Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Short Pants

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Short Pants Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Short Pants - 6/13/2010 1:02:02 AM   
jomni

The British and Australian fought wearing short pants.
The Japanese too.
But why not the Americans?

Post #: 1
RE: Short Pants - 6/13/2010 1:21:42 AM   
tocaff

They didn't want to scratch their legs.  

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 2
RE: Short Pants - 6/13/2010 1:32:21 AM   
JohnDillworth

probably the only thing they weren't short of at the start of the war

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 3
RE: Short Pants - 6/13/2010 1:39:39 AM   
wdolson

I think some it may have to do with cultural differences.  Americans were less formal in general than those other cultures.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 4
RE: Short Pants - 6/13/2010 1:41:25 AM   
jomni

Hehe.  So short pants are formal tropical wear. 

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 5
RE: Short Pants - 6/13/2010 2:08:31 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

The British and Australian fought wearing short pants.
The Japanese too.
But why not the Americans?

I'm pretty certain that the USN had a short pants uniform, at least for officers. I think it used a pith helmet, and there was a local temperature rating that had to be exceeded to trigger its use. I could look if you're interested.

The Moose

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 6
RE: Short Pants - 6/13/2010 2:51:49 AM   
jomni

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
I'm pretty certain that the USN had a short pants uniform

You mean this one?

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 7
RE: Short Pants - 6/13/2010 4:43:52 AM   
m10bob

Maybe somebody has already done a study of the affects of wearing short garb in razor grass, infested with fire ants, all kinds of poisonous vegetation.
In the environs of southeast Asia where I was "allowed to live" for a bit in the seventies, I wore long pants and long shirts, because of all the above, AND the sun.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 8
RE: Short Pants - 6/13/2010 7:33:53 AM   
bradfordkay

Long, loose cotton pants are preferable in hot, sunny climes. They help prevent sun poisoning - and are better at protecting you from all the nasties that live in the jungle. For one, kunai grass can cause nasty cuts which tend to turn septic in the south Pacific climate. 

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 9
RE: Short Pants - 6/13/2010 7:35:37 AM   
YankeeAirRat

There was until recently an official USN uniform instruction that authorized at regional command word, a pair of shorts for the working white and general utilities uniform. As the working whites were being phased out along with the utilities so were they are being removed from the instructions. I will have to dig it up, but i had pictures of China station and Cavitie sailors standing shore patrol in working whites with shorts on in the summer time. These shorts were locally manufactured from taking the long pants and having the legs tailors to just above knees. Dungarees did not have a short pant option. So as more sailors joined the Navy during the war the option in general usage just phased itself out since most places didn't get warm enough to require or make it worthwhile to have as an option shorts. As for the US Army and US Marine Corps, well as far as I know and have been able to research; they have not had short pant option in their uniform instructions. Most of their uniforms had an ability to breath and work moderately well in warmer climates. So it wasn't something that occurred. Remember even with the territories of Guam, Philippines, and some of the other Micronesia islands; where the major US Army and US Marine bases where, again most of the time the temperatures and size of the bases did not make it a requirement to modify (or even local modify) the uniform instruction. The only exception was the US Marine Corps, some of the territorial units in America Soma had a Sarong as an option for the Samoan Natives, and only Samoan natives were authorized to wear a red sarong with a khaki top that had thier rank stitched on it.

Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 10
RE: Short Pants - 6/13/2010 2:43:07 PM   
wdolson

If you're a sailor and coming into frequent contact with hazardous vegetation, you're either shipwrecked or you've been transferred to the Marines.  

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to YankeeAirRat)
Post #: 11
RE: Short Pants - 6/13/2010 3:59:56 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Maybe somebody has already done a study of the affects of wearing short garb in razor grass, infested with fire ants, all kinds of poisonous vegetation.
In the environs of southeast Asia where I was "allowed to live" for a bit in the seventies, I wore long pants and long shirts, because of all the above, AND the sun.

m10bob is indeed correct. Think about trekking. Some urban dwellers use short pants... the poor things (and legs)... they don't know the nature (brambles, thistles and other nasty plants for your naked legs) "Oh, is that a tree? Really?"

In the jungle it has to be even worse.

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 6/13/2010 4:01:28 PM >

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 12
RE: Short Pants - 6/13/2010 6:43:26 PM   
joliverlay

I think one of the reasons for full clothing on US ships was to minimize burns. The navy did some testing and found that cotton provided better protection than other materials or no cover from steam and heat. I think I read this in Dunnigan's book on the war in the pacific.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 13
RE: Short Pants - 6/13/2010 9:54:10 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

If you're a sailor and coming into frequent contact with hazardous vegetation, you're either shipwrecked or you've been transferred to the Marines.  

Seabees.

The Moose

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 14
RE: Short Pants - 6/13/2010 10:01:23 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: YankeeAirRat

I will have to dig it up, but i had pictures of China station and Cavitie sailors standing shore patrol in working whites with shorts on in the summer time. These shorts were locally manufactured from taking the long pants and having the legs tailors to just above knees. Dungarees did not have a short pant option. So as more sailors joined the Navy during the war the option in general usage just phased itself out since most places didn't get warm enough to require or make it worthwhile to have as an option shorts.

I have to disagree with this. From the official USN hisotry site:

"8. Expansion of Uniform Types; World War II

The global requirements of World War II increased the variety of uniforms available, as well as color proliferations. Shorts, with helmets and open necked shirts were adopted for use in the warm climates of the combat theater. The color of the primary working uniform was officially changed from khaki to slate gray in 1943. Gray was found to be a non-distinctive color better suited for camouflage at sea than khaki. Black lace replaced gold. However, this decision was not favorably received, and gold lace was permitted a few months later. But the officer corps was still not satisfied and ALNAV No. 406 reversed the decision of 1943 and reinstated khakis as the working uniform."

http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/uniform_history.htm#en8

The Moose

(in reply to YankeeAirRat)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Short Pants Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI