Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Titans of Steel - Warring Suns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 8/23/2002 2:04:46 AM   
Thorgrim

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CrushU
[B]Although I must admit there are some times where you kill the engine, with no boom (not sure when this happens, seems like it happens when target titan isnt using much power, or is severly disabled but not dead (ie, one side's torso, arm, and leg are gone, but it still has that annoying tesla bolt on the other side.)
[/B][/QUOTE]

It's a check, depending on damage control skill of the jock and the quality of the DCS if any. Check the Guide, under Engine Explosion, one of the last pages.

Engine explosions also radiate the jocks in the affected area. If usually nothing happens, you may get unlucky enough to have one of those nasty special effects come down on you.

In a nutshell, toggle your shield on if you're expecting the engine of a nearby titan to go off!

Iceman

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 31
- 8/23/2002 3:54:33 AM   
CrushU

It is fun to blow up a titan in the middle of nme titans. Occaisionally (not often) I blow one of mine up to do it. (use ngm's at long range, or have it step into burning forest) I don't do it often cuz it runs through jocks and money.

I did make about 3 or 4 titans all named nuke. one in recon, heavy and assault, maybe light. They're there for the stupid AI to pick. Basically I slapped the biggest engine possible on it and thats it. Makes a large explosion. The only problem is that if you see one of these coming toward you, best to blow it up quick, before its in among your titans.

When I have long-ranged cannon/energy titans, I do aim for the chest as soon as possible, assuming they're far enough away from my titans. Center torso is more heavily armored than the head, but it's easier to hit. So as long as they are AWAY from my titans, I blow em up when I can. :)

Side Note, Newbies, do NOT do this!: The first titan I made was named Lumberjack, so named because it used axes. (lame, i know) When nearly done, I didnt have enough weight to do what I wanted, so I didnt put armor on the lower torso. I also didnt have enough space in the center torso, so I put the engine on the lower torso. I meant to use this titan, took it out into battle, and promptly got my jock killed in the engine explosion and slapped myself on the head. (I rationalized engine in un-armored part, because "lower torso isn't hit very often" yeah right...) It's kinda what gave me the idea for NUKE.

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 32
- 8/23/2002 4:01:43 AM   
LarkinVB

You are talking about very experienced teams, right.

Usually called hits are no choice for beginner to medium titans.

There is a certain point in the game when your jocks reach skills around 80% were you can hope for called shots at a range greater than point blank.

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 33
- 8/23/2002 4:08:14 AM   
CrushU

Heh, the guy who made the called shot had yellow scan on him, the target was on the ground, and the jock had 60-75 skill on cannon. Also blue heat. 83% chance to hit without called shot...

He was rank 4, i think closing in on rank 5.

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 34
- 8/24/2002 1:55:51 AM   
mutt2050

I don't kow what you were thinking not puting armor on your lower torso. I have lost a lot of titans from thier lower torsos being hit. And often times I aim for the lower torso or the legs. Nock him to the ground then called shots to the head and take him out.

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 35
- 8/24/2002 4:38:02 AM   
PrinceCorrin

Come on now, wouldn't you be incapacitated if YOUR Lower Torso (read: area betwixt one's legs) were shot to hell or ripped clean off? I know I wouldn't be going places too awful quick. You better be armoring that titan's codpiece.

On the subject of aiming for the CT: I do this alot. It's an area easily hit multiple times by CSs, but I prefer to do it at long range. If at close range I generally swing for the legs. They're not as easy to hit, but not as difficult as the head, and make the titan fall down and go boom if you chop 'em off. Another place I like to hit is the Center Back Torso. Kills as effectivally as the CT, and often doesn't contain an engine. An early strategy of mine, when it was much harder to kill a ToS, was to snipe through both Center Torsos for a quick kill.

As for the engines themselves fissioning, I beleive fission vaporizes everything nearby. The engines used in ToS don't seem to fuse on an atomic level, they seem to explode in a simple release of heat and pressure, like a great amount of tritenol, or Trinitrotoluate. Or even C4.
Not really a nuclear fission type blast. Too weak.

I see your lips moving, but all I hear is: Blah Blah Blah, I'm a friggin moron.

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 36
- 8/24/2002 5:38:26 AM   
Thorgrim

We're not talking about lighting a whole 10 million people city, we're talking about powering a relatively low consumption killing machine. We're not talking about a conventional thermonuclear powerplant, we're talking nuclear engines.
I didn't know C4 released radiation BTW...

Iceman

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 37
- 8/28/2002 12:12:54 AM   
PrinceCorrin

:rolleyes: :p

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 38
- 8/28/2002 9:28:25 PM   
CrushU

As I said, that was the first titan I made. It sucked. It ROYALLY sucked. It sucked dirt every time it went out, if not sucking explosion from engine.

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 39
- 8/29/2002 4:08:29 AM   
rosary

That is the reason we have stock titans. But feel free to design all the titans you want. Use the Pinboard for a general idea of how it will do.

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 40
- 8/29/2002 6:00:32 AM   
whitefirefox

i never use the pinboard.........don't rightly understand it

"Jumpjets out of fuel? ........Oh crap...." (last words of my whitefirefox jock :p)

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 41
- 8/29/2002 6:34:40 AM   
Bernd Hesberg

I'd think you don't need much imagination to understand it, but I'll give you some short hints. The two most important specs are heatmanagement and powermanagement, then followed by firepower. You might want to improve your designs to maximize these ratings. Also note that over-powering cuts down the rating. And if you're looking for a high overall rating, make sure the titan has a good scanner, good BC and (!) jump ports.

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 42
- 8/29/2002 11:25:44 AM   
rosary

Another reason to use the pinboard is that it creates a text file of your titan specs.

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 43
- 8/30/2002 7:58:59 PM   
Hardcore

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Thorgrim
[B]I didn't know C4 released radiation BTW... [/B][/QUOTE]
Of course it does, it releases a good amount of visible light and infra-red heat too I would imagine.

;)

-- Hardcore --

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 44
- 8/30/2002 10:29:17 PM   
mutt2050

All explosions release some form of radiation, but it is at such low levels that it has no lasting effects.

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 45
- 9/2/2002 9:31:43 PM   
Marga

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PrinceCorrin
[B]Put higher percentages on locations that have heat sink locations (i.e. CT, Arms, Legs) to increase the efficiency of your heat regs. [/B][/QUOTE]

Didn't take a look at the source code to this feature for a long time, but I think the size of the location is rather important than any installed heatregulators. The larger the bodypart the more heat is reduced by a special armor type.

:cool:

Up The (UNDEAD)- Irons

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 46
- 9/3/2002 11:40:24 PM   
Thorgrim

Actually no, size isn't a factor. Should be, but isn't. Maybe this could be another new feature in WS? ;)

Iceman

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 47
Factory Help doesnt cover this: - 9/9/2002 12:38:41 PM   
CrushU

When you are choosing a scanner, whats that VM rating? or whatever it is, just to right of the scanning ranges.

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 48
- 9/9/2002 4:46:38 PM   
Thorgrim

You mean VH? Virtual Height. It's used to calculate scan height for line of sight purposes, along with the titan's height and the terrain's height.

Iceman

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 49
- 9/10/2002 2:29:03 AM   
rosary

My recommendation is buy the best scanner you can afford to fit in your Titan. It will scan quicker and give more info. Combine this with your pilots scan skill and you'll be much happier.

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 50
- 9/10/2002 4:21:44 AM   
Omega

[QUOTE]Actually no, size isn't a factor. Should be, but isn't. Maybe this could be another new feature in WS? [/QUOTE]

Well the "Guide" seems to disagree with you.

ARMOR

A heat dissipation modifier of 110% is better than 80%. This means that a Titan fully armored with Millenia will have its Heat Regulator working at 110%. It's also important which location is armored, namely its size. Heat effective armor in a small location like an arm is not as effective as the same armor in a big location like the center torso. The program checks each location, its size and armor type, and calculates a global modifier, which is applied to the heat reduction.
Only armor in locations with a Heat Regulator section will modify heat dissipation capability.

The damage allocation table results in the following average damage profile:
center torso / center back torso 15%
right torso / left torso 13%
right leg / left leg 12%
right arm / left arm / lower torso 10%
head 5%
Keep this in mind when adding armor to your Titan design.

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 51
- 9/10/2002 4:36:12 AM   
LarkinVB

Marga should check this.

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 52
- 9/10/2002 10:54:41 PM   
Thorgrim

Yes Omega, but I wrote the guide :) based on info from Marga and Larkin. That piece of info is still in the v1.4 latest available version, but I've *long* deleted it. The updated version is still only in my hands.

Iceman

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 53
- 9/12/2002 2:34:10 AM   
Omega

Oh, that is fair.

BTW, is the fact that the pinboard generates Titan printouts documented anywhere? And why are they .TOS instead of TEXT?

I really want to have to sellect the application every time to open a plain text document :-( And if I rename them next time I click on the pinboard I'll get yet another file, OK they are small but STILL!

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 54
- 9/12/2002 2:38:41 AM   
Thorgrim

I don't think it is documented anywhere now that you mention it. But I'm not sure if I already took care of it or not. Will check.

That's a pain, I know. I've had that same thought a *load* of times, when I was rebuilding the database. You can always set notepad as default to open *.tos files, but I personally don't like it much.

Iceman

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 55
- 9/12/2002 5:19:24 AM   
rosary

Just set any .tos files to be permanently opened by a word processor. It won't hurt anything and you have the choice of what editor you want it opened with rather then us deciding for you.

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 56
- 9/13/2002 11:17:34 PM   
CrushU

Virtual Height? Sweet. I had long noticed that if the terrain was higher than titan's+terrain its on, it couldnt see past it. But sometimes I could, and it confused me. Is virtual height added into the titan+terrain height?

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 57
- 9/13/2002 11:52:36 PM   
PrinceCorrin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CrushU
[B]Virtual Height? Sweet. I had long noticed that if the terrain was higher than titan's+terrain its on, it couldnt see past it. But sometimes I could, and it confused me. Is virtual height added into the titan+terrain height? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 58
- 10/5/2002 11:49:13 PM   
Korgmeister

Engine explosions don't suck?

Don't tell me engine explosions don't suck!

Squad leader Black Wing is merrily frame broiling an enemy Griffon using the handy-dandy quad flamethrowers on his Crucible.

Black Wing gets a little overzealous, and overheats the Griffon to the point where his powerplant goes BOOM!

67 Points of damage and 100 points of heat, geez, that sucks!

Uh oh, 33 points of damage to the barely-holding-together enemy titan the pilot ejected from...C Torso destroyed.

BOOM!

There's another 33 points of damage and another 100 degrees of heat.

Uh oh, now the Crucible is at 273...you know what that means.

BOOM!

Which then sends Bone Head's Bait MkIV into 300, so he goes...

BOOM!

And you get the idea. Engines continue to explode until I stop finding this funny, press the 'exit' button and rewind time by 10 seconds so that I DON'T go completely insane with the flame throwers. (If the computer can cheat, so can I, bleah =P)

For the record: Who on earth uses Millenia or Titanium armour?

Millenia Armour - Wow! It offers me almost no protection at all, and weighs heaps! Where do I sign up to buy a whole truckload?

Titanium Armour - Just what I always wanted! Armour with the consistency of tinfoil that severely impairs my Titan's Heat dissipation. Wait till Hetzer sees me in this!

Either I'm missing something, or these 2 armour types need their suck factor severely reduced for WS, because I don't use them at all.

Korgmeister - Mad scientist of pessimistic ToS design and unluckiest ToS player in history.

Please note that all comments that any weapon, design, tactic etc are better are: FROM AN ENTIRELY SUBJECTIVE POINT OF VIEW and should be recieved in such light

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 59
- 10/6/2002 2:47:16 AM   
Hetz

The game is driven by heat. When designing a titan this must be considered before anything else. It doesn't matter if you're designing an Beamer or a Missle-boat or anything in between.
An example of this is my Mugger design. I have 3-5 titans that all use the same basic chassis/electronics suite/damage control etc... The Mugger has 3 AC20 and 2 LL. Most of my designs are built around one main type of weapon to take advantage of whatever that weapon does (BRG to knock you down, NBs to puree your jocks) the 2 LLs are for starting fires and encouraging my opponents to keep their shields up. The Mugger works like this: 1st round of firing you fire 2 ac20s and wait a couple of seconds until your heat returns to black and fire the third/ then you wait on "recycle next weapon (by which time your heat has cooled to black) you then fire the 2 ac20s which have reloaded and wait on heat black and fire your third ac20 after that you fire on heat black, period. This winds up giving you one shot with no heat penalty every 7 seconds.

With your design you are going to be in serious trouble not merely because of heat but because anything that closes with you will tear you apart. Two PBs plus two other close range weapons (teslas or chainsaws or the like) can work very well because once you get into the range penalty for the PBs your other weapons are now effective. If you put anything but a Heat A system in an assault you're asking for trouble.

Using millenia armor for the back torso slot can give you the same protection plus a .1/sec cooling advantage.

Hetzer

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Titans of Steel - Warring Suns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI