Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Name This!...(44)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Name This!...(44) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/30/2010 8:04:42 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Local Yokel
Perhaps this composite image will assist the debate.

Sorry Mr. Palmer, but the pics confirm Soryu, imho. Lots of technical reasons - flight deck overhang at bow and stern, deck 2 and 3 openings and length along the hull, % of spacing from the bow of the island, height to width ratio of the island. height of deck of the island, shape of stern, height and number of of decks under cover, and if ya get really gnarly about it, % ratio of an airframe to the island. Nope. Sorry, but this is Soryu.

Warspite1

There is a far more compelling technical reason for this being Soryu. If it is, then this is the first time I`ve got one of these questions right I`m with JWE, Brady etc

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 31
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/30/2010 8:18:24 PM   
redcoat

This is the original WW2 Japanese military news photo.

Perhaps someone could translate all the caption? I’ve only got a vague English description and the 1943 date I’ve already mentioned.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 32
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/30/2010 8:21:38 PM   
Minotaur

Here is a picture of Zuikaku at roughly the same angle.

Minotaur

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Minotaur -- 3/30/2010 9:56:10 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 33
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/30/2010 8:35:50 PM   
John 3rd

The bridge demonstrates the class pretty easily to me...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 34
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/30/2010 8:47:41 PM   
Gilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

quote:

Perhaps this composite image will assist the debate.

Sorry Mr. Palmer, but the pics confirm Soryu, imho. Lots of technical reasons - flight deck overhang at bow and stern, deck 2 and 3 openings and length along the hull, % of spacing from the bow of the island, height to width ratio of the island. height of deck of the island, shape of stern, height and number of of decks under cover, and if ya get really gnarly about it, % ratio of an airframe to the island. Nope. Sorry, but this is Soryu.

And I am sorry, John, But you are wrong

http://www.j-aircraft.org/smf/index.php?topic=9115.msg0#new

My friend Dan knows very well this picture

UMI YUKABA
"If I go away to sea, I shall return a corpse awash, if duty calls me to the mountain, a verdant will be my pall, thus for the sake of the Emperor, I will not die peacefully at home...."

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 35
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/30/2010 9:04:47 PM   
Local Yokel

D'oh, just realised that in my original post I got my comment the wrong way round - what I intended to convey was that there is too much freeboard at the pointy end for Brady's picture to be Soryu.

The picture of Soryu I posted seems to be one of a series of at least three taken from a passing ship in Sukumo Bay in the spring of 1939. The aircraft visible are said to be 11-gata Type 97 attack planes, apparently with wings folded. I speculate that the aircraft shown in Brady's picture are the carrier's ready CAP, but even allowing for the fact that the Type 97 is an appreciably bigger aeroplane than a Zero, I still think that the aircraft visible in the questioned picture suggest that this is a substantially bigger vessel than Soryu.

Oh, and I note that Dan Kaplan says that this is Zuikaku at about the time of the Eastern Solomons battle.

(in reply to Gilbert)
Post #: 36
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/30/2010 9:40:27 PM   
treespider

Look at the base of the island...in particularly towards the bow ...there is a structure at the base of the island consistent with Shokaku class...whereas the on the Soryu the base of island has no structure towards the bow.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 37
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/30/2010 9:44:30 PM   
Gilbert

Here is one of Soryu at Tateyama Bay in 1938

Attachment (1)

UMI YUKABA
"If I go away to sea, I shall return a corpse awash, if duty calls me to the mountain, a verdant will be my pall, thus for the sake of the Emperor, I will not die peacefully at home...."

(in reply to Local Yokel)
Post #: 38
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/30/2010 9:46:55 PM   
Gilbert

And one of Shokaku at Yokosuka 23/08/1941

Attachment (1)

UMI YUKABA

(in reply to Gilbert)
Post #: 39
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/30/2010 9:47:20 PM   
Brady

quote:

ORIGINAL: redcoat

Perhaps someone could translate all the caption? I’ve only got a vague English description and the 1943 date I’ve already mentioned.

I dont supose anybody can read the script?

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depends on our point of view

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 40
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/30/2010 9:49:49 PM   
Gilbert

And finally one of Zuikaku at Bungo-suido 20/10/1941

Attachment (1)

UMI YUKABA

(in reply to Gilbert)
Post #: 41
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/30/2010 9:50:11 PM   
chesmart

There are a couple of Japanese players on these forums maybe they can help us solve this problem.

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 42
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/30/2010 9:59:55 PM   
fflaguna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brady

Alright!! My turn to add some insight. Taking a look at this picture, we can try to measure the length of the ship based on the planes on the deck. There is an assumption made that the planes are pointing essentially straight down the center-line of the vessel. We measure the left-most plane to be approximately 15 pixels in length. We measure the ship to be approximately 400 pixels in length. If the plane and ship are both pointing in the same direction, then we can perform the simple calculation

400/15 = 26.667

Which gives us the ratio of plane-length to ship-length. Now we multiply the resultant 26.667 by the length of potential aircraft that the carriers should be carrying. I can't identify the planes, so here are all possibilities for ship-length:

Zero -- 26.667 x 9.06m = 241m
Val -- 26.667 x 10.2m = 272m
Kate -- 26.667 x 10.3m = 275m

Soryu has a length of 222m, and Shokaku has a length of 257m. If anybody can identify the planes on deck, we can do a little bit more and figure out max and mins of the angle the planes are facing away from the ship's center-line. These calculations can't be definitive until we can figure out what planes are on the deck, then we can do a little more and potentially rule out Soryu for being too short.

So can anyone identify any of the four aircraft on deck, or tell what the japanese doctrine says for angle away from center-line to store aircraft on the flight deck?

< Message edited by fflaguna -- 3/30/2010 10:02:14 PM >

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 43
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/30/2010 10:01:48 PM   
Gilbert

quote:

quote:

I dont supose anybody can read the script?

I can ask Gengoro-san to translate it. Now I remember I have this picture in my library. Reference is :

Kojinsha "Warships of the IJN" #6 p.57

UMI YUKABA

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 44
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/30/2010 10:07:55 PM   
Gilbert

And now I remember I have a translation of this Kojinsha issue which says for page 57 :

Page 57. Autumn 1942. A silhouette photograph of ZUIKAKU. AA gun platforms have now been
fitted under the front of the flight deck and smoke is seen near the signal mast behind
the bridge. The features on the deck seen in the front of the picture indicate that this
ship is SHOKAKU around the time of the Battle of Santa Cruz Islands.

Thanks go to Brady for bringing this interesting topic and to all for your input

UMI YUKABA

(in reply to Gilbert)
Post #: 45
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/30/2010 10:08:11 PM   
Brady

That would seam to clear it up then, it would be interesting to see what the caption says.

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depends on our point of view

(in reply to Gilbert)
Post #: 46
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/30/2010 10:14:51 PM   
fflaguna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gilbert

And now I remember I have a translation of this Kojinsha issue which says for page 57 :

Page 57. Autumn 1942. A silhouette photograph of ZUIKAKU. AA gun platforms have now been
fitted under the front of the flight deck and smoke is seen near the signal mast behind
the bridge. The features on the deck seen in the front of the picture indicate that this

Thanks go to Brady for bringing this interesting topic and to all for your input

So is it Shokaku or Zuikaku?

(in reply to Gilbert)
Post #: 47
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/30/2010 10:23:29 PM   
Gilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: fflaguna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gilbert

So is it Shokaku or Zuikaku?

it is Zuikaku taken from Shokaku

UMI YUKABA

(in reply to fflaguna)
Post #: 48
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/30/2010 10:24:09 PM   
Minotaur

Zuikaku picture taken from the Shokaku.

Minotaur

(in reply to fflaguna)
Post #: 49
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/30/2010 10:42:51 PM   
redcoat

quote:

That would seam to clear it up then, it would be interesting to see what the caption says.

Indeed. The caption supposedly confirms that the photo was taken in May 1943 - months after the Battle of Santa Cruz Islands. I think Shôkaku and Zuikaku were still together at that time.

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 50
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/30/2010 10:49:32 PM   
Brady

quote:

quote:

Indeed. The caption supposedly confirms that the photo was taken in May 1943 - months after the Battle of Santa Cruz Islands. I think Shôkaku and Zuikaku were still together at that time.

Is the caption an original wartime caption or is the image and caption above from a post war source? If the former then its not only posable but likely the date and place are wrong'ish.

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 51
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/30/2010 11:28:44 PM   
redcoat

quote:

quote:

quote:

Is the caption an original wartime caption or is the image and caption above from a post war source? If the former then its not only posable but likely the date and place are wrong'ish.

According to the owner of the photo the Japanese caption is the original used by the Jap military in WW2. It is supposed to comprise a rousing ‘propaganda’ slogan and the date.

The Kojinsha book seems to have dated the photo as Autumn 1942 because of “features on the deck seen in the front of the picture.” Perhaps the author did not know about the date of the original ‘propaganda’ photo? In any case, the deck would presumably have had the same features in the Spring of 1943?

< Message edited by redcoat -- 3/30/2010 11:30:06 PM >

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 52
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/30/2010 11:53:40 PM   
Local Yokel

quote:

The Kojinsha book seems to have dated the photo as Autumn 1942 because of “features on the deck seen in the front of the picture.” Perhaps the author did not know about the date of the original ‘propaganda’ photo? In any case, the deck would presumably have had the same features in the Spring of 1943?

In a 1943 photograph of Zuikaku I would expect to see some trace of the mattress antenna for the ship's air search radar atop her island. From memory, Zuikaku received this in December 1942 or thereabouts. The fact that there's no visible sign of such an antenna in the picture under discussion gives some support to it having been taken before 1943.

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 53
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/31/2010 12:52:33 AM   
redcoat

quote:

quote:

In a 1943 photograph of Zuikaku I would expect to see some trace of the mattress antenna for the ship's air search radar atop her island. From memory, Zuikaku received this in December 1942 or thereabouts. The fact that there's no visible sign of such an antenna in the picture under discussion gives some support to it having been taken before 1943.

I’d be interested to know when the Zuikaku received its mattress antenna. The Zuikaku was at sea for most of the Winter of 1942-43.

Zuikaku spent most of December 1942 in air combat exercises in the Inland Sea. She only spent a short time in port (Yokosuka) between 28th and 31st December. In fact, the Zuikaku does not seem to have spent very much time in dock until 11th June 1943 – when she went into the Kure Navy Yard dry dock until the 19th June.

The Shôkaku on the other hand was repaired and refitted at Yokosuka between 6th November 1942 and 28th February 1943.

Interestingly, the Shôkaku and the Zuikaku were sailing together on the 28th May, 1943. They had been temporarilly apart until 8th May. The two carriers were on their way to Yokosuka – where they stopped for a couple of days between 29th and 31st May.

< Message edited by redcoat -- 3/31/2010 2:56:48 AM >

Post #: 54
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/31/2010 2:06:35 AM   
Brady

If this were published during the war the radar would of been touched up by the sensors.

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 55
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/31/2010 2:36:55 AM   
John 3rd

You have to admit that the Japanese built some fine looking ships.  They just scream speed to me.  Nice vessels.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 56
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/31/2010 12:44:02 PM   
redcoat

quote:

quote:

According to Monographie Morskie No. 3 the Zuikaku was fitted with a Type 21 GP radar (aka ‘ship mattress’) in June 1943 when she was in dock at Kure. The Shôkaku had already received its mattress antenna as part of her repair and refit at Yokosuka.

Interestingly there was someone with a camera on the Shôkaku on 27th May 1943. It was the IJN’s Navy Day and there was a ceremony on the Shôkaku which was photographed. I guess it is possible that the same person could have photographed the Zuikaku the next day before disembarking at Yokosuka the day after that.

Post #: 57
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/31/2010 12:56:57 PM   
chesmart

Redcoat Your knowledge and sources are impressive,I do not want to imagine the library you must have.

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 58
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/31/2010 1:16:23 PM   
Gilbert

quote:

quote:

quote:

According to Monographie Morskie No. 3 the Zuikaku was fitted with a Type 21 GP radar (aka ‘ship mattress’) in June 1943 when she was in dock at Kure. The Shôkaku had already received its mattress antenna as part of her repair and refit at Yokosuka.

Interestingly there was someone with a camera on the Shôkaku on 27th May 1943. It was the IJN’s Navy Day and there was a ceremony on the Shôkaku which was photographed. I guess it is possible that the same person could have photographed the Zuikaku the next day before disembarking at Yokosuka the day after that.

Monographie Morskie is (as often) inaccurate and "Local Yokel" is (as nearly always ) right. Radar was fitted on Zuikaku in late november, early december 1942 at Kure.
Her TROM does'nt say it specifically but there was plenty of time to do this job :
"30 October 1942:
Return to Truk.

9 November 1942:
Arrive at Kure.

26 December 1942:
Depart Kure for Yokosuka."

Moreover, here is an image from "Maru Special #102 shot on 27/05/1943 showing Zuikaku Island with Type 21 Radar.

Attachment (1)

UMI YUKABA

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 59
RE: Name This!...(44) - 3/31/2010 2:27:54 PM   
jomni

I know very basic Japanese but will try to decipher the text in the picture (Transcript of the text extracted from this site: http://www.j-aircraft.org/smf/index.php?topic=9115.msg0#new)

山本元帥の 死後  一度  前線  へ 傳わるや、将兵 は 烈火 の如き 悲憤  に 燃え、闘魂 は激しく盛上がった 。
瀉 真  は 闘士満々 暁 の 洋上 へ 出撃 する 我が 空母  (海 許 58) 

昭和 十八 年 五 月廿八日 〇〇 第九一一号、
昭和 十七年 十月 三日  第三種郵便物認可
読売 新聞 社

Once the (news of) Admiral Yamamoto's death was transmitted to the frontline, officers and men are furious as if burning, fighting spirit is intensely rising.
Photograph(?) is brimming with fighters on a sortie at dawn on the sea (from?) my aircraft carrier.

Showa 18th Year (1943) 5th month 28th day Issue 911
Showa 17th Year (1942) 10th month 3rd day 3rd class mail approval
Yomimuri Newspaper Company

Took some time as I am not familiar with the terms so have to look at the dictionary.
Looks like a postcard.  No mention of the ship's name. But the indication of Yamamoto's death means May 1943 is the plausible time the picture was taken as indicated in the caption.

< Message edited by jomni -- 3/31/2010 2:51:50 PM >

(in reply to Gilbert)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Name This!...(44) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI