Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Better Spies

 
View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Better Spies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Better Spies - 4/28/2010 3:45:06 PM   
HsojVvad

 

Posts: 1036
Joined: 3/24/2010
Status: offline
What does it actually mean? I am playing as humans and I see I have better spies 15%. But what does the 15% do? When I was playing as the Dhayet, I didn't really notice a difference when the success probability was still around 85% for stealing maps.

So what does the +15% actually mean?
Post #: 1
RE: Better Spies - 4/28/2010 5:37:33 PM   
Fishman

 

Posts: 795
Joined: 4/1/2010
Status: offline
It means your auto-recruited spies start at 115 skill instead of a mere 100 skill. So if you have Ketarovs, your spies start at a whopping 150 skill, so you can use 150-skill spies as expendable noobs, while other empires would treat them as valued veterans.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 2
RE: Better Spies - 4/28/2010 7:32:55 PM   
HsojVvad

 

Posts: 1036
Joined: 3/24/2010
Status: offline
So why do my human spies start out at 100 then?

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 3
RE: Better Spies - 4/28/2010 7:34:52 PM   
Erik Rutins

 

Posts: 34598
Joined: 3/28/2000
From: Vermont, USA
Status: offline
My human spies start out at 115.

_____________________________


Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development




For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 4
RE: Better Spies - 4/28/2010 7:46:53 PM   
HsojVvad

 

Posts: 1036
Joined: 3/24/2010
Status: offline
I have uploaded a game called human 100, maybe you can see what is wrong. As you will see, I have 2 spies and they started at 100.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: Better Spies - 4/28/2010 8:45:13 PM   
FerretStyle

 

Posts: 157
Joined: 3/30/2010
Status: offline

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishman

It means your auto-recruited spies start at 115 skill instead of a mere 100 skill. So if you have Ketarovs, your spies start at a whopping 150 skill, so you can use 150-skill spies as expendable noobs, while other empires would treat them as valued veterans.



Is that it really?

1. I never automate spies, or much of anything for that matter.

2. That bonus sucks anyway. That's like 3 easy missions which take no time to do...

Boo.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 6
RE: Better Spies - 4/28/2010 9:19:41 PM   
Astorax

 

Posts: 188
Joined: 4/11/2010
Status: offline
Yeah, if the AI auto-recruits them, they get the bonus. If you recruit them manually, you are stuck with 100.

(in reply to FerretStyle)
Post #: 7
RE: Better Spies - 4/28/2010 9:23:19 PM   
Fishman

 

Posts: 795
Joined: 4/1/2010
Status: offline
Yes, note how I specified "auto-recruited". If you manually recruit them, you get nothing. Of course, there is little reason to turn that off for long, since the AI is quite good about hiring replacements, and keeping your roster stocked. About the only time to turn it off is pre-first-contact, so you can save some upkeep while no one can spy on you and you have no one to spy on.

(in reply to Astorax)
Post #: 8
RE: Better Spies - 4/28/2010 9:23:46 PM   
Jamoid

 

Posts: 22
Joined: 4/24/2010
From: Scotland
Status: offline
come to think of it, do spies set to counterintelligence ever gain experience? from what i remember they don't even gain experience when they successfully foil another spies attempts to blow your good self up. i can't test this at the moment but if i remember correctly this should be fixed.

(in reply to Astorax)
Post #: 9
RE: Better Spies - 4/28/2010 9:27:31 PM   
Wade1000


Posts: 771
Joined: 10/27/2009
From: California, USA
Status: offline
This is broken then. Will it be fixed?
quote:

ORIGINAL: Astorax

Yeah, if the AI auto-recruits them, they get the bonus. If you recruit them manually, you are stuck with 100.



_____________________________

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to Astorax)
Post #: 10
RE: Better Spies - 4/28/2010 9:30:39 PM   
Fishman

 

Posts: 795
Joined: 4/1/2010
Status: offline
One of them will gain experience if the spy is foiled and caught. However, this is not usually a reliable way to train spies because it is very slow and random. While you will probably have most of your spies on counter-intelligence anyway, the best way to grind spy XP is to send them on easy cakewalk missions that can be done in short duration with very high odds of succeeding, or at least not being killed. Whether you succeed or not, as long as the spy survives, he gains XP. And ultimately, it doesn't matter if you succeed or not, since all you're doing is sabotaging the construction of a random worthless planet, which probably wasn't building anything anyway, or inciting some locals who already want to revolt anyway to riot. Odds of success will be 80-90+%, with additional odds of not dying, which is good enough.

(in reply to Jamoid)
Post #: 11
RE: Better Spies - 4/28/2010 10:02:27 PM   
Jamoid

 

Posts: 22
Joined: 4/24/2010
From: Scotland
Status: offline
ok thanks. : )

what i've been doing is setting one to counterintelligence indefinitely and having the rest mainly steal technology and the like, perhaps i should start doing things differently. i didn't notice the counterspy's experience going up even after an enemy spy was caught but it was probably a mistake on my part.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 12
RE: Better Spies - 4/28/2010 10:05:12 PM   
toryn

 

Posts: 7
Joined: 4/28/2010
Status: offline
There should be a repeat option to make a spy continue redoing the mission until you cancel.. Right now the training process is incredibly tedious and makes me not use spies.

(in reply to Jamoid)
Post #: 13
RE: Better Spies - 4/28/2010 10:18:11 PM   
Astorax

 

Posts: 188
Joined: 4/11/2010
Status: offline
It seemed to me that, unless I wanted to micro it or be all gamey with the save/reload, it was better to just leave them on counterintelligence and be done with it. Everytime I try to use them alot without doing either of those things my relations(reputation?) suffers horribly for it. Unless you are going for total war or somesuch, it was never worth it to me. If it does affect reputation and not just single relations then it effects your own populations morale as well.

(in reply to toryn)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Better Spies Page: [1]
Jump to:





New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts


Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI

0.141