Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Favourite Jock Race

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Titans of Steel - Warring Suns >> Favourite Jock Race Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Favourite Jock Race - 7/27/2002 10:37:19 PM   
Korgmeister

I'm interested in finding out what 'Races' of jocks you generally use as titan pilots.

Personally, I like Androids the best. They're rugged like Cyborgs, and they get a boost to Reaction, which is my favourite stat.

I also like having my team led by an Android named Bob, merely because I am odd like that.

I pretty much never use Replicants. Sure it's nice to get the stat boosts early on, but they ultimately prove too fragile to be much good as pilots in the long term.

Korgmeister - Mad scientist of pessimistic ToS design and unluckiest ToS player in history.

Please note that all comments that any weapon, design, tactic etc are better are: FROM AN ENTIRELY SUBJECTIVE POINT OF VIEW and should be recieved in such light
Post #: 1
Re: Favourite Jock Race - 7/27/2002 11:42:04 PM   
Bernd Hesberg

This whole topic relates very much to your personal playing style, and how you like to balance your team.

[QUOTE]Personally, I like Androids the best. They're rugged like Cyborgs, and they get a boost to Reaction, which is my favourite stat.[/QUOTE]Obviously you've had some bad experience with NBs, but wait until your Androids suffer from head hits and have to get back to full health. You will have to seek a safe place for them anywhere in the rear area.
[QUOTE]I pretty much never use Replicants. Sure it's nice to get the stat boosts early on, but they ultimately prove too fragile to be much good as pilots in the long term. [/QUOTE]Have you ever tried to put a Replicant-I in a missile boat? I think every full grown team needs at least one or two of them. They can be your early matchwinners.

(in reply to Korgmeister)
Post #: 2
- 8/16/2002 7:58:01 PM   
Korgmeister

Neutron blasters are a factor. That and the fact that when I am playing ToS I instantly turn into the most unlucky person in the history of mankind.

E.g: Enemy fires first shot - it's barely got the 25% CoS the AI needs before it opens fire. Hits me straight in the head, causing pilot damage, and thus lowering all my skills checks for Aaages!

Times like that, I need all the hit points I can get.

Any by a missile boat, you mean Guided Missiles? Quoth the Raven: Guh?! I can see GMs being useful on a Med/Large titan frame, but on a Recon/Small they're just no good. I've never been able to construct a GM based design that could pull it's own weight as anything more than a scout.

Korgmeister - Mad scientist of pessimistic ToS design and unluckiest ToS player in history.

Please note that all comments that any weapon, design, tactic etc are better are: FROM AN ENTIRELY SUBJECTIVE POINT OF VIEW and should be recieved in such light

Post #: 3
- 8/16/2002 9:31:47 PM   
Bernd Hesberg

[QUOTE] Any by a missile boat, you mean Guided Missiles? Quoth the Raven: Guh?! I can see GMs being useful on a Med/Large titan frame, but on a Recon/Small they're just no good. I've never been able to construct a GM based design that could pull it's own weight as anything more than a scout.[/QUOTE] Yep, GMs because of three reasons. They have the longest range, you don't really need direct LOS, and the penalty to hit a dodging enemy is smaller. In the light titan class there's the 'Mirage II' worth giving it a try, and as a heavy titan I'd suggest the 'Bombardier'.

As I said before, it depends on your personal preference. Of course you have to stay out of harms way with a missile boat. But you can take care of anyone approaching before he gets close enough. And don't forget to use *effective* team tactics, that means concentrate your fire and switch to the next target as soon as the first is significantly damaged (e.g. lost a leg or a side torso). Using every available cover goes without saying!

Post #: 4
- 8/17/2002 3:34:54 AM   
LarkinVB

Wait for the new short range GME missiles in WS. They are giving
guided missille boats some punch at short range too.

E does stand for energy emission seeking ....

Post #: 5
- 8/17/2002 5:26:15 AM   
Bernd Hesberg

[QUOTE]Wait for the new short range GME missiles in WS.[/QUOTE] Yes, of course we're waiting, not that much for GMEs but rather for the game in general!
Sorry, couldn't resist.... :)

Post #: 6
- 8/17/2002 7:22:02 AM   
rosary

During a recent 4 way large team game I was involved in with the latest TOS:Warring Suns beta.
We all developed a healthy fear of missile titans and GME titans were especially terrifying.

The nice/bad thing about large team games is that when 4-5 enemies are locked target on one of your titans or vice versa, you might as well just say the last rites for it.

Post #: 7
- 8/17/2002 1:11:55 PM   
Korgmeister

OK, well I might give it a try at some point.

Now when you say you don't meen direct line of sight, you mean you can still fire at them when their hex is marked with an X, right? Or through scanner links or something?

Admittedly I am not much for sneaking around. Usually I like to be out in the open, with alot of room to move about. Run, shoot doge, run shoot dodge.

That or just charge straight for 'em shouting "Baanzaaai!" and laying into them with the flame throwers and power axes.

Post #: 8
- 8/17/2002 6:13:14 PM   
Bernd Hesberg

Rosary,

do I understand this right. Are you currently checking the new weapons and try to balance them? And are there any counter measures available? If there's any tiny bit of information you would share .....

Korgmeister,

with GMs you're able to fire at any titan that is visible, directly or via scanner link and even if its hex is marked with X. Of course, you need to develop the skill 'indirect fire' to a decent level, so that the penalties for your chances to hit won't be too big. And also don't forget 'recon' to keep your scanner link stable.

One word regarding your habit of running across open plains. Your chances of success might be much better, if you spot the enemy before he spots you. I've found this to be true for every game where you are supposed to fight.
But you're entitled to play it the way you like, although I've never heard that any titan stood frozen in fear when a warcry was shouted. ;)

Post #: 9
- 8/17/2002 6:57:45 PM   
Thorgrim

Couple of things. Indirect Fire skill also applies to LRM missile boats, it's just not as effective as for GMs. In fact it applies to all missiles. Also, the GM modifier is dependent on speed, not just dodging. That means they're also more efficient against running and jumping titans.
LRMs, however, have more punch.

Height is your best friend when trying to spot without being spotted.

Iceman

Post #: 10
- 8/19/2002 8:05:29 PM   
Korgmeister

I always chuck heaps of points into recon, it's the easist way to get OXP.

Anyway, when I saw 'open plains' I will usually go for wooded plains rather. Usually the one to do this is my heavily armoured CC titan charmingly name 'Bait'.

Once the enemy has exposed themselves to take some pot-shots at 'Bait' my other titans with long range weaponry will jack-in-the-box and see about making short work of the enemy titan.

'Bait' closes in and finishes off with a flurry of Power Axes and Flame Throwers. By this time, the snipers are carving up the next nearest target, which Bait will charge as soon as the first is disabled.

Lather, rinse, repeat. I've found it works quite effectively against the AI at least.

Post #: 11
- 8/20/2002 12:22:09 AM   
PrinceCorrin

I'm not much of a missile user. I do love GMs though, and usually have a GM boat in my team. I like a balance of cannon titans and CCs. Usually mediums for that, and a heavy for the missile boat.

I see your lips moving, but all I hear is: Blah Blah Blah, I'm a friggin moron.

Post #: 12
- 8/22/2002 7:18:35 AM   
CrushU

My favorite jock race is Replicant D. Dexterity applies to a LOT of skills, and its easy way to get high skills for not much dp. (in case you havent noticed, if you start higher in an attribute, it takes less dp to get it up to higher levels) not sure of exact numbers, but it seems that when you got two starting skills at 12 and 10, it takes same amount of dp to increase on of those up by one rank, e.g. they'd both take 23. (im pulling numbers out of my head, im not sure 23 is right number)

As for fighting style... I LOVE CC+MGs. The Piranha titan(medium) makes short work out of any titan it gets into range with. Usually, by the time you can use medium titan, you have decent cannon skill, so you'll hit with one of those 9 mgs at max range. That makes em fall (if you get lucky) and if it doesnt, it softens em up. Once I'm at point blank, i proceed to target ALL mgs on the head (again, ONE out of nine is gonna hit, 4sec reload... dead in maybe 20secs :)) and just go wild with the chain saws. There are two problems in this, one is that it heats up rather quick, and NM/Flamethrower will cut down its effectiveness, the other one is the off chance that you kill the center torso with one of those chain saws. While not much worry about dmg(its a medium titan, as long as it didnt blow up a heavy titan, it should be ok) the heat goes through the roof.

I've only been defeated by tesla bolts, using this style. Usually, as a backup titan, i employ NM/Flamethrower to discourage quick firing of tesla's. (Unfortuneatly, the AI got smart and aimed at the NM titan first, and took its head off with a lucky tesla bolt :/)

Missles have their place as the only weapons that can shoot across the field(if you can see that far). (I) Use them as sniping weapons, and as annoyances for the enemies who LONG to put a couple of AC20's in them, but can't because of the Piranha eating away at them. And, it's always good to soften enemies up before the piranha gets there. :D

Post #: 13
- 8/22/2002 10:19:39 AM   
Bernd Hesberg

[QUOTE]My favorite jock race is Replicant D. Dexterity applies to a LOT of skills, and its easy way to get high skills for not much dp. (in case you havent noticed, if you start higher in an attribute, it takes less dp to get it up to higher levels) not sure of exact numbers, but it seems that when you got two starting skills at 12 and 10, it takes same amount of dp to increase on of those up by one rank, e.g. they'd both take 23. (im pulling numbers out of my head, im not sure 23 is right number)[/QUOTE] Regarding attribute development I can't agree with what you said. How much DPs you need depends on the race, gender and the attribute you want to raise. Here's an example: raising each attribute from 10 to 12 will cost the following DPs for a male Replicant D
Intelligence 41, Neural Sense 32, Reaction 32, Instinct 41, Dexterity 25, Constitution 25, Charisma 32

If you want to calculate other examples, try using my excel sheet. You can find it in this thread
[URL=http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&goto=lastpost&threadid=24452]Unnatural aging of jocks[/URL]

Post #: 14
- 8/23/2002 1:54:12 AM   
Thorgrim

Ok, about development, here's how it goes. In v1.4 there's 2 "levels" of attributes, Int/Ins/Dex and Neu/Rea/Con/Cha, the first being harder to develop than the second. The latest version of tables.xls already has this. This is then modified by race and gender, by moving up or down in the table one or two rows, depending on racial/sex mod.

About the best attribute, Dex is surely very useful, though Rea is also very important in actual combat.

The Piranha, yes, it is a killer :) It heats up rather quick, that's right, but then it kills very quickly too. You just have to watch your heat, cause the MGs do double damage but also double heat at point blank. And at point blank you have the CSs to rip the target apart. Notice that it has a very good computer and scanner to be able to call shots. You don't have to go for the engine, unless you're playing a duel - in that case it doesn't matter. The head is usually the best option, as it'll grant you additional money, and good salvage.
I would say you can "cheat" against a tesla (or any other weapon), but I'm not going to cause PC is listening :)

Iceman

Post #: 15
- 8/23/2002 3:44:33 AM   
CrushU

Bernd, as I said, I was just pulling numbers out of my head. It got the point across though.

Thor, you're right about the computer/scanner. I did a called shot one hex away with mgs. :) BTW, I noticed something when I did that called shot, I got an extra -2 penalty on it... something to with range?

Post #: 16
- 8/24/2002 5:41:20 AM   
Thorgrim

Of course I'm right, I designed the damned beast :)

You're right about the penalty, it's range related. -2% per hex for cannons, -1% for energy weapons.

Iceman

Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Titans of Steel - Warring Suns >> Favourite Jock Race Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI