Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help!...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Titans of Steel - Warring Suns >> Help!... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help!... - 7/16/2002 10:51:07 PM   
Hardcore

I've just started to play ToS and it would appear that I'm hopelessly useless at it!

I've been playing games for what feels like a very long time and I'd hardly call myself a beginner but I'm clearly missing a pretty major point somewhere along the line when it comes to ToS.

I'm starting from scratch, I've read the manual hints about recruiting your first couple of jocks but I think I might be missing something reagrding either the initial levelling of my jocks or the construction/choosing of my first mechs.

It all boils down to the fact that I cannot win a battle, even against a rookie randon AI team and I'm not quite sure why.

Any general pointers for the initial set-up and first couple of hotseat games would be very much apprecaited, I really want to be able to get in to ToS!...

TIA

Hardcore
Post #: 1
- 7/17/2002 12:03:51 AM   
rosary

Warring Suns will have a few Tutorial maps that explain everything and include step by step walkthroughs in the manual. You can also save your game which makes retrying the maps much easier. Maps aren't a one shot deal.

For your first couple of Hotseat games, set your team skill at the highest level. set the AI team at the Lowest skill level. If you can defeat the AI then gradually lower your skill level.

I also highly recommend playing against others online. Rather than explain the benefits of this I'll just say its a lot of fun.

(in reply to Hardcore)
Post #: 2
:) - 7/17/2002 12:17:13 AM   
Megrez

Well...
first of all the manual says:

Rookies start with 300 development points (DP) in each of the three categories -- piloting,
combat, and other -- which they can distribute amongst their skills and/or attributes. These
points represent their initial training.

It's better if you don't spread these points amongst many different skills: I think in a rookie you have to improve only one skill as much as it's possible to do.
Then you have to choose a titan with the right weapons related to the skills of your jocks.
Example: if you have a jock with an high skill in "close combat" is unuseful that you put it into a titan armed with guided missiles :P

Apart this, when a jock is a rookie, it seems to me that the AI-jocks of the same level are usually more clever than he/she is.
So you have to retry many times.

But if you don't want to spend a lot of time, or if you want to take it the easy-way..... well..... when you miss a shoot you have to restart from the last saving and retry until you hit the target: when the target is hit save the game, and so on...
Until your jock get the third rank, it's a little difficoult to overcome easily the AI-jocks; so it's like a click-fest :)

To say the truth I prefer not to save 'cause it's much funny.... but it's your choice :)

My only suggestion is that you have to continue to try and try again....
And when your jock will reach an high rank it will be very easy to beat an inferior AI :)

Meg

(in reply to Hardcore)
Post #: 3
- 7/17/2002 7:44:47 AM   
firestorm

i find that, early on, smaller teams fare *much* better against equivalant AI teams. preferably i will run my first couple fights with only one jock. usually i'll continue with only one jock until it gets about 3/4 way to it's first promotion. only then will i start recruiting more jocks. and i almost NEVER recruit jocks more than one at a time. also: i usually do spread the points out some, but i make sure that recon/light piloting and jump are to tehir starting max, and pick a couple wep. skills to boost up until above 40. i also max out Scanner. once this is done, i'll decide wether i want to spread the rest of the pts out (i usually do this) or focus them in a few skills (most of the points end up spent boosting stats)

hope you find this useful.

www(dot)attnam(dot)com

(in reply to Hardcore)
Post #: 4
Ta! - 7/17/2002 4:42:02 PM   
Hardcore

Thanks for the pointers. Turns out I was being a bit of a spaz! I had misinterpreted some of the jock attributes and I was levelling my rookies in areas that I shouldn't have been bothering with at first.

I'm having more luck now!

Ta!

Hardcore

(in reply to Hardcore)
Post #: 5
- 7/18/2002 12:17:28 AM   
rosary

A few quick tips:

A) increase your Dex and Reaction skills a few points. It will really come in handy.
B) Early jocks should try to use Energy weapons. This skill should be close to 60%. Extra weapon skill points should go into Close Combat. The reason is that these do not run out of ammo and with your jocks low chance to hit you won't run out of ammo. Rookies also tend to overheat their jocks causing ammo explosions and with your low skills you'll fail to stop them.
C) Scanner. A better scan skill gives you better info, you end up knowing more about your enemy. That is always helpful.

(in reply to Hardcore)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Titans of Steel - Warring Suns >> Help!... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI