Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Blown Away

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Blown Away Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Blown Away - 6/3/2010 3:25:49 AM   
zeaqua

I haven’t bought a war game for about 5 years and last year I reinstalled one of my old games (at of respect I won't say which company) and i quickly got burned out of moving 300 pieces over and over again.. So back to WOW. This game caught my attention and I read through all the forums and decided to give it another go. Like others have said the videos are awesome and after couple restarts I was able to get the first two objectives; lol but not as efficient as the video. So for the third try I decided to go at it alone and I thought I was doing very well (mostly luck). What was funny is when I played the old games towards the end you just ignore the last 1/4 and wait for the victory conformation and go on to the next scenario. However the sneaky AI blindsided me and took my bridge crossing away and killed some of my HQ units in the rear! I quickly realized and thrilled that this is not your old war games. Very nice game and thank you for getting my interest back and since I only have time to play against the AI it will keep me paying attention for the whole game!
Post #: 1
RE: Blown Away - 6/3/2010 3:41:50 AM   
Magpius

welcome aboard

(in reply to zeaqua)
Post #: 2
RE: Blown Away - 6/3/2010 4:03:47 AM   
wodin

Welcome from me to...good to see new blood enjoying what is one of the best wargames around.

Blimey I've become a fanboy...

(in reply to Magpius)
Post #: 3
RE: Blown Away - 6/3/2010 11:16:18 AM   
MajFrankBurns

quote:

and i quickly got burned out of moving 300 pieces over and over again.

The new age of wargamers grows lazy.

I remember when pushing 300 counters per turn was rock solid fun fun fun. Spending weekend after weekend in the garage pushing them counters, cuttin up with friends and talking about history and how everyone would be speaking german now if I hada been Hitler.

Many gamers today are just lazy. They want the computer to do just about everything for them and this type of game certainly can and will do that. I prefer playing my games though not just watching them.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4
RE: Blown Away - 6/3/2010 11:18:39 AM   
captskillet

Ahh.......the old days of AH's 'The Longest Day'.............till the cat hurricane hit!!!

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to MajFrankBurns)
Post #: 5
RE: Blown Away - 6/3/2010 11:28:07 AM   
Plodder

quote:

ORIGINAL: MajFrankBurns

quote:

I remember when pushing 300 counters per turn was rock solid fun fun fun. Spending weekend after weekend in the garage pushing them counters, cuttin up with friends and talking about history and how everyone would be speaking german now if I hada been Hitler.

Many gamers today are just lazy. They want the computer to do just about everything for them and this type of game certainly can and will do that. I prefer playing my games though not just watching them.

Not at all. It's horses for courses really. I still get the urge now and then for some old-school wargaming so I'll bust out a Tiller game but if I want to feel like a real commander I'll play this series.

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Post #: 6
RE: Blown Away - 6/3/2010 12:37:31 PM   
DanOppenheim

quote:

This is frankly nonsense, and it's almost offensive. I *play* this game. I put a lot of effort into it. Just as much as I put into other games that require half the time be put into the tiresome, pointless activity of clicking every unit on the map to give them an order. It's an unrealistic droning chore. Computer games that blindly emulate boardgames are missing the point of computers; why not just stick with boardgames? I'd rather get on with the really interesting stuff of examining unit abilities, considering my commanders, organising forces, preparing plans and triggers, observing events and reacting to the enemy and, you know, doing the thing I bought the game for: playing it. Let the computer do the dull stuff and I'll get on with the wargaming.

It's not lazy, it's just expending the effort in a more productive way.

Also, if you think the computer is doing everything for you in BftB then I'd suggest you're doing it wrong.

Post #: 7
RE: Blown Away - 6/3/2010 1:21:37 PM   
zentuit

quote:

quote:

I don't believe it is laziness; I believe you hit on it in your second paragraph

quote:

Pushing around 300 counters with your buddies is fun BECAUSE you cut up, talk and goof off. I don't know about you, but my laptop just sits there when I use a fake German accent; it doesn't even roll its eyes.

Post #: 8
RE: Blown Away - 6/3/2010 3:45:04 PM   
wodin

Major you do like to cause a hoohaa dear boy

(in reply to zentuit)
Post #: 9
RE: Blown Away - 6/3/2010 3:47:27 PM   
wodin

VAT eh....you'd have thought we would have paid of the cost of the Napoleonic War by now wouldn't you...

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 10
RE: Blown Away - 6/3/2010 7:25:53 PM   
MajFrankBurns

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

No I don't I'm just realistic and aged and wiser. These boys today don't know what a real wargame is. They think the computer should do all the playing and they should just be able to be lost in their imaginations and plan and counter plan and dream and go off into the living room while the game runs and come back to it and everything will be just fine. lmao That's just not wargaming to me.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 11
RE: Blown Away - 6/3/2010 7:42:37 PM   
daft

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

No I don't I'm just realistic and aged and wiser. These boys today don't know what a real wargame is. They think the computer should do all the playing and they should just be able to be lost in their imaginations and plan and counter plan and dream and go off into the living room while the game runs and come back to it and everything will be just fine. lmao That's just not wargaming to me.

That is quite the narrow-minded attitude you're flauting there. BftB actually entices you to focus on the plan, making you imagine it in your head before you issue the orders. I'm not quite sure what you claim to be a better wargaming experience, bu in my humble opinion this is right up there with the best of them.

Post #: 12
RE: Blown Away - 6/3/2010 8:58:04 PM   
simovitch

I think MFB has some good points, and he dutifully qualifies his argument with "IMO".

I played AH's TLD and a gajillion others as a kid, and I'm playing 3 Tiller PBEM's as we speak, but I guess I just don't have the energy any more to play the monster UGOIGO move 1 counter at a time wargames. My brother and his GMT/Consim buddies swear by Boardgames and they don't see why anyone would want to play computer wargames (except for vassal conversions of course).

Quite frankly WITE and WITP frightens me. HTTR/COTA/BFTB has the pace and level of realism that makes it my game of choice. I can go check in with the wife during night ops while I 'run until' morning. I have no doubt that this style of gaming has little or no appeal to other wargamers. C'est la vie.

simovitch

(in reply to daft)
Post #: 13
RE: Blown Away - 6/3/2010 10:00:50 PM   
Max 86

quote:

quote:

Shut up ferret face! Hot Lips dumped you because you were a punk. Get over it already.

No problem Chief!

Post #: 14
RE: Blown Away - 6/3/2010 10:06:17 PM   
FredSanford3

Darn right those kids today are lazy. Why, when I was a lad we had to shovel coal into our copy of The Longest Day...

in the snow.

both ways.

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 15
RE: Blown Away - 6/3/2010 10:33:50 PM   
MajFrankBurns

quote:

ORIGINAL: Franklin Nimitz

Darn right those kids today are lazy. Why, when I was a lad we had to shovel coal into our copy of The Longest Day...

in the snow.

both ways.

Man they just don't make Wargamers like that anymore. you forgot uphill though both ways.

(in reply to FredSanford3)
Post #: 16
RE: Blown Away - 6/3/2010 10:53:51 PM   
Plodder

Hmmph, In my day we played Campaign for North Africa in our heads....

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Post #: 17
RE: Blown Away - 6/3/2010 10:54:10 PM   
Vincenzo_Beretta

quote:

I prefer playing my games though not just watching them.

I agree. It is a little bit like walking and driving a car. When you walk you go somewhere. When you sit in a car you watch the landscape through the windows, but you actually are always on the same spot.

This if you forget to turn on the car and drive, of course...

Post #: 18
RE: Blown Away - 6/3/2010 10:57:41 PM   
DanOppenheim

quote:

No I don't I'm just realistic and aged and wiser. These boys today don't know what a real wargame is.

Arrogance coupled with patronising isn't clever, nor does it reflect well.
quote:

They think the computer should do all the playing and they should just be able to be lost in their imaginations and plan and counter plan and dream and go off into the living room while the game runs and come back to it and everything will be just fine. lmao That's just not wargaming to me.

Like I said earlier, none of that is true. You can't just leave the game and let it run. It might be fine, if you're lucky, just as it might be fine in real life. Ninety nine times out of a hundred you'll be screwed. You should try getting some experience before holding an opinion.

Post #: 19
RE: Blown Away - 6/3/2010 10:59:47 PM   
Llyranor

quote:

I'm just realistic

But perhaps the games you play aren't!

Post #: 20
RE: Blown Away - 6/3/2010 11:21:43 PM   
MajFrankBurns

quote:

ORIGINAL: Llyranor

quote:

I'm just realistic

But perhaps the games you play aren't!

Ummm no "games" will ever be realistic bright eyes. They are games nothing is ever real about them.

(in reply to Llyranor)
Post #: 21
RE: Blown Away - 6/3/2010 11:50:49 PM   
daft

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanO

Like I said earlier, none of that is true. You can't just leave the game and let it run. It might be fine, if you're lucky, just as it might be fine in real life. Ninety nine times out of a hundred you'll be screwed. You should try getting some experience before holding an opinion.

You could if had been a game where you spent six weeks preparing for the first turn, making crucial decision like deciding on what breakfast your sex million frontline chits will be served on the morning turn resolution. Then you go to bed and let the game do its thing and you can read the breakfast reports when you wake up. Then it is time to spend six months issuing move orders for the chits and watch them go at a whopping one hex at a time for the next six years of you life! When your son, aged 6 at the time of purchase of the hex-based game, moves out of the house you realize that you've only played half a day in game time, but it really doesn't matter since its time to buy a new computer and you find out that the game won't run on any OS that is older than 10 years.

Tongue in cheek of course.

(in reply to DanOppenheim)
Post #: 22
RE: Blown Away - 6/4/2010 1:24:24 AM   
Larac

That is Campaign of North Africa~!

You kept track of water for Italians to make pasta, among others, at least I think that was the game, weighed about 15lbs as I remember.

Lee

(in reply to daft)
Post #: 23
RE: Blown Away - 6/4/2010 12:05:18 PM   
PirateJock

Hi MFB - you ever play Campaign for North Africa?

Post #: 24
RE: Blown Away - 6/4/2010 12:43:49 PM   
eMonticello

I suspect the CfNA counter number is too small for MFB. He's probably more interested in the 1,600-counter Monster game, Dunnigan's Wacht Am Rhein, that only requires 10 hours to play (according to the box), although I suggest dedicating an entire weekend to finishing it.

< Message edited by eMonticello -- 6/4/2010 12:44:50 PM >

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example. -- Pudd'nhead Wilson

(in reply to PirateJock)
Post #: 25
RE: Blown Away - 6/4/2010 1:04:19 PM   
hgilmer3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Franklin Nimitz

in the snow.

both ways.

Ohhhhh, we used to DREEAMMM of having a copy of The Longest Day! It would have been a looxury to us! We had to play with buttons and individual pieces of Capt'n Crunch cereal!

(in reply to FredSanford3)
Post #: 26
RE: Blown Away - 6/4/2010 1:36:23 PM   
Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: simovitch

I think MFB has some good points, and he dutifully qualifies his argument with "IMO".

I think MFB, who only started posting here at Matrix in May, with no game in particular in mind, just wants to have a chat now and then.

It's a shame as his post here quashed the OP's very nice take on wargaming. I do hope the OP posts again.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 27
RE: Blown Away - 6/4/2010 1:46:25 PM   
Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: hgilmer3

Ohhhhh, we used to DREEAMMM of having a copy of The Longest Day! It would have been a looxury to us! We had to play with buttons and individual pieces of Capt'n Crunch cereal!

LOL!

And btw, you guys may know that GMT has recently released its version of the longest day with The Battle for Normandy.

Battalion scale with 5 maps etc etc

Attachment (1)

(in reply to hgilmer3)
Post #: 28
RE: Blown Away - 6/4/2010 2:14:18 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanO

Computer games that blindly emulate boardgames are missing the point of computers; why not just stick with boardgames?

I agree completely.

But, if you eliminated all the computer wargames that emulate boardgames, there'd be only a handful remining, perhaps most prominent among them the AA games.

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to DanOppenheim)
Post #: 29
RE: Blown Away - 6/4/2010 2:23:47 PM   
PirateJock

My D-Day bookshelf would collapse with that, Longest Day and Atlantic Wall ... think I'll wait for the computer version to come out.

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Blown Away Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI