Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

War games computer or board games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> War games computer or board games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
War games computer or board games - 6/7/2010 4:21:39 PM   
bo

I am not a board game player and have never really cared for that kind of game most likely because of the problem of getting players together to not only start a game but to finish it, plus the inconvenience of where do I play this game, dining room table, den etc.
and it would seem to me that it would have to be held in one persons home all the time till the game is finished unless you have a way of moving the game and its 50 million pieces to another persons home.[any divorces] This is not a dig its me being amazed by you WIF gamers, really in awe of you. When the AI question came up about having it or not I think Steve was a little stunned by the response of the players overwhelming YES. I have read remarks that the game will only sell to the die hard fans of WIF and they will play the game by PBEM, I am going to disagree with that thought, the reason why is because IMHO the gaming community is hungering for a game that is not in the beer and pretzels range, SC series and others.[not a dig against SC] I admit I like a quick fast game to be over in two nights but after reading all the posts and some of the rules and learning more about this game from CWIF and you seasoned board players of this game I have learned the hard way [inflamatory posts by me] that this is truely a magnificient endeavour by ADG for the board game and Matrix through Steves efforts for MWIF. I believe as I have always believed that a decent AI will open up the game to gamers all over the world who do not prefer PBEM or hot seat or whatever, this is not a comment one way or the other about the AI but just a conjecture of what they the gaming public might want inside of WIF and those who have never seen or heard of this remarkable game outside of WIF players. I am looking forward to the release of this truly remarkable game as is every one else here is, when its ready Steve its ready and not a minute before.

Bo
Post #: 1
RE: War games computer or board games - 6/7/2010 6:06:35 PM   
Extraneous

First you have to realize that most of the ”the Monster Games” came out in the late 1970's before the computer became as common as it is today.

Devorce? How many wives have turned to devorce because of TV Football or Golf programs?

Don't assume that all gamers are male! One of the best wargamers I have met was a female in ROTC. 

JFYI: A Monster Game is a game that requires multiple maps, hundreds of counters, is suited for teams, and requires commitment of a significant amount of time to play.

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 2
RE: War games computer or board games - 6/7/2010 11:16:09 PM   
Patience

Bo,

WiF is and always has been a cutting edge game.  As a board game it played unlike anything of its kind before.  I did play one game, 5th ed. where we wrote down all the locations of every piece so we could set it up to play again at our next meeting which ironically was at a different location.  I can say I'm a big fan of the monsters.  I have most of the games people would think are monsters and others that can be classified as monsters only in certain circumstances.  For example, Longest Day, Flat Top, ASL Historical, and I'm sure others can add numerous games to the list.  All of the monsters do have short scenarios that you can easily fit into an afternoon.  WiF has the Barbarossa scenario that you can easily wrap up in about 4 hours.  I don't get together with friends like I used to to play (We are just to busy with our families) and that's where the appeal of MWiF is.  I'll be able to play the game in its entirety with an AI or with a friend over the internet.  For now I have my sons who love to play and we sit down about once a week so I can KICK their Butts!!

"Time is the greatest teacher... Unfortunately she kills all her students."

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 3
RE: War games computer or board games - 6/8/2010 12:22:56 AM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Patience

Bo,

WiF is and always has been a cutting edge game.  As a board game it played unlike anything of its kind before.  I did play one game, 5th ed. where we wrote down all the locations of every piece so we could set it up to play again at our next meeting which ironically was at a different location.  I can say I'm a big fan of the monsters.  I have most of the games people would think are monsters and others that can be classified as monsters only in certain circumstances.  For example, Longest Day, Flat Top, ASL Historical, and I'm sure others can add numerous games to the list.  All of the monsters do have short scenarios that you can easily fit into an afternoon.  WiF has the Barbarossa scenario that you can easily wrap up in about 4 hours.  I don't get together with friends like I used to to play (We are just to busy with our families) and that's where the appeal of MWiF is.  I'll be able to play the game in its entirety with an AI or with a friend over the internet.  For now I have my sons who love to play and we sit down about once a week so I can KICK their Butts!!

Oh yeah great beating up on 5 and 6 yr olds

Bo

(in reply to Patience)
Post #: 4
RE: War games computer or board games - 6/8/2010 1:26:40 AM   
Patience

No He's 13 and learning.

"Time is the greatest teacher... Unfortunately she kills all her students."

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 5
RE: War games computer or board games - 6/8/2010 2:20:11 PM   
Anendrue

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo

I am not a board game player and have never really cared for that kind of game most likely because of the problem of getting players together to not only start a game but to finish it, plus the inconvenience of where do I play this game, dining room table, den etc.
and it would seem to me that it would have to be held in one persons home all the time till the game is finished unless you have a way of moving the game and its 50 million pieces to another persons home.[any divorces] This is not a dig its me being amazed by you WIF gamers, really in awe of you. When the AI question came up about having it or not I think Steve was a little stunned by the response of the players overwhelming YES. I have read remarks that the game will only sell to the die hard fans of WIF and they will play the game by PBEM, I am going to disagree with that thought, the reason why is because IMHO the gaming community is hungering for a game that is not in the beer and pretzels range, SC series and others.[not a dig against SC] I admit I like a quick fast game to be over in two nights but after reading all the posts and some of the rules and learning more about this game from CWIF and you seasoned board players of this game I have learned the hard way [inflamatory posts by me] that this is truely a magnificient endeavour by ADG for the board game and Matrix through Steves efforts for MWIF. I believe as I have always believed that a decent AI will open up the game to gamers all over the world who do not prefer PBEM or hot seat or whatever, this is not a comment one way or the other about the AI but just a conjecture of what they the gaming public might want inside of WIF and those who have never seen or heard of this remarkable game outside of WIF players. I am looking forward to the release of this truly remarkable game as is every one else here is, when its ready Steve its ready and not a minute before.

Bo

Steve has indicated several times that the AI is a part of his contract and one of the reasons he took the job. In the 2008 WiF annual interview with him, he indicated he has been interested in AI programming since 1976. So I look forward to 34 years worth of AI programming experience.

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 6
RE: War games computer or board games - 6/21/2010 9:15:22 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

Don't assume that all gamers are male! One of the best wargamers I have met was a female in ROTC. 

I need her contact information. She's an anomaly of Cosmic Proportions!  

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> War games computer or board games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI