Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

To Replacements or not Replacements?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> To Replacements or not Replacements? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
To Replacements or not Replacements? - 6/15/2010 5:46:56 PM   
cantona2

Having read a thread about TO&E updates, is it advisable to leave replacements on? I generlly leave replacements off because of initial supply issues, especially in China, and tend to manage the LCU's on an individual basis?

However the impression I got was that for a unit to fill out its TO&E with items from the equipment pools replacements need to be on and they need to be able to draw supplies. So is it a must that replacements are on?

Let me set an example. Say a Chinese corps that only has Infantry and Support squads on the books. If i click on show TO&E I get a list for AA MG's, anti-tank guns etc. Will the only way for this equipment to move from the pools to the unit be if replacements are on and the unit can draw supply?

Thanks

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Post #: 1
RE: To Replacements or not Replacements? - 6/15/2010 5:52:45 PM   
CapAndGown

yes. replacements on needed.

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 2
RE: To Replacements or not Replacements? - 6/15/2010 5:56:49 PM   
cantona2

ty C&G

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 3
RE: To Replacements or not Replacements? - 6/15/2010 8:42:11 PM   
PaxMondo

but not everywhere ... you don't produce enough for everything at once.  Most players start with replacements OFF and then selectively turn units on watching the pool levels.

Pax

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 4
RE: To Replacements or not Replacements? - 6/15/2010 9:46:04 PM   
topeverest

Know the critical shortage upgrade elements, and manually manage the units that consume them. That said, most units are set to replacements ON, especially as the war gets into late 42.

Andy M

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 5
RE: To Replacements or not Replacements? - 6/16/2010 1:18:16 PM   
xj900uk

IMO Keep the replacmenets set to 'off', at least until the end of '42 (for both sides) and your replacement pools start to fill up.
However, if you have the odd bashed-about LCU that needs a spot of tender loving care, put it in a big city with lots of HQ and support, set it to rest/trining and turn the replacement option to 'Y' but only do it as and when required as it consumes supplies & also takes things out of your off-map pools...

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 6
RE: To Replacements or not Replacements? - 6/16/2010 2:16:57 PM   
CapAndGown

quote:

ORIGINAL: xj900uk

IMO Keep the replacmenets set to 'off', at least until the end of '42 (for both sides) and your replacement pools start to fill up.
However, if you have the odd bashed-about LCU that needs a spot of tender loving care, put it in a big city with lots of HQ and support, set it to rest/trining and turn the replacement option to 'Y' but only do it as and when required as it consumes supplies & also takes things out of your off-map pools...

Note, the Japanese do not work on the pool system. They have as many replacements as needed depending on their supply of armaments and vehicle points.

(in reply to xj900uk)
Post #: 7
RE: To Replacements or not Replacements? - 6/17/2010 11:47:37 AM   
xj900uk

THanx 4 reminding me of that. The Japanese need to be very careful of their replacements and husband them until really needed - therefore when playing them I would always keep replacements toggled 'off' and only switch them on for units as & when required (ie an upgrade or to bring soemthing back to full strenght ASAP because it's needed urgently elsewhere)

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 8
RE: To Replacements or not Replacements? - 6/17/2010 4:57:12 PM   
crsutton

Only in China is it an issue as replacement also drain supply. If you are having severe supply issues (not uncommon) then you have to turn then off. Not to mention a lot of other things.

Likewise  it might be a good idea to have them turned off in OZ as you need to have a certain number of AIF squads in the pool to ensure your CMF squads will upgrade and the shortage of AIF squads really dictates that you pick and choose who gets replacments. But if you have units with the full complement of squads then you can safely leave them with replacments on, and in "rest" mode for device upgrades as they won't drain any squads from the pool.

Otherwise it is like said here before. You have to watch key weapons. (Vickers squads come to mind for the British and Allies) and be selective until the pools of these weapons start to fill.

US troops, I never turn replacement off. Not much of a worry there.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to xj900uk)
Post #: 9
RE: To Replacements or not Replacements? - 6/17/2010 7:35:04 PM   
Smeulders

quote:

ORIGINAL: cap_and_gown
Note, the Japanese do not work on the pool system. They have as many replacements as needed depending on their supply of armaments and vehicle points.

I was under the impression that there was a pool for a few devices, most notable the Chinese squads for the Japanese.

As for the allies, look out for aviation support squads early in the war, if you let the Soviet VVS base forces draw those squads, you will soon run low.

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 10
RE: To Replacements or not Replacements? - 6/18/2010 5:09:40 AM   
PaxMondo

Yes, and squads like engineer and support can drain quickly.  Both Allies and Japan build these at a fixed rate.

Pax

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 11
RE: To Replacements or not Replacements? - 1/13/2011 9:16:44 AM   
BigDuke66

I just have to make this decision too but before that how much supply is expanded for receiving replacements?
1 supply for each "device"?

Personally I wonder what to do with the Soviets, China, and the area that is likely to get overrun, I see it this way:
-Soviets are still out of play for a long time and are mostly full anyway they could be set to NO to preserve aviation squads.
-China should maybe only have the front and second line set to receive replacements so supply consumption is minimized and devices are put were needed and not in some backward area hundreds of miles from the frontline.
-Units in the overrun area should also be set to NO to preserve supplies for the fight instead of wasting it for more devices that than run out of supply.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 12
RE: To Replacements or not Replacements? - 1/13/2011 4:34:17 PM   
Smeulders

Supply cost is 1 per load cost of a device.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 13
RE: To Replacements or not Replacements? - 1/13/2011 4:44:21 PM   
Marcus_Antonius

Yes, I am not sure where you can see it in game, but the Tracker shows individual items is the pools for the Japanese side, everything from Chinese squads to 81mm mortars, etc.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smeulders

quote:

ORIGINAL: cap_and_gown

I was under the impression that there was a pool for a few devices, most notable the Chinese squads for the Japanese.

As for the allies, look out for aviation support squads early in the war, if you let the Soviet VVS base forces draw those squads, you will soon run low.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> To Replacements or not Replacements? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI