Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

NewB Question Part VII: Improve Home-made Titan

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Titans of Steel - Warring Suns >> NewB Question Part VII: Improve Home-made Titan Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NewB Question Part VII: Improve Home-made Titan - 7/30/2002 9:54:34 PM   
Wraith3k

I build more than one, and this could be the worst of all.

Class: Krios K-M2
Weight: 100/100
Engine: 8
Heat: 6
Flare: 1
Shld 1
Life: 5
Scan: 1
Comp: 6
Weapon: Plasma Gun, Plasma Gun, Medium Laser
Armor: 25-34
I only fire Plasma. Medium are for close range or when plasma is not loaded.

I want to improve on the Heat, it take too long to drop. And i don't really want the Mech to be close range. Also the Skill for this Mech's Jock is almost all on Engy Weapon & Indrect Fire.

Email me if u want the file for the mech. [email]Wraith3k@hotmail.com[/email]
Wraith

"...that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. You won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
General George S. Patton, Jr.
Post #: 1
- 7/30/2002 10:05:15 PM   
Bernd Hesberg

If you want the heat to drop quicker, you have two chances: either use a better heat reg (could be a challenge to free up the necessary slots), or fire only one plasma at a time, wait some seconds and then fire the next. It's also a good option to wait until heat has dropped into the lower regions (green or black).

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 2
- 7/30/2002 11:21:39 PM   
PrinceCorrin

Another trick to decreasing heat is to use different armor types. If you look in the factory module where armor is listed, you'll notice that there are percentages of heat dissipation for the different types of armor: anywhere from 80-110%. Put higher percentages on locations that have heat sink locations (i.e. CT, Arms, Legs) to increase the efficiency of your heat regs.

I see your lips moving, but all I hear is: Blah Blah Blah, I'm a friggin moron.

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 3
- 7/30/2002 11:48:57 PM   
Bernd Hesberg

[QUOTE]Another trick to decreasing heat is to use different armor types.[/QUOTE] I wouldn't call that a trick. It's one of the many possibilities of designing a titan. Of course, there's only one armor type to improve heat dissipation and there are two which will hamper it to some extent.
Well, when I had read the design description above, it was quite clear that most of the armor used must be Vicenium (because of its light weight). So, there's probably no chance to improve that design by using different armor types.
Anyway, the first two parts plated with Vicenium should always be the legs!

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 4
- 7/31/2002 12:50:47 AM   
Wraith3k

i got D-Type on head, left-right torso and center torso. for the rest i use V-Type

"...that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. You won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 5
- 7/31/2002 1:06:41 PM   
LarkinVB

I would also improve on the weak scanner and reduce life support for it.

Also note that your jock won't benefit from the indirect fire skill.

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 6
pinboard - 7/31/2002 8:32:17 PM   
Thorgrim

You can go to the factory, load the design, and hitting 'pinboard' will produce a text file in the data folder (in this case the medium subfolder, for medium titans) with all the stats of the design. You can then open the file, select and copy everything and then paste it here. It's easier to analyse. You'll have to remove the '<' and '>' signs from the titan's name though, or it won't show cause of HTML.

For faster heat dissipation, you can stand in water (-2.0 to -3.0 C/sec depending on level). It will, however, require a skill check to enter, and any further skill checks you may have to take will be harder. Having a good Defensive skill will also help some (-0.3C/sec).

Iceman

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 7
- 7/31/2002 8:41:41 PM   
Wraith3k

just one thing, if i change the file to txt. how do i change it back? i tried rename, but it just turn in to xxxxx.txt

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 8
- 7/31/2002 10:38:35 PM   
Thorgrim

You don't need to change it back, the file has no use whatsoever in game terms. Its purpose is solely to allow players to swap and post designs.
You don't even need to rename it to .txt, you can double click on it and when the 'open with' menu pops up choose notepad. Just make sure not to leave the 'always open ...' option checked, or your titan database files (?.tos) will be marked as opening with notepad and they're data files.

Iceman

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 9
- 8/1/2002 4:49:27 AM   
PrinceCorrin

You might also try swapping one of your energy weapons for a less heat intensive wep, if heat is your only concern.

You might want to consider missiles, considering you've already started on the indirect fire skill.

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 10
- 8/2/2002 2:46:28 AM   
rosary

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Thorgrim
[B]You don't need to change it back, the file has no use whatsoever in game terms. Its purpose is solely to allow players to swap and post designs.
You don't even need to rename it to .txt, you can double click on it and when the 'open with' menu pops up choose notepad. Just make sure not to leave the 'always open ...' option checked, or your titan database files (?.tos) will be marked as opening with notepad and they're data files. [/B][/QUOTE]

I did check the 'always open with' Notepad option. It has had no adverse affects on the game.

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 11
Hrm... - 8/2/2002 5:05:30 AM   
CrushU

Is it just me or does the Inferno titan (light) kick serious Titan booty? I've played three games with that titan and a close combat one (i made it, two ac4's and 2 chain saws... fun :) )and the inferno kicks more steel buttocks.

A side note: Somehow, enemy pilots die after about the fourth salvo of N.M from the Inferno... bug or feature?

Its fun to make the comp titans stop because you set the forest in front of them on fire :)

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 12
- 8/2/2002 9:51:46 PM   
Thorgrim

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rosary
[B]

I did check the 'always open with' Notepad option. It has had no adverse affects on the game. [/B][/QUOTE]

Of course not, but you don't want *every* one of your data files to be opened with notepad as default, do you? ;)

Iceman

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 13
CHAINSAWS RULE - 8/2/2002 10:53:18 PM   
CrushU

Titan Fun:
Take one Titan with a Chain Saw, and another without one.
Attack the Titan without the Chain Saw, and bring him to his knees.
Do a called shot on the head of the titan without the Chain Saw.
Watch head go rolling across ground.

Tape this and replay it endlessly for enjoyment. :)

its fun to whack a titan's head off with a chainsaw :)

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 14
- 8/3/2002 2:51:55 AM   
rosary

Its just as fun to whack the head of a titan with a small laser.

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 15
- 8/3/2002 5:08:27 AM   
CrushU

yeah... but you just get a battered head, instead of one rolling across the ground. :)

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 16
- 8/6/2002 8:25:09 PM   
Wraith3k

sry for not reply the post guys. i was camping up north in Ontario

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 17
- 8/18/2002 5:06:09 AM   
whitefirefox

who cares if the head rolls around? grab the biggest gun you can find and just blow the head off entirely cuz its always more fun to watch something with its head blown off go down in flaming pieces (course making the engine explode is always sooooo much more rewarding to me ^^)

"Jumpjets out of fuel? ........Oh crap...." (last words of my whitefirefox jock :p)

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 18
- 8/18/2002 6:22:35 AM   
rosary

The point of destroying a Titans head is that you not only disable the Titan but you also kill the enemy jock.

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 19
- 8/18/2002 6:47:51 AM   
whitefirefox

yeah i know but if you just tottaly obliterate it along with the engine you can watch the tos go up (or down as the case usually is) in flaming glory for the guy who shot the engine ^^

"Jumpjets out of fuel? ........Oh crap...." (last words of my whitefirefox jock :p)

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 20
- 8/18/2002 6:12:42 PM   
Thorgrim

*And* you lose valuable salvage money!
Besides, if you're within 2 hexes of the blast you're taking damage/heat/radiation yourself.

Iceman

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 21
- 8/18/2002 11:38:32 PM   
whitefirefox

yeah but watching them explode is SOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun! :D

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 22
- 8/19/2002 8:01:03 PM   
Korgmeister

Nah, I am definately for lopping off the head with chainsaws. :D

There's few things worse than having two CC titans go into engine shutdown because some bozo made a powerplant hit.

Korgmeister - Mad scientist of pessimistic ToS design and unluckiest ToS player in history.

Please note that all comments that any weapon, design, tactic etc are better are: FROM AN ENTIRELY SUBJECTIVE POINT OF VIEW and should be recieved in such light

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 23
- 8/19/2002 11:50:57 PM   
firestorm

personally i'd rather NB the fool to death... but that's kinda hard.

www(dot)attnam(dot)com

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 24
- 8/20/2002 1:24:40 AM   
rosary

Isn't this always the case? We all love fireworks as long as we can watch them from a safe distance.

During a multiplayer game of TOS:Warring Suns this weekend, My last two titans made the fatal error of destroying our enemies powerplant. Both of my jocks died.

Also, I think I prefer the term:

Unexpected Fission Surplus to Nuclear Explosion.

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 25
- 8/21/2002 2:16:13 AM   
PrinceCorrin

Well, technically it's not a nuclear ecplosion. It's simply a radioactive, fissionless (or dirty) explosion. So it's a big bang with radiation. No mushroom cloud. Nuclear powerplants are not capable of exploding in a manner which would produce a nuclear yield of mass destruction. They're not designed for it.

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 26
- 8/21/2002 7:14:11 AM   
whitefirefox

*stops building his nuclear engine* dangit why'd you have to go and tell me that? now ill never have a kamikazi tos!

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 27
- 8/21/2002 11:26:47 AM   
rosary

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PrinceCorrin
[B]Well, technically it's not a nuclear ecplosion. It's simply a radioactive, fissionless (or dirty) explosion. So it's a big bang with radiation. No mushroom cloud. Nuclear powerplants are not capable of exploding in a manner which would produce a nuclear yield of mass destruction. They're not designed for it. [/B][/QUOTE]

So does this mean we agree on the term:

Unexpected fission surplus?

But I should mention you are talking about nuclear powerplants of the ancients. I am discussing the fission plants of those of us TOS pilots living 1000 years after the creation of the faster than light drive. . . right?

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 28
- 8/22/2002 7:34:49 AM   
CrushU

Engine explosions are a pain. The reason I take out the head, is because thats the quickest and safest way to quickly take a tos down. (and its kinda fun seeing a headless titan on scanner window, especially if you have no scan and you didnt blow anything else off. You look at it and think "gee, he aint dead yet" then you realize something's wrong with the picture, and notice that it DOESNT HAVE A HEAD.)

Engine explosions are supreme pains, the damage is negligible, as long as you're not using light or recon and you havent been engaged in bloody battle for the last 100 seconds(i.e., all your armor isnt yellow or worse). but the heat... man, the heat is DEATH. Not just cause it shuts yer engine down, it also makes ammo explosions(which RAISE the heat back up), assuming you're packin ammo-using guns.

Although I must admit there are some times where you kill the engine, with no boom (not sure when this happens, seems like it happens when target titan isnt using much power, or is severly disabled but not dead (ie, one side's torso, arm, and leg are gone, but it still has that annoying tesla bolt on the other side.)

and theres something to having an entire black titan (which i did once without exploding the titan once, took forever)

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 29
- 8/23/2002 12:37:13 AM   
whitefirefox

call me nuts but i go for the engine 70-80% of the time :D
besides if your up against a larger force and there all close together that engine explosion is gonna do a hell of alot more damage to the nme team ^^

(in reply to Wraith3k)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Titans of Steel - Warring Suns >> NewB Question Part VII: Improve Home-made Titan Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI