Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Do you think this ship is sunk?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Do you think this ship is sunk? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Do you think this ship is sunk? - 4/25/2010 10:57:23 PM   
Sredni

Day Time Surface Combat, near Kangean at 62,106,Range 16,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CVL Ryujo, Shell hits 19, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Kuroshio
DD Yukikaze, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Tokitsukaze, Shell hits 3, on fire

Do you think that CVL is sunk? It came sailing through the DEI a bit ago, between Borneo and the Celebes. I had a 25 strong (1ca, 9cl, 15dd) surface fleet sitting in Balikpapan refueling and about to head east to stomp on some unsupported landings in and around Celebes Sea when he sailed by heading toward soerbaja. I got damn lucky and his aircraft hit a land base instead of my surface fleet and the next day I guessed right and landed on top of him. I hit him at 62,104 or 63,104, not sure which (just 6 or 7 hexes east of soerbaja).

The next turn I guessed he would try to flee back NE to the celebes sea and so I sent my undamaged ships (I had a collision during the fight lol) a few hexes ne and caught the 3 DD's and laid waste to them, but the CVL was nowhere to be found. A turn after that it was spotted heading south, or at least I think it was the cvl. 1 ship was spotted but unknown what it was. The turn after that I had my surface force heading south as well and the fleet was again spotted in the hex between Waingapoe and Ruteng at 64,112. However that was the last I saw of it and believe me I had all the search aircraft in that area scouring the sea's.

At that point KB was spotted sailing into the celebes sea and so I began the DEI ship exodus. I'm just hoping the CVL sank. Whats everyone's opinion? Would 19 hits and heavy fires/damage be enough to put a cvl down?

And how do you copy a combat report anyways? I see tons of them in various AAR's, but I couldn't copy and paste off the combat reports in game, had to type that out manually bleh.

< Message edited by Sredni -- 4/25/2010 10:59:41 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Do you think this ship is sunk? - 4/25/2010 11:16:31 PM   
JeffroK

Nope, could be lots of 50cal hits

You would have to know what was hitting, and add Fog of War to the result.

Go to your SAVE file and all combat reports are there, saved by date.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 2
RE: Do you think this ship is sunk? - 4/26/2010 1:14:19 AM   
topeverest

Ryujo has low (37) Durability. I think it is entirely possible that with a CA and CL, you put a big hurt-n on the ship. CA guns easily could put that ship on the bottom. It could be on its way there, but it would be a lucky result if it did unless the range of the comabt was less than 10K yards. I think more likely she is headed for the repair yard for several months.

You can deduce the hits she took by the range of the combat cited in the combat report. At a minimum you can eliminate the shorter range devices. A quick look at ammo used also can help. If you got a torpedo into her, she is probably finished.

TAke a look at at the aircraft lost. If a large number of Zeros / or kates are lost, you almost certainly got her.

Andy M

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 3
RE: Do you think this ship is sunk? - 4/26/2010 1:19:29 AM   
Q-Ball

Usually "Heavy Fires, Heavy Damage" on a Japanese ship, if it's not right next to a port, is going to mean the end of that ship. That's my experience. I have never had a ship with that listed on the Combat Report survive, and that's probably true for my opponent.

I have had ships survive "Heavy Damage" without fires.

Also, if a ship is "obscured by smoke", in my experience, it's gone.

It would be helpful if others confirm/refute these observations, these are just my own.

If a heavily-damaged ship just suddenly disappears, it's usually because it sank.

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 4/26/2010 1:20:40 AM >

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 4
RE: Do you think this ship is sunk? - 4/26/2010 3:11:53 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Usually "Heavy Fires, Heavy Damage" on a Japanese ship, if it's not right next to a port, is going to mean the end of that ship. That's my experience. I have never had a ship with that listed on the Combat Report survive, and that's probably true for my opponent.

I have had ships survive "Heavy Damage" without fires.

Also, if a ship is "obscured by smoke", in my experience, it's gone.

It would be helpful if others confirm/refute these observations, these are just my own.

If a heavily-damaged ship just suddenly disappears, it's usually because it sank.

This matches my experience as well.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 5
RE: Do you think this ship is sunk? - 4/26/2010 3:16:55 AM   
Sredni

Does the ship ever show up in the sunk ship lists if it did sink without your knowing for sure? Like 3 months down the road do intelligence sources finally confirm it's sinking?

There've been a lot of hits where I nailed something good, with subs, or around wake where I've stomped on 2 invasion attempts with my carrier force, but not many of those ships are showing up in the sunk ship list.

I suppose it could be fog of war heh.

For that matter... do "sunk" ships ever show up again later having not actually sunk? I've got "confirmed" sinkings of the Kongo plus 2 cl's around wake. I think it'd probably be amusing to sink the same ship again at a later date heh.

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 6
RE: Do you think this ship is sunk? - 4/26/2010 3:41:33 AM   
CaptBeefheart

quote:

Does the ship ever show up in the sunk ship lists if it did sink without your knowing for sure? Like 3 months down the road do intelligence sources finally confirm it's sinking?

Those sunk ships will eventually show up (I think six months later?). Also, some you thought were sunk will later be discovered by Intelligence to be still floating. Such is the fog of war feature, which is quite realistic IMHO.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 7
RE: Do you think this ship is sunk? - 4/26/2010 4:19:48 AM   
JeffroK

I regularly get "Maryland BB sunk" when a Brit "R" class BB is sunk.

Happened twice in a week

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 8
RE: Do you think this ship is sunk? - 4/26/2010 7:31:47 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sredni
And how do you copy a combat report anyways? I see tons of them in various AAR's, but I couldn't copy and paste off the combat reports in game, had to type that out manually bleh.

When you go to your savegame folder you have all reports in .txt format.
Simply copy/paste from there.

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 9
RE: Do you think this ship is sunk? - 4/26/2010 7:37:01 AM   
Sredni

Thanks all for the replies :D, and thanks for the info about the combat report text files heh.

I'll write the CVL off as damaged for a good long while and hope for the best. With now two big carrier groups wandering through the DEI (he must have split KB or something) I think I can kiss my chances of actually doing any more surface fleet action goodbye. So hopefully my one and only engagement resulted in at least a little pain for the japanese.

< Message edited by Sredni -- 4/26/2010 7:40:46 AM >

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 10
RE: Do you think this ship is sunk? - 4/26/2010 7:38:44 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sredni

There've been a lot of hits where I nailed something good, with subs, or around wake where I've stomped on 2 invasion attempts with my carrier force, but not many of those ships are showing up in the sunk ship list.

I suppose it could be fog of war heh.

For that matter... do "sunk" ships ever show up again later having not actually sunk? I've got "confirmed" sinkings of the Kongo plus 2 cl's around wake. I think it'd probably be amusing to sink the same ship again at a later date heh.

"Sunk" ships can show up later. What usually happens is that you get a message in your ops report to the effect that "Previous report of sinking of ship X is incorrect. Intelligence reports ship is still in service." It is then removed from the sunk ships list. On occasion it will later be placed back on the list and then that will eventually be reported as incorrect too.

If a ship shows up in the ops report as reported sunk then it truly has been sunk, as far as I've ever been able to tell. Beyond that confirmation the sunk ships list is a tissue of lies, false hopes, guesswork, and pure fantasy. Ops report confirmation of sunken ships can show up many months (I've seen it take as long as 15 months) after the actual sinking.

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Do you think this ship is sunk? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI