Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CAn US tanks swim?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> CAn US tanks swim? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CAn US tanks swim? - 6/15/2010 7:04:28 PM   
Henri

I was playing the "Peiper crosses the Meuse" scenario as the Germans. I had controlled the only two bridges for the whole game. Late in the game, the US 1st Armored Division comes in North of the rivder along the Eastern edge of the map (I started again as the US to check). There is a crossing point there but no bridge.

So imagine my surprise when the whole CCA2 armorede brigade showed up SOUTH of the river and took my units around the Huy Bridge from behind!

Now my understanding is that armored units can cross major rivers only at bridges. The map above shows the final situation when the game ended, and shows that there is no bridge at the Eastern crossing point (although it is possible to build one-I did so in an earlier attempt with the Germans). So how did the armor get across the river? They certainly did not cross at the two other bridges which are controlled by me.

Is this a bug?

Henri

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Henri -- 6/15/2010 7:11:32 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: CAn US tanks swim? - 6/15/2010 9:06:53 PM   
FredSanford3

Scenarios can have multiple entry points specified for a particular reinforcement, so they may have multiple entry points on one side, and some on the other side of the river.

That's what you get for assuming CCA would come in where you thought.

(in reply to Henri)
Post #: 2
RE: CAn US tanks swim? - 6/15/2010 9:32:37 PM   
Arimus

Your assuming that multiple entry points is the reason.

There could be a problem with the map where there is a "hole" in the river that is supposed to be river and shows up as river, but has mistakenly been placed as open terrain.
A simple way to check is with the motorized pathing tool. Pick a point north and a point south and see if it crosses anywhere other than the bridges.

(in reply to FredSanford3)
Post #: 3
RE: CAn US tanks swim? - 6/15/2010 10:40:39 PM   
FredSanford3

Do you mean like this?
Note the reinforcement I highlighted that enters SOUTH of the river.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Arimus)
Post #: 4
RE: CAn US tanks swim? - 6/15/2010 11:01:20 PM   
henri51

Strange, I loaded up the game 3 times as the Allies to check, and each tie, that unit was shown as due to enter NORTH of the river.

The conclusion seems to be that from one game to the other, entry locations can change! Dang!

First time I played, all US units entered from North of the river, and I had sent some engineers to build a bridge there and sent a brigade that way, so I assumed that it would always be the same.But this time I was trying out a different strategy and left that location alone.. Dang sneaky AI!

I checked the manual, and nowhere does it say that there can be multiple entry points, nor that it can change from game to game.

Henri

(in reply to FredSanford3)
Post #: 5
RE: CAn US tanks swim? - 6/15/2010 11:39:50 PM   
Arjuna

A scenario can have multiple reinforcement schedules for each reinf category. Eg it could half a dozen schedules for the standard reinforcement category. If there is more than one, then one is chosen at random at the start of the game. Each schedule can have its owen arrival locations. Hence why you can have a particular reinf arrive north of the river and then in another instance arrive south of the river.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 6
RE: CAn US tanks swim? - 6/16/2010 12:42:04 AM   
MarkShot

It's been there since the beginning.

This was a key feature with RDOA and HTTR. Playing the Germans, you couldn't know exactly where the DZs and LZs were going to be. Otherwise, you could have simply camped out on the right field and shot up those unlucky souls while their units REORGed to regain cohesion.

Never more! (I've had enough. Sliterine has raised mediocrity to an art form!)

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 7
RE: CAn US tanks swim? - 6/16/2010 2:01:05 AM   
Obsolete

The humorous title made me do a quick search.  To answere your question, apparently NO; US TANKS can not swim even in today's time.  Looks like you have to look to something foreign like the leapard II in order to snorkel.  I was actually surprised that there is not even one single tank America has that can snorkel.  It is possible my resources are out of date or not complete, does anyone know of any exceptions out of couriosity?

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 8
RE: CAn US tanks swim? - 6/16/2010 2:05:13 AM   
MarkShot

For D-Day, didn't they have the Sherman fitted with some type of inflatable skirt in order that it could float into the beaches?

Never more! (I've had enough. Sliterine has raised mediocrity to an art form!)

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 9
RE: CAn US tanks swim? - 6/16/2010 2:42:10 AM   
Arimus

Yeah, a duplex drive M4. I don't think the skirt was inflatable, it was erected and made of canvas

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 10
RE: CAn US tanks swim? - 6/16/2010 3:56:31 AM   
Obsolete

quote:

For D-Day, didn't they have the Sherman fitted with some type of inflatable skirt in order that it could float into the beaches?

I remember some light tanks had attachable pontoons, and other floatation devices, which had a tendency to seperate or deflate and cause the sinking of a few vehicles.  I'm not sure if it counts as swimmable.  Maybe...

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to Arimus)
Post #: 11
RE: CAn US tanks swim? - 6/16/2010 2:59:19 PM   
Knavery

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

The humorous title made me do a quick search.  To answere your question, apparently NO; US TANKS can not swim even in today's time.  Looks like you have to look to something foreign like the leapard II in order to snorkel.  I was actually surprised that there is not even one single tank America has that can snorkel.  It is possible my resources are out of date or not complete, does anyone know of any exceptions out of couriosity?

We don't need one that can snorkel. We only fight in the desert. ;)

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
3.4 gigahertz AMD Phenom 965 Quad Core
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1024Meg
4GB RAM

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 12
RE: CAn US tanks swim? - 6/16/2010 3:11:35 PM   
spelk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arimus
Yeah, a duplex drive M4. I don't think the skirt was inflatable, it was erected and made of canvas

And most of them heading for Omaha didn't make it :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DD_tank

(in reply to Arimus)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> CAn US tanks swim? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI