covers the whole of the ETO and there is a sister game covering the PTO which it can be combined with.

The best place for more info is http://www.boardgamegeek.com/? just type the name of the game into their search engine and see what comes up.

< Message edited by Wolfe -- 8/8/2010 1:42:53 PM >

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 6
RE: Strategic WW2 Boardgame: A World at War or What? - 8/8/2010 6:23:16 PM   
Jeffrey H.

SPI's Global War was manageable in terms of size.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Wolfe1759)
Post #: 7
RE: Strategic WW2 Boardgame: A World at War or What? - 8/8/2010 11:08:49 PM   
dogancan

Thanks for all replies. Just checked all the games you mentioned and Front series looks like something I might be interested.

One point needs clarification for me though. Sarge said that;
quote:

A World at War is the evolution of the original Third Reich. My Advanced Third Reich map eats an entire dining room table at the minimum. About the same footprint as World in Flames for practical purposes.

but once I compared the official product pages of WiF and AWaW, it seems that while the latter comes with four 75cmX55cm maps, WiF (upcoming ed.) is played with six 115cmX85cm maps. So, I assume that for aWaW, a 160cmX120cm table will be enough while WiF necessitates a considerably larger space. If that is right, I believe I can find some place at home for the game.

But still, complexity is an issue. Just purchased Pursuit of Glory (GMT) and managed the commplexity of it. But I am not sure if I have the patience to learn a game that is more complex that that. Anyway, thanks for your help. I will read the manuals of aWaW and any of those front games and make my decision.

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 8
RE: Strategic WW2 Boardgame: A World at War or What? - 8/9/2010 12:17:52 PM   
pzgndr

ETO from Neppagames is being republished by Shrapnel Games. It's like Third Reich-lite for the European Theater.

Blitzkrieg General by UGG is a global WWII strategic boardgame, relatively "lite" compared to AWAW and WiF.

(in reply to dogancan)
Post #: 9
RE: Strategic WW2 Boardgame: A World at War or What? - 8/9/2010 2:31:56 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

quote:

ORIGINAL: dogancan

Thanks for all replies. Just checked all the games you mentioned and Front series looks like something I might be interested.

One point needs clarification for me though. Sarge said that;
quote:

but once I compared the official product pages of WiF and AWaW, it seems that while the latter comes with four 75cmX55cm maps, WiF (upcoming ed.) is played with six 115cmX85cm maps. So, I assume that for aWaW, a 160cmX120cm table will be enough while WiF necessitates a considerably larger space. If that is right, I believe I can find some place at home for the game.

But still, complexity is an issue. Just purchased Pursuit of Glory (GMT) and managed the commplexity of it. But I am not sure if I have the patience to learn a game that is more complex that that. Anyway, thanks for your help. I will read the manuals of aWaW and any of those front games and make my decision.

My Charlie Kibler drawn A3R Advanced Third Reich map (which is only the eastern Atlantic and European/Western Russia to the Urals and down to the North African theatre including the Middle East when set up sits nicely on my 4x6 gaming platform with a total measured paper map footprint of exactly 30"x 43 1/4" made from 2 30" x 22" panels.

This is of course not the rebuilt game that is A World at War which as I mentioned evolved out of Third Reich -> Advanced Third Reich/Rising Sun -> Global War 2000 (original name) -> A World at War which in order to add the refinements developed to account for Pacific naval realities, has a slightly merged concept.

This is the game components description

1.1 A WORLD AT WAR COMPONENTS

1.1 A WORLD AT WAR COMPONENTS:
1.11 A World at War contains the following components:
A. Four unmounted 22" by 30" mapsheets (two for the European theater and two for the Pacific theater).
B. Ten counter sheets.
C. Rulebook.
D. Research and Diplomacy Tables booklet.
E. Scenario booklet.
F. Eight Player Aid Cards.
G. Four Naval Status Charts.
H. Codebreaking and oil effect cards.
I. Research, diplomatic, economic and other record sheets.
J. Force pool record sheets for each major power.
K. Naval and unit construction sheets for each major power.
L. Eight six-sided dice.

That likely results in a game that sits on a footprint of 30" x 88" or in other words a standard 4'x8' 3/4" particle board sheet should be just fine (and can be stored easier than a 4'x8' table I might add.

The game uses very few charts n tables of size, but has enough book keeping pages to keep track of the games various paperwork (yes there is paperwork in board games :)).

I don't have statistics handy for a fully set up World in Flames game using the add on maps you will find existing between a standard game's European and Pacific theatre maps.
But when I was sorting out what would fit and what would not fit on my current budget of 4' x 6' worth of available surface, I was able to find that game's maps ate the whole table and wanted more. But then I have the Scanadinavian map wanting to extend beyond my budgeted space, and the maps were beyond my 6' width potential, so I just plain didn't bother recording the numbers as it was clear I might as well play my favourite (A3R) if I had to make the choice.

I am an A3R champion by the way :)

This is a quote of the Board Gamer Geek description of John Prado's Third Reich.

Avalanche Press' re-release of the original classic. This is a significant overhaul based on the Avalon Hill 3R, and has nothing to do with the later Advanced 3R. There has been dramatic simplification and streamlining, however. Gone is the CRT, replaced by a Columbia-esque "roll lots of dice" combat resolution system. The whole front/option system has been revised with an "HQ activation marker" system: each nation buys activation markers for HQs, land, and air units, and puts them in a cup. Turn order is then determined by draws. Naval and air systems have been overhauled and simplified: sea zones now regulate movement. Tactical air support is now limited to being equal to the strength of the attacker/defender, not three times. Also includes 1938 (Spanish Civil War boils over to a general European conflict) and 1945 scenarios (Western Allies and Russia fall out after collapse of Germany).

I was unable to locate map sizes, but then they have released a Deluxe map sized version as well. So I guess there is more than one size. It is not Third Reich as is mentioned, but is an evolved concept based on it. Might even be perfectly acceptable to you (your call on that one).

The long story short. Whatever game of grand strategy you choice, the host location likely wants to purchase a 4' x 8' sheet of something 3/4" and provide maybe a cloth to pad the surface of whatever table volunteers to be the base. You can always trim the panel to fit. But chances are you need to consider a minimum size of 3.5 foot x 4.5 foot.

I went with 4' x 6' mainly as I play ASL, and my HASL maps are damn big.

< Message edited by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -- 8/9/2010 2:36:14 PM >

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to dogancan)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Strategic WW2 Boardgame: A World at War or What? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI