Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR - 4/9/2010 6:13:51 PM   
Barthheart

Just a picture showing the spread of ANZAC forces around the Pacific.

Attachment (1)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 31
RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR - 4/9/2010 10:20:47 PM   
explorer2

quote:

I know this comes up often but I have to say again that at this scale artillery/AA should not be able to fire outside of it's own hex! And definately not 2 hexes away! That's about 120KM in this scenario!!! Maybe for "mobile" flak a 1 hex range is OK because each turn represents 28 days but "immobile" flak is ... well... immobile!

Your complaint is certainly justified from a certain perspective. But the game is not able to accurately reproduce a lot of stuff.

I don't remember what it was called, but the Germans had constructed a flak barrier across Europe which all planes had to get through on every bombing run - and from what I can tell, it was not some huge effort requiring years or enormous costs or anything. Because in AT you don't have a system of auto defense when a unit crosses another's zone of control, accurately reproducing GE anti air is not even possible in AT. So there is of course much to be desired in this whole system.

In early playtests of the new historically accurate Level Bomber ranges, with range 1 immobile flak, every game had West destroying GE production moderately easily. Increasing range to 2 was my solution. I'm sure there are better ones, but whatever the system, game balance demands for any attack some ability to reasonably counter attack at a reasonable cost. Remember, GE has to have AA in EVERY city for it to be in any way effective.

As always, I'm open to better solutions, as long as I have the skills to implement them

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 32
RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR - 4/10/2010 3:40:36 AM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: explorer2
In early playtests of the new historically accurate Level Bomber ranges, with range 1 immobile flak, every game had West destroying GE production moderately easily. Increasing range to 2 was my solution. I'm sure there are better ones, but whatever the system, game balance demands for any attack some ability to reasonably counter attack at a reasonable cost. Remember, GE has to have AA in EVERY city for it to be in any way effective.

As always, I'm open to better solutions, as long as I have the skills to implement them

I think maybe making flak cheaper, a bit at least, so that it can be built in every city but only have range 1, or even better 0, is a better solution. If the German wants to build the same flak net as in RL then he must actually pay for it. If he wants to protect every single hex in Europe, city or no, he needs to then build a proper fighter screen.

People like to see hoards of German tanks streaming across the Russian border in 1941, when in fact they had only 4 Panzer Armies = maybe 1 Corps worth of tanks. The German player has to deside, and early, if he's going for broke in Russia or protect the Home front.... and he shouldn't be able to do both, or at least not both well,... as in real life.

To win as the Germans should require almost flawless play.... IMHO..... Right now if you make amistake as the West you're screwed! In RL the West made many mistakes and still won in teh end.

To help compensate don't give the Brits the free LB's...

It just feels like the Germans are getting way too much for free... but I haven't play this scenario through in quite some time so maybe I'm nuts..

Don't get me wrong, explorer2, I really like what you've done with this scenaio.... I just feel that it's becoming too easy as the Axis....

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to explorer2)
Post #: 33
RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR - 4/10/2010 5:02:31 AM   
explorer2

quote:

Don't get me wrong, explorer2, I really like what you've done with this scenaio.... I just feel that it's becoming too easy as the Axis....

You may be right, you may not, that's why play tests are so valuable, and it's so great that you guys are doing this, because I just don't have the time to test it like I would like to. Only playing through an entire game will really be able to tell the full implications of various changes. Everybody's play experiences and feedback is invaluable.

On the flak shield however, in AT you just really can't create such a thing. In RL, every time a plane went over a flak area, they were fired at. Because AT doesn't have auto fire when leaving a zone of control, that simply cannot be reproduced.
Even so, your point is well taken that a reduction in cost may be a superior alternative, combined with not getting the (historically accurate) fleet of Level Bombers for UK early on.
Again, let's see how the game unfolds before making a final decision.
And again, thanks so much for taking the time both to play and to do the AAR!

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 34
RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR - 4/12/2010 4:31:25 PM   
Barthheart

October 25, 1940

British Parliment appauled at aircrew losses as "Bomber" Harris contiues to attack protected targets in Europe during the day. Harris staunchly defends his strategy inspite of calls for his resignation. Churchill is said to support Harris... for now....
--------------------

Two bomber raids this round. All LB II's went to Albourg in northern Denmark to try to flaten that aribase. Of 11 or 12 LB II's I lost 5 to one flak and 2 small carrier air... are supposed to be small right???

Second raid was 4 LB I's to bridges just north of Munich. Lost an LB to flak and failed to blow either brige.

So 6 LB's lost and only 4 built this turn. & on order for next turn.

S.A. troops in East Africa strat moved to Eqypt and attached to 8th Army.

Pacific islands alomost completely garrisoned. Start making PP's down there.

Preparing to withdraw from Norway as he's bombing the port so no supplies are making it in.

Overall not a good month for the Good Guys.

(in reply to explorer2)
Post #: 35
RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR - 4/13/2010 3:52:04 PM   
Barthheart

November 22, 1940

"This is an barbarous outrage!" exclaimed Gen. Charles de Gaulle on hearing of the bombing raid over Paris. "How can this monster Harris be allowed to command!" The massive raid by over 800 Halifax bombers resulted in hallf of the industry in Pairs being reduced to rubble according to Bomber Command sources. Soucres also put Bomber Command losses at around 150 planes and crews. It is unknown how many, if any civilians were cought in the maelstrom.
---------------------------------------
16 LB II's strike at Paris, do 4300 PP damage and lose 3 LB's shot by 2 of his Immobile Flak. Not too bad but still not breaking even. 7 new LB's came on line this turn so I'm ahead that way.....
Small naval skermish in North Sea. 4 wolfpacks, 18 subs, attack 3 Cruiser II's and 3 DD I's. 1 Cruiser and all 3 DD's go down with out loss to the uboats.
2 BBII's, 2 Cruiser II's and an AC II arrive for free. They set sail for the Atlantic so as not to get caught in the winter effects about to happen next turn.

Still no sign of the Italian Navy..... 8th Army continues to grow in strength. I no wneed some engineers to build some roads through the damn desert.

ANZAC staring to build subs for the up coming Pacific war.

Not looking forawrd to winter wihich affects all of Britian.... might not get a bomber raid off....

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 36
RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR - 4/14/2010 6:03:05 PM   
Barthheart

December 20, 1940

5 days until Christmas and still the war rages on. In te Mediterranean Sea the Royal Navy suffers a major set back at the hands of the Regia Marina. Paris is bombed again against strong protests of Free French everywhere. British troops in Norway are cutoff and on their own for now. These are dark days for the Allied nations.
-------------------

Hmmm..... looks like I'm botching this game pretty well! Lost all RN ships in the Med, 11, to only 4 Italians. 16 LB II raid on Paris loses 3 and only does 1900 PP damage. Also lost 2 fighters in recon mission over France. He's got 4 Imm. Flak in Brussels now!!! Ah well, must soldier on...

Small fleet of landing craft making it's way from Boston to England, to be used in raids once Russia at war. More LB II's build, plus some carrier air for my new carrier I got last turn.

India now building LB II's for basing in Med. to blast bridges in southeast europe.

Also building PP's to advance research.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 37
RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR - 4/15/2010 6:15:31 PM   
Barthheart

January 17, 1941

Daring Bomber Command raid into the heart of Germany! 700 bombers streaked through the skies over Euorpe to drop their deadly loads on to Munich, the birthplace of the current regime. Wide spread damage reported and the loss of only 50 of our fine crews. Take that Hun!
Elsewhere, our brave soldiers finally succumbed to surperior forces in the valient but doomed mission to hold Bergen Norway.

-----------------------
Finally some good news. 14 LB II's bombed Munich and did over 1900 PP with the loss of only one plane. Three more added to the fleet this month.

Bergen captured by Germany. Not a surpise but bad none teh less. Now any aide I give to Russia will cost twice as much.

Indian bombers base in Crete tried to strike a bridge in Rumania but ran into a large Luftwaffe formation, probably staioned in Bucharest in prep for war with Russia. Only lost 1 plane. More are now in Cyprus.

First ANZAC sub sets sail.

Researched Divebomber II to get access to LB III's research.

Russia still not in the war although briefing says they wake up automatically in Jan. 1941....?

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 38
RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR - 4/15/2010 9:12:02 PM   
explorer2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barthheart
Russia still not in the war although briefing says they wake up automatically in Jan. 1941....?

Yes, that's an oversight in the briefing. It's actually February 1941 when they automatically come in.
There's so many places it's stated when Russia comes in, I've missed some of them, so some places it correctly says Feb, some it says Jan from old versions.

Again, my apologies. I'll try to find the ones I've missed and correct them.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 39
RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR - 4/16/2010 6:32:09 PM   
Barthheart

February 14, 1941

Bomber Command strikes again! This time the shipyards at Hamburg with the largest raid yet, 900 planes. Dispite very heavy flak our boys manage to flatten half of the target and only lose 150 planes. No heavy ships were spotted in the docks unfortunately.

Italian submarines raid Alexandria! Somehow managing to slip through the port defenses, they manage to sink 2 cargo ships and ecsape unharmed.

On the diplomatic front, the Western Allies seemed to finally be getting through to Stalin about the dangers of an uncontrolable Germany. Sources say however that Stalin still does not trust the West after the events in Finland....
--------------------------------
16 LB II's and 2 old LB I's stike at Hamburg. He's got 6 immobile flak there! Raids must be getting to him... good! Do about 1900 PP damage but lose 1 LB and 2 LB II's. Three more LB II's are build by Canada.

Italian Fleet making its appearance again to shell bomber base in Crete. Managed to pull out fighters but lost a LB II. 2 More form Indian show up in Egypt.

Losing 2 cargo ships in Egypt buggered up the supply flow there this turn. Moved Egypt HQ to Cairo for protection. Rebuilding ships.
Italian army also seen moving closer to the frontier but no contact yet......
British subs venture into the sea of Japan and spot Jap landing craft at sea off of Formosa.... what are they up to?

Hope spring comes next turn... winter sucks! Wonder when Germany will strike Russia.......?

(in reply to explorer2)
Post #: 40
RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR - 4/17/2010 7:33:26 AM   
springer

Keep the AARs coming Bartheart!  It's great to get a sense of the game, and of ally strategy!  I get the sense that you enjoy those scenarios in which the player starts out as the underdog, but if the player can persist in the face of overwhelming force, growing production can eventually lead to triumph!

A good bomber campaign can give the axis a lesson in empathy, so they can "feel your pain"! Carry on!

< Message edited by springer -- 5/7/2010 12:27:17 AM >

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 41
RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR - 4/26/2010 7:55:34 PM   
Barthheart

March 14, 1941

Bomber Command continues to pound German cities! Large raid on Munich severlly cripples the industry there while a small raid on Breslau has no effect.

Bomber Command Med. hit factories around Belgrade.

Italian Navy shells Commonwelth troops in North Africa and enemy troops seen advancing across the frontier.

Japanese subs spotted patrolling of the coast of Singapore.... aggression to follow?
---------------------------
1 lone LB I sent to scope out Breslau gets shot down by flak. 13 LB II's sent to Munich, lose none and reduce it to 900 PP. 2 LB II's sent to Belgrade and do about 1900 PP damage. 3 new LB II's built... good month.

2nd N.Z. sub launches and 1st Aus. sub. These will be used to harrass Japanese supplies to China when the war heats up.

Building some troops and DD II's in Britian for commando raids to continent. Death by a thousand cuts.... I hope. All French ports have sizable garrisons so this maybe end up being a snipe hunt....

No signs of a Sealion.... so far......

Built some arty for N.A. to act as active shore defense against Italian Navy.

(in reply to springer)
Post #: 42
RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR - 4/30/2010 7:30:39 PM   
Barthheart

April 11, 1941

Bomber Command commended for action! Seemly the only offerd by the Allied forces.

----------------------------------------------
Large 19 LB II raid to Prague all but flatens the city, costs 2 LB II's. Samll raid to Sofia does 50% damage and small raid to Athens, 30% damage and cost 1 LB II.

More arty onto N.A. Italian naval shelling no effect this turn. Will shell his ships next turn if he doesn't move them....

Commandoes preparing to strike at continant just to stir him up a bit. DD's now only carry 2 so these will be small strikes at supply lines. Pics next turn for sure!

New airfield on India/Burma border to base LB II's for striking Jap Chinese holdings when war starts.

Subs, from Aus. and N.Z., starting to flood around Pacific.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 43
RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR - 5/1/2010 11:35:22 AM   
british exil

Barthheart, I know from experience those bomber raids you are carrying through will be hurting his war effor. He has to concentrate on rebuilding and defending the Reich.Plus his destroyed cities hamper his supplying and creating new troops.Otherwise he could be building an army which would just crush the East.

So even if you feel you are not doing "so much" you are hurting him.

I get the feeling that the West is having a realtively quiet time. No U-Boot attacks?No Battle of Britain or Sealion? Just the "lazy" Italians in NA? Or is there an Afrika Corps heading into the Med?

Looking forward to some screenies.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 44
RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR - 5/3/2010 7:30:24 PM   
Barthheart

May 9, 1941

Russia Invaded! German troops storm across the Russian frontier in what has to be the largest invasion in human history. In just a short period the evil Huns are more thatn half way to Moscow.

Bomber command keeps up the pressure with the successful bombing of Belgrade, Dresden and the bridges around Breslau. All of our gallant crews returned safely from these missions.

Royal Marine Commandoes have landed on the Continent! In several small but daring raids aimed at capturing ports and bridges all the landings went off without failure or loss.

---------------------------------------
Bridges down around Breslau cut it off from Berlin. Dresden down to less thatn 50%. Belgrade down to about 700 PP.

I'm at a standoff in N.A. With the loss of my Med. fleet the Italians have hoards fo troops in N.A. I have a decent force as well but not much supply.... not sure what to do here......

I'm sure you've all seen the Invasion of Russia in the Axis thread... no I didn't look but I can see the extent of his advancement ito Russia. This seems a bit much. The Axis powers are overpowered in this sceanrio now. It used to be Allied favoured but I'm not sure how Tom can surrvive this onslaught....

Also I didn't get the "Aide to Russia' card. Was this removed??

Attachment (1)

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 45
RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR - 5/3/2010 7:33:56 PM   
Barthheart

@springer
Thanks for reading.

@british exil
It seems my bomber campaign has done little to reduce the Axis juggernaught if he has made it that far into Russia in one turn.

We'll keep blasting away though and see how much of a pain I can be in the west....

Just waitng for the Japs to enter the fray....

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 46
RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR - 5/3/2010 9:26:23 PM   
british exil

It seems that the germans have finally got their act together. Storming east so early will have disrupted Tweber's plans for defense and he is no beginner. Does he stand a chance? You're haveing difficulties in the Med. Plus the further east he goes the supply prodution moves east with him so that your bombers will soon not be destoying more than he can produce over there.

Have you had any talks with the SU??

What about your plans to cross into the continent? How good is France garrisioned?

I know you're good at the game, but he'll soon have the Su in his grips then what? He'll return some of his vets into the west front and them Sealion will happen, just later.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 47
RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR - 5/6/2010 6:29:05 PM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: british exil

It seems that the germans have finally got their act together. Storming east so early will have disrupted Tweber's plans for defense and he is no beginner. Does he stand a chance? You're haveing difficulties in the Med. Plus the further east he goes the supply prodution moves east with him so that your bombers will soon not be destoying more than he can produce over there.

Have you had any talks with the SU??

What about your plans to cross into the continent? How good is France garrisioned?

I know you're good at the game, but he'll soon have the Su in his grips then what? He'll return some of his vets into the west front and them Sealion will happen, just later.

Mat

Not sure how Russia's going to make out.... could be very bad indeed.
We have talked but there's not much I can do to help him.
France is fairly well garrisoned, troops in every port, lots of flak.... Right now all I can do are raids to cut supplies off and cause trouble. I'm attempting to build a large-ish raid to capture a port then maybe be able to send more troops over.

I am worried that his game will not go well for the "Good Guys"! Hope Japan starts the war soona and the rest of the US joins....

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 48
RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR - 5/10/2010 4:52:13 PM   
Barthheart

June 6, 1941

British and French troops storm ashore at Antrwerp! City and ports captured undamaged. Amsterdam shelled by teh Royal Navy.

Bomber Command strikes at Germany industry. Munich, Breslau, Dresdenn and Prague all bombed. Sofia in the south also hit again. Bomber losses this month the worst since the start of the war.

In other news, the Japanese have launched a major offensive against China!

--------------------------------------------
Lost 5 LB II's and only built 2 this turn.... not good.

Not surpising but most of my small commando raids are wiped out. Denmarks Straits hold on though.... might be good if they can last another turn.

Antwerp was ungarrisoned (!?!) so I landed a commando brigade and then strat moved over a Free French unit and British unit totalling >100PP. Hopefully that triggers large French partisans...

Long range amphib transports arrive in England and load up for more heavy landings in France. All Axis garrisons that are spotted have Infantry IIIs though!!!! Must be nice to have PP to burn.....

Shown below is the developing sub net in the Pacific. Already spotted carriers at sea. 6 turns until war spreads in this theater!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 49
RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR - 5/12/2010 4:52:39 PM   
Barthheart

July 4, 1941

Bomber Command switches to bridges this month downing several major spans in Germany and Yugoslavia. Nearly 350 crews don't return however.

More landings in Europe! Antwerp reinforeced after holding to major German counter-attack! Failed landing at port of Cherbourg, all hands lost!
----------------------------
Lost 7 LB II's this turn, only built 1, for 3 bridges down, 2 at Prague and 1 at Belgrade. If I can down 3 or 4 more Berlin will be isolated from rest...

Exchanging arty with Italians in NA.

Landed troops near Cherbourg, Kiel/Hamburg, and in northern Denmark cutting supplies to various places.
Antwerp holds inspite of arty, air and 4 sided attack! Commandoes manage to leave city and strike out into Germany. Other troops there attack engieers that attacked them .... no more building for you! More troops pumped into Antwerp.
Tried to land at Cherbourg after shore bombardment and air attack. Lost 30-40 SFTs to only 4 of 10 Infantry III's! Landed more troops behind Cherbourg to cutoff supplies.

(Red = downed bridges, Yellow = targets to isloation)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Barthheart -- 5/12/2010 4:53:07 PM >

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 50
RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR - 5/17/2010 5:43:04 PM   
Barthheart

August 1, 1941

Black month for Allies! 4 of 5 landings on the Continent have been completely repulsed. Only in Denmark do we still have a foothold.

Bomber Command downs more bridges in Europe. Travel must be getting very difficult......
--------------------------------------
Well.. that didn't go so well. Reinforced the Danish adventure but not holding much hope there.
Because of really bad shape that Russia is in, I've started to build up British Isle defences.

Lost 2 LBII's, 2 built this turn, to take out bridges near Hamburg/Kiel. 2 more sets and Berlin/OKW will be isolated.... I hope.

Trying to build everything and get to LB III's is straining the economy... thankfully there has been no serious uboat threat this game.

(Red = downed bridges Yellow = remaining targets)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Barthheart -- 5/17/2010 5:44:04 PM >

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 51
RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR - 5/19/2010 7:34:13 PM   
Barthheart

August 29, 1941

Battle for Denmark rages on! Allied troops continue to rampage through Danish country side eluding German troops.

Bomber Commands Bridge busting contiues with good success. More air crews needed at recuitment centers however.
-------------------
2 bridges down east of Berlin for the cost of 2 LB II's. 3 LB II"s built this month.
Only 1 bridge left to isolate Berlin. I wonder if he'll react to my evil plan!

Arty shells traded in the desert. Lost a fighter strafing Italians.

Troops running around Denmark tieing up Axis troops.

3 turns until Japs have to attack US.... can't come quick enough.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 52
RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR - 5/21/2010 3:09:58 PM   
Barthheart

September 26, 1941

Disaster over Europe! Bomber Command reports very heavy losses in the skies over the Reich but declined to give numbers. Only 1 mission of 5 was successful.

Imperial Japanese Navy vessels have stepped up "training maneuvers" in the Pacfic. Could the war with China spread to the rest of the Pacific?
----------------------------------------
Wow... lost a lot of aircraft this round. But managed to blast the last bridge around Berlin.

Researched LB III! Now the real bombing campaign starts.

Japs have only 2 turns left to attack the west. Seas around Japan filled with Allied subs.......

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 53
RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR - 5/25/2010 4:50:29 PM   
Barthheart

October 1941

First 1000 bomber raid! Bomber Command reports that over 1000 bombers went to Hamburg in a single massive raid. Industry and port reduced to rubble. Many aircraft do not return.
----------------------------------------
First on LB III's join huge attack on Hamburg pretty much wiping it out.. Lose 2 III's and 4 II's but built 8 III's this turn. Looks like I need to take the last bridge from Hamburg to Kiel to make Berlin very isolated.

More arty to NA. Building road through the desert.

More subs in the Pacific. Iguessing next turn the Japs attack. Spotted long range landing craft off Borneo.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 54
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: World at War ver. T - Allied AAR Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI