Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Price?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: Price? Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 4:15:30 PM   
Erik Rutins

tgb,

As I've said before, each game has its own business model and its own development costs. It's not apples to apples even within our catalog and once you go outside this niche market making comparisons is almost impossible.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to tgb)
Post #: 181
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 4:25:30 PM   
ElchDivision

[/quote]
Panther Games the best? I don't think so, best at what? Sales? No. The problem I see is this. They claim to have the best AI, but have no demo for this game. They make a game that has been done to death, how many times can you fight the battle of the Bulge? You have to sell better than that. I've worked in retail my whole life it's a give and take business. $80 is to much for this game, for what you get out of it. If it was all about the Western front, then maybe, but for one battle at the end of the war in which the Germans had no chance at all to win seems a bit much. Also I see this game is already having issues with CTD's.
[/quote]

Even if I have not posted here before I have been playing wargames boad and PC based for around 25 years. I can honestly state that COTA was one of the best wargames I have ever played. As I have played COTA I can assume that BOTB wont be worse. So I do not need a demo. Its probably even better, so why do people moan so much? I can understand that "not having the money" is a problem. So some people wont be able to buy and I feel sorry for them.
As to the other people, why continue moaning? You have the choice - buy it or leave it. This thread is exploding with statements like this.
If you want the game buy it, if you cant buy it because of your financial situation save up for it (thats what I do when I am broke). If you dont like the setting, buy another game. Its quite simple realy.
But all this moaning about a perfectly good product just because you are pissed off about the price .....

Just my opinion.

Best regards,

Rob

http://www.gilgenbachs-eifel.com/wk2
Rest peacefully in foreign soil - Never forgotten

(in reply to axisandallies)
Post #: 182
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 4:32:30 PM   
GoodGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: axisandallies

Panther Games the best? I don't think so, best at what? Sales? No. The problem I see is this. They claim to have the best AI, but have no demo for this game. They make a game that has been done to death, how many times can you fight the battle of the Bulge? You have to sell better than that. I've worked in retail my whole life it's a give and take business. $80 is to much for this game, for what you get out of it. If it was all about the Western front, then maybe, but for one battle at the end of the war in which the Germans had no chance at all to win seems a bit much. Also I see this game is already having issues with CTD's.

AI:
You don't sound like someone who owns any installment of the series. The AI is truly amazing, and it's beyond me why military instructors have not picked up this engine yet, as it's really worth to be considered by West Point and the like, it's that good. Like Dave said, they must be really conservative when it comes to new tools and techniques for military education (on an operational level, even though sims are being used on a tactical level for years now).

DEMO:
A demo is on the works. Actually, it makes sense to base the demo on the final retail version, and not on a beta candidate, which may lead some ppl to wrong conclusions regarding stability or say functionality. Some major companies release demos prior to or with the release version, but we're talking about big companies who can afford this kind of time/finance management. With such companies, sometimes even additional programmers take care of working on a stripped Demo version, or the devs update the multiplayer demos via their update servers. Panther does not have that infrastructure.

REPLAYABILITY:
In case the inclusion of the editor isn't just a myth, there's a chance that you see plenty of scenarios (well, depending on sales figures I guess), so it won't be like the Bulge scenarios would have to be played over and over.
But even if that would be the case, the impressive AI still garantuees a high replay value, even when loading savegames, as the AI will reassess the situation continuously, means results/outcomes may vary each time you decide to load up a savegame. The enemy AI is anything than predictable.

I've created a scenario for HTTR and while playtesting the scenario my own scenario, I encountered totally different outcomes quite a few times, even THOUGH I knew the objectives of both sides. This engine tops anything regarding replayability and quality of the AI.

I advise to do some research or play one installment of the series first, before you emit such kinda rant.

Cheers

< Message edited by GoodGuy -- 5/27/2010 4:52:20 PM >

"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

Post #: 183
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 4:40:20 PM   
vj531

ElchDivision and GoodGuy

two good replies to a very stupid poster

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 184
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 4:47:15 PM   
axisandallies

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElchDivision

Even if I have not posted here before I have been playing wargames boad and PC based for around 25 years. I can honestly state that COTA was one of the best wargames I have ever played. As I have played COTA I can assume that BOTB wont be worse. So I do not need a demo. Its probably even better, so why do people moan so much? I can understand that "not having the money" is a problem. So some people wont be able to buy and I feel sorry for them.
As to the other people, why continue moaning? You have the choice - buy it or leave it. This thread is exploding with statements like this.
If you want the game buy it, if you cant buy it because of your financial situation save up for it (thats what I do when I am broke). If you dont like the setting, buy another game. Its quite simple realy.
But all this moaning about a perfectly good product just because you are pissed off about the price .....

Just my opinion.

Best regards,

Rob

I would like to try before I buy, thats why, it's not rocket science....I don't know you...you could just be saying that, just to be saying something. However to claim to be the best and not put out a demo...well thats my point. Buy it or leave it, if this is the company's mission statement they won't be around for long.

Stupid rebellion, anyhow....D. Vader

(in reply to ElchDivision)
Post #: 185
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 4:48:15 PM   
axisandallies

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharper

ElchDivision and GoodGuy

wow this is getting personal aye?

(in reply to vj531)
Post #: 186
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 4:51:11 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharper

No personal attacks please, it's against the forum rules and will not end well if continued.

Please keep it civil everyone. I'd also like to ask those who have already expressed their opinion in full to please not repeat it, every post here is being read.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to vj531)
Post #: 187
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 4:52:29 PM   
axisandallies

quote:

ORIGINAL: GoodGuy

quote:

AI:
You don't sound like someone who owns any installment of the series. The AI is truly amazing, and it's beyond me why military instructors have not picked up this engine yet, as it's really worth to be considered by West Point and the like, it's that good. Like Dave said, they must be really conservative when it comes to new tools and techniques for military education (on an operational level, even though sims are being used on a tactical level for years now).

DEMO:
A demo is on the works. Actually, it makes sense to base the demo on the final retail version, and not on a beta candidate, which may lead some ppl to wrong conclusions regarding stability or say functionality. Some major companies release demos prior to or with the release version, but we're talking about big companies who can afford this kind of time/finance management. With such companies, sometimes even additional programmers take care of working on a stripped Demo version, or the devs update the multiplayer demos via their update servers. Panther does not have that infrastructure.

REPLAYABILITY:
In case the inclusion of the editor isn't just a myth, there's a chance that you see plenty of scenarios (well, depending on sales figures I guess), so it won't be like the Bulge scenarios would have to be played over and over.
But even if that would be the case, the impressive AI still garantuees a high replay value, even when loading savegames, as the AI will reassess the situation contuously, means results/outcomes may vary each time you decide to load up a savegame. The enemy AI is anything than predictable.

I've created a scenario for HTTR and while playtesting the scenario my own scenario, I encountered totally different outcomes quite a few times, even THOUGH I knew the objectives of both sides. This engine tops anything regarding replayability and quality of the AI.

I advise to do some research or play one installment of the series first, before you emit such kinda rant.

Cheers

I don't think I was ranting, but you are. You can only do scenarios on the western front (so far) and for that time period. You have missed my point. I want a demo, I don't think I can say it in english any better, I admit my engllish is not so well.

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 188
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 4:55:44 PM   
ElchDivision

Axis,

try COTA, you wont be dissappointed.
As to the rest i just cant stand this "if they had modeled the whole of the western Front I would have bought it" opinion.

"Wenn der Hund nicht geschissen hätte"....

It stil sums up to "buy it, buy it later or leave it".

Regards from the Reich

Rob

Post #: 189
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 5:06:25 PM   
Titus

Well, I just spent my euros to buy this. Rare things cost and quality things cost. Rare AND quality things cost even more. For the most of the people this additional cost of few euros/dollars after waiting years for release is negligible, so I presume it must be more about the principle.

But I am more than happy to support the cause, because I really want to see more games like this. I am so spoiled with the command and control of this system, so that I can't play other wargames. Best of luck and thank you very much for Panthergames and I really,really hope that this gets enough revenue for you to continue your excellent work.

Btw, Bulge also works fine with my Macbook Pro (Snow Leopard,Parallels 5), just started the tutorial!

Post #: 190
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 5:07:11 PM   
GoodGuy

quote:

I would like to try before I buy, thats why, it's not rocket science....I don't know you...

Understandable. Still, I don't think it's necessary to drop in wild assumptions (about the quality of the AI or the replayability of any of the installments) that are totally unfounded. You can discuss or complain about the price, you can complain about the fact that there is no demo available on release date (again, it's been said that there will a demo soon), but you should either buy the game or read some reviews about the previous installments (I recommend one or another review authored by Tim Stone btw , very enlightening) before you insinuate the game carries major deficiencies (you can't even reproduce the CTD reported in the tech forum, since you don't have the game).

< Message edited by GoodGuy -- 5/27/2010 5:08:51 PM >

"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

Post #: 191
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 5:17:44 PM   
axisandallies

quote:

ORIGINAL: GoodGuy

quote:

I would like to try before I buy, thats why, it's not rocket science....I don't know you...

Understandable. Still, I don't think it's necessary to drop in wild assumptions (about the quality of the AI or the replayability of any of the installments) that are totally unfounded. You can discuss or complain about the price, you can complain about the fact that there is no demo available on release date (again, it's been said that there will a demo soon), but you should either buy the game or read some reviews about the previous installments (I recommend one or another review authored by Tim Stone btw , very enlightening) before you insinuate the game carries major deficiencies (you can't even reproduce the CTD reported in the tech forum, since you don't have the game).

I would like to read a review about this game, but can't find one. I never said this game carries major deficiencies, I said they claim to have the best AI.....It's true I can't reproduce CTD's but I sure can read about them!!! Anyway I will wait for the demo, If I like it I will buy it. For the price they arre asking, I would have thought they would release a demo with it, just makes sense to me that's all.

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 192
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 5:36:39 PM   
Seydlitz69

Wheres the problem with the Editor? Within this timeframe there could be
scenarios like the Battle for Huertgen Forest or battles for Aachen, Operation Nordwind etc.. I think the Editor will greatly enhance the replayability.

Post #: 193
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 5:40:43 PM   
ElchDivision

Not to forget the battles in the Harz Mountains in 1945. Would be nice if I could play around with Sturmbatallion AOK 11 in which my grandfather served. ooooooooh the possibilities !!!!

(in reply to Seydlitz69)
Post #: 194
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 5:41:23 PM   
beatoangelico

quote:

I would also note again that this is not our new overall pricing strategy as a publisher, this is just the pricing for this particular game.

I certainly hope so. Sadly this one was the game I was looking forward.

quote:

just to answer to all the similar posts...my cash reserves are limited, and my free time is not infinite. I have all the rights to complain about the price since it's the only thing can really keeps me from buying. Just like the publisher has all the rights to say "it is the way it is".
If someone doesn't understand what's the problem it's good for them, since they probably have more money than me. But I don't see the need of posts like this one.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 195
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 5:52:40 PM   
ElchDivision

quote:

ORIGINAL: beatoangelico

quote:

I would also note again that this is not our new overall pricing strategy as a publisher, this is just the pricing for this particular game.

quote:

just to answer to all the similar posts...my cash reserves are limited, and my free time is not infinite. I have all the rights to complain about the price since it's the only thing can really keeps me from buying. Just like the publisher has all the rights to say "it is the way it is".
If someone doesn't understand what's the problem it's good for them, since they probably have more money than me. But I don't see the need of posts like this one.

Thats what I meant. You dont have the money, I am very sorry for that and I dont want to be rude. But complaining does not help anybody. If its 20 Euros above your "limit" , save up for it. Smoke 3 boxes of fags less, buy cheap cornflakes instead of Keloggs for a month - its easy. We are not talking about software priced 1000s of Euros.
If someone does not have the money its one thing, but saving up rather than complaining makes it a lot easier.

(in reply to beatoangelico)
Post #: 196
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 6:07:55 PM   
Seydlitz69

Couldnt agree more Elch.

Post #: 197
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 6:14:56 PM   
Sti

Hmm... this is a tough one. I've often thought that I would gladly pay a lot more money for selected games. For games that I know are awesome and that I would play a lot.

But! This game doesn't fall into this category. I'm sure it's a great game and I would have bought it on impulse just because it sounds good, even if it turned out that in the end I didn't like it that much. (I own the previous games of the series). But not for this price.

The question now is: How many people are like me and how many people are "hardcore" enough to buy it anyway? I don't know. If you, Matrix, know the answer to that and did the pricing according to that info, then fine. Otherwise you might become quite unhappy with the number of sales.

Myself, I feel a bit disappointed. Which might be irrational, considering you possibly saved me from buying something I wouldn't actually use that much, but still... I really would have liked to try the game.

Post #: 198
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 6:15:52 PM   
axisandallies

quote:

Not to forget the battles in the Harz Mountains in 1945. Would be nice if I could play around with Sturmbatallion AOK 11 in which my grandfather served. ooooooooh the possibilities !!!!

Hmmm...My grandfather was in the 32nd Infantry Division, 94th Infantry regiment , Company D. 17 in 1939 and 27 when the Russians let him go. Off subject I know, but what division was he in?

Post #: 199
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 6:16:17 PM   
Grell

I was looking forward to this game but that price dove me off, I'll never pay that much.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 200
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 6:21:34 PM   
wodin

I think it's mainly us UK buyers who are feeling it...£73 is a hell of alot of money....

IF I could afford the game I'd buy it...I'd think it was alot of money but I'd still purchase the game because I know it will be one of the highlights of my wargaming hobby......you see in no way can I afford £73 for a game....its way above my disposable income (I'm a single parent who is disabled and have to rely on benefits)...I struggle finding the money for your average priced game as it is....if your lucky enough to be able to spend £73 and be able to play a game I've been looking forward to for the last three years, then please be a little more sympathetic to those of us who literally can't afford it.

I'm not doubting its worth the money...its just upsetting I've been priced out.

< Message edited by wodin -- 5/27/2010 6:22:35 PM >

(in reply to Seydlitz69)
Post #: 201
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 6:38:48 PM   
Howard7x

I have been following this game from the start, checking the forum every week. I dont tend to say too much or post much, but im always here in the background. In fact it was almost 2 years ago since I posted the topic of which book to buy in preperation for the game lol! It looks well worth the wait I must admit, but...

I never thought id be sat here wanting a game so badly but refusing to pay such a steep price. Im afraid im going to have to give this a miss. Im absoloutely gutted. The price is too steep, the development time and the amount of detail does not matter in a market where there are ALOT of games which have just as much play time (im not just counting wargames). You have, in my opinion (of which im entitled to before you all jump me) priced one heck of alot of people out of purchasing a game which is already in a very small market of wargaming. I just dont get it. Im really dissapointed, guess I will have to wait another year for another fantastic Matrix xmas sale! lol 

"In times of peace, a good general is preparing for war" - Gaius Julius Ceasar

(in reply to MajFrankBurns)
Post #: 202
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 6:47:12 PM   
Ron

In my mind this is gouging long time customers pure and simple, regardless of the justifications about development costs, research etc, which to me sound a little manufactured anyways. To use an example -

Not too long ago, I guided a long time wargamer back into the fold with Combat Mission ShockForce and its modules and had to talk about value, costs etc; that was an easy sell compared to this! For $70 you got the base game plus the two modules which included the Marine and British forces, several new scenarios and campaigns, scenario and map editor and literally hundreds of hours of gameplay. I argued development costs because of the research and artist work into new units and the new animations in a 3D environment, plus the continual development of the base engine included with the upgrades.

With BFTB there is no such thing at $80! It's the same base modified engine from HTTR and COTA, and this battle is probably the easiest to research since it's been done so many times. How will this appeal to anyone other than the hardcore wargamers? From comments here, even many wargamers and fans of the series are alienated. Sure if you want it, you will buy it regardless that's a strawman argument. I don't get this pricing other than to milk the customers. Count this wargamer out as well.

< Message edited by Ron -- 5/27/2010 6:57:01 PM >

(in reply to Howard7x)
Post #: 203
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 6:48:36 PM   
MajFrankBurns

Don't forget Howard matrixgames doesn't usually put their premium games up on the xmas sale the year of release. So, you might be looking at xmas sale of 2011 before you see this one with a 25% discount which at $80 isn't very much in fact haha it's exactly $20 which would just put it back to what it should have sold for in the first place. lmao what a marketing strategy. No real sale at all just a chance to hopefully finally get it for the full retail price before the price gouging extra $20.

(in reply to Howard7x)
Post #: 204
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 6:49:19 PM   
Mac_MatrixForum

Disclaimer, I just made the purchase and I'm downloading now. Just a couple thoughts came to my mind.

I can understand the price seems high for some people but what is it really? I consider it like 55 euros for the game (usual price for new games around here) and then the extra 20 euros (of which some goes to VAT) is a small thanks for making these games. Maybe it buys someone a beer or two which I would buy anyway if I met any of the developers in person . I know it doesn't go to some big corporation jackass. Beer offer will stand if you sometime come to Finland regardless of the price of the game .

Such games as this series don't really exist anywhere else and I don't see any problem supporting the developers when they make games that are as fascinating. When they can offer it for less price they will. Isn't it more important to all of us that they keep making the games and updates?

My 2 euro cents. Please Dave, write some technical article about the engine behind the game. Some technical details would be most interesting.

Markku "Macroz" Rontu
"Understanding is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth." - Captain John J. Sheridan, Babylon 5

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 205
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 6:53:35 PM   
beatoangelico

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: beatoangelico

quote:

quote:

Thats what I meant. You dont have the money, I am very sorry for that and I dont want to be rude. But complaining does not help anybody. If its 20 Euros above your "limit" , save up for it. Smoke 3 boxes of fags less, buy cheap cornflakes instead of Keloggs for a month - its easy. We are not talking about software priced 1000s of Euros.
If someone does not have the money its one thing, but saving up rather than complaining makes it a lot easier.

I complain because I want that Matrix knows that could grab someone on the sidelines of the wargaming like me and they didn't because of the price. No matter how much the devs or the users point that this is a game for the grogs to justify the price, I don't get it and I still think it would be a very good introductory wargame. I'm embittered because I think it's a wasted opportunity. Maybe I'm delusional. Maybe not.
And btw, cheap cornflakes suck

Post #: 206
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 6:55:42 PM   
Howard7x

If they had sold it for $20 less they would have ALREADY had alot more sales jusdging by this thread which would have offset the lower price tag, so I still stand by my point. Higher price tag, less people buying it, probably balances out the profit to be honest, but you have less people playing it. Doesnt make sense to me at all.

"In times of peace, a good general is preparing for war" - Gaius Julius Ceasar

(in reply to Mac_MatrixForum)
Post #: 207
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 7:00:07 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

I think it's mainly us UK buyers who are feeling it...£73 is a hell of alot of money....

IF I could afford the game I'd buy it...I'd think it was alot of money but I'd still purchase the game because I know it will be one of the highlights of my wargaming hobby......you see in no way can I afford £73 for a game....its way above my disposable income (I'm a single parent who is disabled and have to rely on benefits)...I struggle finding the money for your average priced game as it is....if your lucky enough to be able to spend £73 and be able to play a game I've been looking forward to for the last three years, then please be a little more sympathetic to those of us who literally can't afford it.

I'm not doubting its worth the money...its just upsetting I've been priced out.

Wodin

I can't help but think it's not just the fact that's it's priced out of your range - but the same reason I won't buy it. You and I have similar buying and playing tendencies...we buy and play and move on...£73 (whether you afford it or not) is alot of money for a game you know and I know will not play solidly for much longer than a few weeks.

Well - you know yourself better than I do - but I thought we had a similar gaming makeup, that's all.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 208
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 7:01:20 PM   
loyalcitizen

Do European gamers want a discount? Follow these steps:

1. Get a Paypal acct (free)
2. Deposit $80 USD
3. Click "Buy Now" on BftB site and enter the USA store
4. Pay using Paypal
5. Save a lot of money (Euros still worth more than dollars)
6. Download and enjoy

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 209
RE: Price? - 5/27/2010 7:15:54 PM   
SuluSea

It pains me to say this because I like Matrix so much but it seems on me that more and more games are being released here that I say wow when I see the price or details.

Across the Dnper 2 is too much considering I have to buy the first one as well. I don't own any of the series BFTB engine was based on and was planning on getting this title today but once I saw the price I can safely say I won't download the demo nor ever buy it. There is no good reason to raise the price of a game released 4 years ago other than to gouge the consumer. Atleast Admiral's Edition has some lower cost titles based off its model to see if the title is to your liking.

I value my money and am on a limited budget there are too many options vying for my entertainment dollar than spending it on something when I get the impression someone is taking me to the woodshed. After seeing what's going on here I know War in the East is going to cost mega bucks, I'll save and buy it but instead of getting my kids and wife to purchase me games from Matrix on Fathers Day, birthdays or Christmas, I'll ask for something else. Matrix will get money for games I see myself playing for a long time but they'll not get my fringe purchases.

I'll never buy anything from Panther Games being upfront and decent with customers is my most important criteria, raising prices on a 4 year old game is unacceptable.

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 5/27/2010 7:18:49 PM >

(in reply to Howard7x)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: Price? Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI