Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pearl Harbour shipyard

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Pearl Harbour shipyard Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pearl Harbour shipyard - 4/2/2010 7:35:18 AM   
castor troy

Hi

I can´t figure out how Pearl Harbour´s shipyard seems to function. Is there a special "penalty" for Pearl´s shipyard? I´ve noticed that my BBs at Pearl Harbour take an awful long time to repair and as soon as the ships were able to make the trip to the West Coast I´ve sent them there. The result was that the estimated time of repair was halve of what it was in Pearl Harbour. No changes of repair state and not exceeding the shipyard limits. I´ve even tried it with a single BB in the shipyard but no change. A 32.000 ton BB with 35 major flt damage takes some 125 days to repair in Pear (best setting to get it as fast as possiblel, moved it to the West Coast and we´re down to some 60 days with the best setting.

Thought about naval support but the manual states that nav support only helps ships that are repairing in port. Besides this, I´ve got more naval support at Pearl than at the West Coast yards anyway.

Any clue?

< Message edited by castor troy -- 4/2/2010 7:36:24 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: Pearl Harbour shipyard - 4/2/2010 11:18:27 AM   
Deckard B26354

I have my West Virginia BB (32,600 tons) with 52 System damage and 44 (Major) Flotation damage at Pearl. Just stood her down at Pierside, set to Critical Priority. Repair estimate is 64 days.

< Message edited by Deckard B26354 -- 4/2/2010 11:25:40 AM >

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 2
RE: Pearl Harbour shipyard - 4/2/2010 11:32:41 AM   
Sardaukar

Pearl shipyard is only 100k size,  and if I recall right, lot of WC shipyards are 200-250k size. That makes LOT of difference, since excess capacity (if any) is used to accelerate the repairs.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Deckard B26354)
Post #: 3
RE: Pearl Harbour shipyard - 4/2/2010 11:56:45 AM   
chesmart

Well Castor yesterday I was doing some testing on repair shipyards for Ultimate Axis Mod and I got these results regarding conversions : I added 200 points to pearl harbour repair facilities to test how the system works and replaced the leader of Pacific Fleet with a leader with 90 admin(Bagley). I had 9 BBs in pearl all to convert they all had a conversion delay of 180 days. After 5 turns 3 of the 9 BBs have an estimated 140 day repair time while the rest will be ready in 60 days. This happened after i put them on critical Repain in shipyard mode. I had sufficient Capacity for all ships but 3 of them had differant repair eta. That means that randomly some ships will take more than others to repair because of errors done in the repairs by the shipyard. Same thing happens to rapairs, now if you change shipyard you restart the die rolls again 

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 4
RE: Pearl Harbour shipyard - 4/2/2010 12:10:07 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Pearl shipyard is only 100k size,  and if I recall right, lot of WC shipyards are 200-250k size. That makes LOT of difference, since excess capacity (if any) is used to accelerate the repairs.

this came to my mind too, so I´ve thought that if there would be only one BB at Pearl in the shipyard it could be sped up but that didn´t help either. With one BB and a 100.000 ton shipyard I´ve thought this could be the same as two BBs in a 200.000 ton shipyard on the WC but it wasn´t. That´s why I can´t figure out how this really is calculated. It´s not just an estimate, it´s the actual repair time, so I can´t even thnink about a "wrong estimation".

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 5
RE: Pearl Harbour shipyard - 4/2/2010 12:10:30 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deckard B26354

I have my West Virginia BB (32,600 tons) with 52 System damage and 44 (Major) Flotation damage at Pearl. Just stood her down at Pierside, set to Critical Priority. Repair estimate is 64 days.

how you get such a result I´ve got no clue.

(in reply to Deckard B26354)
Post #: 6
RE: Pearl Harbour shipyard - 4/2/2010 12:11:43 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: che200

Well Castor yesterday I was doing some testing on repair shipyards for Ultimate Axis Mod and I got these results regarding conversions : I added 200 points to pearl harbour repair facilities to test how the system works and replaced the leader of Pacific Fleet with a leader with 90 admin(Bagley). I had 9 BBs in pearl all to convert they all had a conversion delay of 180 days. After 5 turns 3 of the 9 BBs have an estimated 140 day repair time while the rest will be ready in 60 days. This happened after i put them on critical Repain in shipyard mode. I had sufficient Capacity for all ships but 3 of them had differant repair eta. That means that randomly some ships will take more than others to repair because of errors done in the repairs by the shipyard. Same thing happens to rapairs, now if you change shipyard you restart the die rolls again 

had those three ships all the same tonnage and the exact same damage?

(in reply to chesmart)
Post #: 7
RE: Pearl Harbour shipyard - 4/2/2010 12:33:03 PM   
chesmart

Yes they all had the same damage from conversions and they all had the same conversion time. Then I moved them to lahania where i had another shipyard of 100,000 tons and started the repairs there 2 of the 3 BBs stayed the same the other one went down to 40 days. I think there is a dice roll involved in the repair algorythm where a ship can randomly takes longer to repair. I noticed another thing that shipyards repair ships faster than the minimum delay time for conversions. The ships where the USN standards that where in PH in the begining of the war.(Axis Mod is based on Juans Ultimate CV Mod)

Post #: 8
RE: Pearl Harbour shipyard - 4/2/2010 1:29:15 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

Any clue?

Bigger shipyards repair faster. If you really want something fixed fast, send it to the East Coast!

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

Post #: 9
RE: Pearl Harbour shipyard - 4/2/2010 2:00:47 PM   
Don Bowen

Shipyards repair ships in a set sequence, based on priority, triage, type. If the player does not supply a priority, ships are repaired 'in order" within type and triage. Type is carriers first, then BB, cruisers, etc. Triage is those in danger of sinking first, then those that can be quickly repaired, then the long repair jobs.

Unless something changes, the same ship will get selected first for repairs each time. This means that one ship will get repaired faster. Then another will move to the top of the queue and be repaired. Players can use priority to adjust the repair order.

If excess shipyard capacity exists, the shipyard will dedicate it to ships under repair (in order). This can effectively give a priority boost to one (or more) ships.

Remember that the two higher priority settings use extra shipyard resource. The two lower ones do not. If you want to manage repair order without spending extra shipyard capacity, use Normal and Low.

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 10
RE: Pearl Harbour shipyard - 4/2/2010 3:21:53 PM   
chesmart

So don if I want to convert bbs should I add extra capacity at shipyards ? My main problem is trying to keep the minimum conversion delay as a penalty to the player which he has to keep. Is there a way around it ?

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 11
RE: Pearl Harbour shipyard - 4/2/2010 3:29:51 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

Shipyards repair ships in a set sequence, based on priority, triage, type. If the player does not supply a priority, ships are repaired 'in order" within type and triage. Type is carriers first, then BB, cruisers, etc. Triage is those in danger of sinking first, then those that can be quickly repaired, then the long repair jobs.

Unless something changes, the same ship will get selected first for repairs each time. This means that one ship will get repaired faster. Then another will move to the top of the queue and be repaired. Players can use priority to adjust the repair order.

If excess shipyard capacity exists, the shipyard will dedicate it to ships under repair (in order). This can effectively give a priority boost to one (or more) ships.

Remember that the two higher priority settings use extra shipyard resource. The two lower ones do not. If you want to manage repair order without spending extra shipyard capacity, use Normal and Low.

thanks for the info Don, this was what I´m looking for and perfectly explains why the same single BB at San Francisco repairs twice as fast than at Pearl because SF´s shipyard is twice as big.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 12
RE: Pearl Harbour shipyard - 4/2/2010 4:30:40 PM   
Smeulders

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

It's at pierside, meaning that the repairs for the 44 Major damage aren't included in the estimate.

Post #: 13
RE: Pearl Harbour shipyard - 4/2/2010 5:55:10 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smeulders

quote:

quote:

It's at pierside, meaning that the repairs for the 44 Major damage aren't included in the estimate.

good hint, missed that. Yeah, that way you will repair the 52 sys damage but not one point of major flt which will take "forever".

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 14
RE: Pearl Harbour shipyard - 4/2/2010 7:09:02 PM   
medicff

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smeulders

quote:

quote:

good hint, missed that. Yeah, that way you will repair the 52 sys damage but not one point of major flt which will take "forever".

Well that leads to another question. I would like to only repair sys damage so that the BB can be moved safely to WC. Is it better to leave in shipyard (which seems to attack float damage as well) or leave in pierside and repair only sys. Will they repair at the same rate?

Thanks for answers.

Post #: 15
RE: Pearl Harbour shipyard - 4/2/2010 7:14:30 PM   
AcePylut

Been reading for a long time that fastest way to repair ships is to first put them at pierside, not in the shipyard, until your sys damage goes to zero, then you can bring it into the shipyard to repair major damage.

(in reply to medicff)
Post #: 16
RE: Pearl Harbour shipyard - 4/2/2010 7:43:13 PM   
medicff

thanks for the answer. I have been doing it backwards for a long time

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 17
RE: Pearl Harbour shipyard - 4/3/2010 12:19:16 AM   
pmelheck1

I normally leave all my BB's set to pierside and set one or two to critical or high priority (low sys damage first).  When I sail off the one's I've set high or critical to CONUS for repair of major damage I'll move other BB's up to high or critical to speed up their repairs.  I tend to very seldom use priority other than low or normal in shipyards unless I really need the ship such as a CV preferring instead to remove ships from the yard.  I know others use other methods but these work for me.

(in reply to medicff)
Post #: 18
RE: Pearl Harbour shipyard - 4/3/2010 1:00:55 AM   
John Lansford

I find that PH's shipyard will exceed capacity when ships start getting upgraded/converted.  However, the ships will still get upgraded if you move them to a non-shipyard mode, so I check the shipyard whenever I see a lot of notices that ships are being refitted or upgraded.

(in reply to pmelheck1)
Post #: 19
RE: Pearl Harbour shipyard - 4/3/2010 9:44:46 PM   
fflaguna

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

I find that PH's shipyard will exceed capacity when ships start getting upgraded/converted.  However, the ships will still get upgraded if you move them to a non-shipyard mode, so I check the shipyard whenever I see a lot of notices that ships are being refitted or upgraded.

Is this intended behavior?

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 20
RE: Pearl Harbour shipyard - 4/4/2010 12:22:52 AM   
Rainer

Why not?
Installing for example a new antenna certainly does not require the ship to be in a dry dock.
Even heavy weapons probably could be replaced being in pierside mode as long as the port has the proper gear.
Not so sure about changes concerning engines and related equipment, say propellors.

The only requirement is to be in a port of sufficient size, which the update clearly states.

WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta

(in reply to fflaguna)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Pearl Harbour shipyard Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI