Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT Your Personal Library

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> OT Your Personal Library Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT Your Personal Library - 6/22/2010 12:11:08 AM   
KG Erwin

I am by no means well-to-do, and I rent a small house. However, I've been collecting and hoarding books for over 40 years, so one of my living room walls is full of cabinets overstuffed with my books.

If I had money, and a large house, one of my dreams is to have a library room. This would include a large-screen TV, a home-theater system, my music collection and my beloved books. This room would be my personal getaway space.

Right now, my "stuff" is scattered all over the house, and is not very organized. Of course, all this "stuff" drives my wife and my daughter crazy, as I'm always looking for an item that I've misplaced.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 6/22/2010 12:29:18 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/22/2010 1:39:39 AM   
ilovestrategy

You're not the only one. My wife is always complaining about my books.

Wife: "Why are you reading about barbarian tribes 2,000 years ago and what the hell kind of country was named Bactria?" 

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/22/2010 1:47:43 AM   
jomni

I'm building my library in the "cloud"! 

My focus is on eBooks.  They don't take up space. They never rot and burn down.
You can always redownload them as the bookstores keep a record of what you bought (just hope the stores don't fold up).
Though I would recommend this only to those who has the patience to read off a screen (PC, handheld readers and phones).

One has to also be "technologically aware". There are many ebook formats so you gotta know what's sort of universal (Adobe epub is quite universal). But there is also the dreadded DRM! Some ebook readers can take the DRM, some cannot. And different publishers can have different DRM despite using the same file format (epub). It is possible to strip off the DRM but there's an ethical debate on this.

Licensing is also a problem. A lot of stores only sell ebooks only to US customers. This is based on some publisher agreement.

< Message edited by jomni -- 6/22/2010 1:54:33 AM >

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 3
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/22/2010 1:48:37 AM   
MajFrankBurns

I have a large collection of PC games from 1980 to present. I get much more enjoyment out of them than reading a book. Plus they teach a lot of history without having to read the boring parts of it. I made good grades in History classes and never cracked one of those history books.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 4
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/22/2010 4:03:40 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: MajFrankBurns

I have a large collection of PC games from 1980 to present. I get much more enjoyment out of them than reading a book. Plus they teach a lot of history without having to read the boring parts of it. I made good grades in History classes and never cracked one of those history books.

Games do NOT replace books. Get thee to a library, young man!

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 6/22/2010 4:04:03 AM >

(in reply to MajFrankBurns)
Post #: 5
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/22/2010 4:08:34 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

You can always redownload them as the bookstores keep a record of what you bought (just hope the stores don't fold up).
Though I would recommend this only to those who has the patience to read off a screen (PC, handheld readers and phones).

One has to also be "technologically aware". There are many ebook formats so you gotta know what's sort of universal (Adobe epub is quite universal). But there is also the dreadded DRM! Some ebook readers can take the DRM, some cannot. And different publishers can have different DRM despite using the same file format (epub). It is possible to strip off the DRM but there's an ethical debate on this.

Licensing is also a problem. A lot of stores only sell ebooks only to US customers. This is based on some publisher agreement.

Sorry, jomni, but I get much more enjoyment out of holding a book than reading info off a PC screen. However, I'll admit that I've downloaded a few out-of-print books onto my HD. I grew up in the 1960s, and I actually read parts of that encyclopedia set my parents bought. Nowadays, though, you can get up to date encyclopedias online.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 6/22/2010 4:15:37 AM >

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 6
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/22/2010 4:28:48 AM   
SLAAKMAN

Too bad we dont live nearer Erwin. We could coordinate our collections and keep it organized better. My wishlist at Amazon alone is over 500 items (Im catching up to it, hehe) and I do want to get to it before I croak.

< Message edited by SLAAKMAN -- 6/22/2010 4:29:26 AM >

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 7
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/22/2010 6:34:36 AM   
JudgeDredd

Same here - I cannot read of a screen. Not only does it annoy me and make me tired, but I like the hand held article. Nothing to do with being a ludite - just my personal preference.

Glad to see the book publishing industry has learned it's lesson on DRM from the gaming industry.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 8
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/22/2010 7:43:54 AM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Same here - I cannot read off of a screen. Not only does it annoy me and make me tired, but I like the hand held article. Nothing to do with being a ludite - just my personal preference.

Ditto.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 9
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/22/2010 7:53:28 AM   
rhondabrwn

My daughter just bought me a Kindle for a late Mother's Day gift... should be here in a couple of days. She has one and says it beats the heck out of an actual book... clear and easy to read and portable.

I've got the Kindle for PC software installed so I've bought a couple of books from Amazon, including the concluding volume in Harry Turtledove's World at War series which has been out of print for awhile, but the Kindle version was available.

My 24 inch monitor proved to be a rather awkward bed companion though so the Kindle is a welcome substitute!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to E)
Post #: 10
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/22/2010 10:50:34 AM   
jomni

Yup forget about reading ebooks on your PC's and laptop...
Reading devices are the way to go.  It's just that they're still quite expensive.

< Message edited by jomni -- 6/22/2010 10:52:30 AM >

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 11
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/22/2010 11:10:58 AM   
sullafelix

I thought the same way about " real " books compared to ebooks until I bought a Sony Ereader. I probably have 1500+ hard copy books around here.

I have found books for free from Googles free library or whatever it is called that are so obscure and expensive for hard copies that there is no way I could ever afford to have them.

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 12
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/22/2010 12:28:15 PM   
wodin

I also get grief from the wife about my books...."how come you don't read anything else"...."how many books can you read on WW1"...."I've never known anyone to have so many books"...."There all about war"...."What another one"......"there are books all over the house"...moan....moan..."all you do is read"....."you love war more than me"...."your obsessed with war"...."your more interested in war than me"...."I think your gay....your more interested in men in uniform than me"....

Sorry went into one then....I also can't read a book on the PC or anykind of screen...I only have a certain amount of PC time and I'd rather do things that I can't do without one...i.e net or games...I can read a book other times i.e toilet (peace at last) or in bed...or when the missus is watching some missus programme.

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 13
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/22/2010 1:02:15 PM   
jomni

Any way in my case, it's the wife who's amassing a huge collection of books. 
She can read one novel a week.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 14
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/22/2010 1:52:00 PM   
Canoerebel

I fell in love with reading when I was about six.  I read all the time; usually more than one book at a time. I love good fiction, but most of my time is spent reading non-fiction.  I've even made lists of my ten favorite novels, ten favorite novels about Georgia (my home state), ten worst books, and ten best works of history.

When I was young I loved reading westerns.  I don't enjoy them very much these days, but I recently went on a camping trip out west.  Our travels took us to Nevada, so I re-read Zane Gray's Nevada, which was one of my favorite novels when I was young.

We've read "adult" books to our children since they were about six years old.  Over then ensuing ten years, I've read more than 80 to them and my wife has contributed even more than that.  We've enjoyed great books (Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird, Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn, and Alistair McLean's HMS Ulysses) and we've endured the duds (Herman Melville's Moby-Dick and Flannery O'Connor's Wise Blood).  My favorite reading memories are of the books/stories we read while camping:  The Barefoot Mailman on Cumberland Island, Georgia; Jurassic Park at Acadia National Park, Maine; Jack London's "To Build a Fire" at Great Smokey Mountains N.P. in Tennessee. 

Neither television programs nor computer games can in any way replace reading (), nor will my hands ever hold a Kindle or any sort of electronic "book."  Thoughts such as those are heresy.

We have bookshelves crammed full of great books, and since so much of what is written today is trash, many of our favorite books are read over and over again.

:)

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 15
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/22/2010 2:38:12 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

Sorry, jomni, but I get much more enjoyment out of holding a book than reading info off a PC screen. However, I'll admit that I've downloaded a few out-of-print books onto my HD. I grew up in the 1960s, and I actually read parts of that encyclopedia set my parents bought. Nowadays, though, you can get up to date encyclopedias online.

I also find tactile comfort in actually holding a book while reading it.

I wonder what things will be like a few tens of thousands of years from now when people start digging into our "era" and discover nothing they can use to glean information about our society. I worry that all this "digital" storing of data is just too ephemeral.......without the devices necessary to read digital data the data is lost. One only needs eyes to read a book.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 16
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/22/2010 3:20:12 PM   
michael1776

The issue that I have with e-readers is the fact that they are so proprietary. It seems that no one reader will display all file formats. And between the three big players Sony, Barnes and Noble and Amazon you are still very hard pressed to find something like Shelby Foote's Civil War Narrative or the like. Try to find Sink the Bismark (a great book BTW) on the Nook. You can't do it. If you like fiction, though, there is a fine assortment of ebooks. Yes I love to collect books. I'm not sure why but I take a certain amount of tactile comfort from them. Something about holding the bound paper; smelling the paper, ink and age of the book are all part of my reading experience. You just don't get that with an e-reader.

It's a shame but bound books are going the way of the dinasaur.

-MJ

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 17
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/22/2010 4:33:10 PM   
wodin

Speaking for myself Amazon and Naval and Military Press have been god sends for books

(in reply to michael1776)
Post #: 18
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/22/2010 4:51:30 PM   
E

Why does this thread remind me of Burgess Meredith's episode of the Twilight Zone? *grin*

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 19
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/22/2010 5:56:56 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: E

Why does this thread remind me of Burgess Meredith's episode of the Twilight Zone? *grin*

Naw, if he had a computer, he would not have been in the safe-and would have died with everyone else.

I have a couple of books cases loaded with history books. Everything from the ancients to Vietnam-including a couple about my State (Nevada) history. I have many paperbacks in boxes in the attic-some of those (all?) were very good books-just no place to keep those in the house-don't want to look like a horder.

Funny about Ebooks; I have tried, but it is just not the same. It must be due to some kind of indoctrination, or just being a dinosaur. I actually prefer PDF manuals to a booklet, but with an actual book, it is different-I want the book. I have downloaded multiple books, but have not finished any of those-even though those are interesting.

In view of the list of free books available online, I must force myself to keep trying to get into digital books.
BTW, thanks to the fellas that posted the links to the free E books-I had no idea those were there.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to E)
Post #: 20
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/22/2010 6:30:50 PM   
Canoerebel

I believe there will always be a good market for old fashioned books, magazines, and newspapers, no matter how far we swing towards electronic communcations.  (I hope so, anyway, as I am the publisher of a small magazine).

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 21
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/22/2010 9:07:42 PM   
Lützow

I wonder how people will read their e-books in like 30 years, when nobody reminds of Kindle or iPad anymore. Myself I find it quite comfortable to study the daily news on a large backlighted screen (where I spend most of my time anyway) but wouldn't purchase books, which are bound to a certain device and can't get shared with other people.

My library comprises several hundred titles about history, politics and philosophy - barely light fiction. Amongst other books a complete Brockhaus from 19th century (that's the German Encyclopedia Britannica) and Bismarck's reminiscences, which I inherited from my ancestors.

I'm happy they didn't know about e-readers at that time.

< Message edited by Lützow -- 6/22/2010 9:51:02 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 22
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/22/2010 9:49:46 PM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: E

Naw, if he had a computer, he would not have been in the safe-and would have died with everyone else.

(unless he kept his computer in the safe *grin*)

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 23
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/22/2010 9:50:45 PM   
Lützow

nm

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 24
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/23/2010 1:01:36 AM   
IronDuke_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

I think your gay....your more interested in men in uniform than me"....

Buy her a uniform.....

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 25
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/23/2010 2:14:52 AM   
jomni

quote:

ORIGINAL: michael1776
It seems that no one reader will display all file formats.

You can also convert Amazon's kindle format to a more universal ePub format via some other software. You can also strip the DRM away from some publishers to be able to read them. It's an easy process but quite technical. And of course there is the ethics issue.

But you are correct. The thing that hampers widespread ebook adoption is the DRM!!! Once there is a standard, then it's easy to make it popular and make readers more compatible and affordable and more future proof.

< Message edited by jomni -- 6/23/2010 2:18:13 AM >

(in reply to michael1776)
Post #: 26
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/25/2010 3:21:52 AM   
hgilmer3

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05

I thought the same way about " real " books compared to ebooks until I bought a Sony Ereader. I probably have 1500+ hard copy books around here.

I have found books for free from Googles free library or whatever it is called that are so obscure and expensive for hard copies that there is no way I could ever afford to have them.

I have to agree about this. I love books and I love my Kindle. I have read books I would have never bought at the store. Used books stores are so hit and miss and I'm not paying $10 or more for books I can get for 99 cents on a Kindle. I do agree that the selection on Kindle isn't as good as I would like it, but it has opened my eyes to more books and I'm reading more now than I did hen I was a kid.

When I was a kid, I was reading books so thick already people would ask me if I'm reading for school. Nope, just because I wanted to.

We might not be able to read kindles 10s of thousands of years from now, but unless they come up with a way to preserve real books, they'll be rotted away by then, too.

< Message edited by hgilmer3 -- 6/25/2010 3:22:00 AM >

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 27
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/25/2010 3:29:52 AM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

My daughter just bought me a Kindle for a late Mother's Day gift...

And I thought you were a bloke !

-

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 28
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/25/2010 4:02:16 AM   
jomni

Is rhonda a guy name?  It's cool to know that we have a female history buff in the forums.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 29
RE: OT Your Personal Library - 6/25/2010 4:41:46 AM   
t001001001

None of you saints have any Playboys in the library

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> OT Your Personal Library Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI